DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 657
4 members and 653 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Trailer thieves are out in force
Unread
  (#1)
unapologetic

Trailer thieves are out in force - July 13, 2013, 03:40 PM

Just a heads up for you all that own trailers. Today I went to where I keep my trailer to pick it up and bring it home for a wash before the upcoming weekend to find that the coupler lock had been smashed off and the trailer had been moved. The thin sliding ball lock was bent and seemed to be what sent the thieves off. They had hooked it up to a truck and couldn't get the ball to seat all the way with the lock in the way, do they left the trailer in it's spot, although moved about 6 feet diagonally sideways in the spot. They also got hung up on the wheel chocks I use to make sure the trailer doesn't roll forward on me while hooking up. Made some calls to a friend that owns a business where I keep my trailer and he said that there have been 2 trailers stolen on that property in the last 3 months. He wasn't as worried (like I wasn't) as I park mine right outside his front door and they work long hours and sometimes on the weekends.

The sad part is; I don't keep bikes, pit gear, tools or parts in my trailer. Those are all in a storage spot. The thieves would have gotten an empty trailer with a GPS tracking device for all of their effort.

That being said, as I'm looking for new locks for the trailer, there are only really shitty reviews for most anything available to replace what I had on there before. Anyone have any experience with anything bombproof or anything that will at least SLOW THE THIEVES DOWN while they try to make off with a nice shiny expensive trailer? I can't imagine they were stealing it to sell it on the "underground used trailer market" with all of the VIN numbers, logos and custom upgrades that have been done but I'd like to make it as unattractive a mark as possible.

Thanks

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

July 13, 2013, 05:24 PM

Good lookin out!

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 13, 2013, 05:25 PM

The solution, of course, is to wire up Claymore mines to pressure sensitive sensors on the wheels

Trailer moves, boom!!

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

July 13, 2013, 06:00 PM

I was considering one of these.... now I am definitely getting one...

TRIMAX TWL100 Trailer Wheel Lock High Security Cargo on eBay!

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#5)
Typical Stripper

July 13, 2013, 06:51 PM

Just went and looked at mine and my hitch lock has been tampered with too....

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

July 13, 2013, 07:57 PM

Hollywood, terrible news.

An old HS friend who owns a landscaping business back on Long Island said the industry had a major problem with immigrant thieves breaking into and outright stealing trailers. They didn't care about the trailer, it was thousands of dollars of valuable landscaping equipment and fuel they wanted.

He said he bought a Denver Boot type of lock and attached it to wheel each night. If the trailer was going to be stored long term during the off season or while on vacation, he let the air out of the opposite side wheel and added a locking (keyed) wheel nut to one of the wheels so they could not replace it with a spare if they managed to defeat the boot - which someone did try on one occasion.

He also said another guy used the old school, zero cost method. He loosened the wheel nuts when the trailer was going to sit for long periods. They were tight enough to say reposition the trailer, or move it under low speed but if it were taken up to speed <BOOM> the wheels would fall off and the trailer hit the ground.

Of course this is dangerous for you if you forget to retighten the nuts before you depart. Leave yourself a note somewhere.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
unapologetic

July 13, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
The solution, of course, is to wire up Claymore mines to pressure sensitive sensors on the wheels

Trailer moves, boom!!
I'd rather have a few minutes with the would be thieves in the back of my trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
I was considering one of these.... now I am definitely getting one...

TRIMAX TWL100 Trailer Wheel Lock High Security Cargo on eBay!
Ordered two of those and another lock set this afternoon from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Hollywood, terrible news.

An old HS friend who owns a landscaping business back on Long Island said the industry had a major problem with immigrant thieves breaking into and outright stealing trailers. They didn't care about the trailer, it was thousands of dollars of valuable landscaping equipment and fuel they wanted.

He said he bought a Denver Boot type of lock and attached it to wheel each night. If the trailer was going to be stored long term during the off season or while on vacation, he let the air out of the opposite side wheel and added a locking (keyed) wheel nut to one of the wheels so they could not replace it with a spare if they managed to defeat the boot - which someone did try on one occasion.

He also said another guy used the old school, zero cost method. He loosened the wheel nuts when the trailer was going to sit for long periods. They were tight enough to say reposition the trailer, or move it under low speed but if it were taken up to speed <BOOM> the wheels would fall off and the trailer hit the ground.

Of course this is dangerous for you if you forget to retighten the nuts before you depart. Leave yourself a note somewhere.
I'm taking a few steps to immobilize the trailer now. I like the no lugnut idea, but I would want to get my property back without any innocent motorist getting killed by the thieves and their ill-attempted get away with wild loose wheels being hurtled at them. I'm hoping that after they get to whatever field they are going to park it in and after they find out that there is NOTHING of any real value inside of it that they walk away from it. Hopefully not until the GPS tracking vehicle finds it though.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 14, 2013, 06:11 AM

I was going to say get a Kryptonite New York noose and thread that through the wheels, but the boots will be better. You could also put motion sensing lights on the top. Thieves don't like that exposed feeling of being lit up. Wire them to deep cycle batteries inside the trailer and have a solar panel on the roof to keep it all charged. You could also use that same set up to power LED lights inside so you have light inside when not hooked up to a shore line or a running truck.
Unread
  (#9)
All weather rider

July 16, 2013, 12:17 PM

a few quick things you can do... to keep the draw bar/ball assy from being stolen and to prevent vibration, get one of these anti-rattle locks:
Tow Ready Anti-Rattle with Lock Review Video | etrailer.com

If you have a small trailer, remove the stock the ball socket (2", probably) and replace it with a 1 7/8" one. Most people don't have a 1 7/8" ball, so they won't be able take your trailer on the first try.

For the bigger trailers, cable locks and Denver boots.

For all trailers, a tamper-proof movement sensor rigged to a loud alarm will make the trailer less appealing to thieves.

Bottom line is trailers are by their nature easy to steal.
Unread
  (#10)
Typical Stripper

July 16, 2013, 12:25 PM

Also, those of you that don't, insure your trailers. It's cheap and worth it.

Unread
  (#11)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 16, 2013, 01:39 PM

I need to go look at my trailer. Been a while since I checked up on it. Of course it is locked (Gorilla Lock on the hitch, American Standard everywhere else including the chains, in a locked enclosure, and in a limited access facility patrolled by the police. So off hours it's actually pretty difficult to even get near. Makes thievery a bit more difficult.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

July 16, 2013, 02:02 PM

neighbors had 3 trailers in fairfax at their house. One had a real nice r1 and the other two just had landscaping and construction equipment. Trailers were broken into a couple of times. They never touched the bike they only took the landscaping and construction equipment.
Unread
  (#13)
Qualify or Quit

July 16, 2013, 03:31 PM

And yet these fuckers never take a bike when you want them to....lol

-Not intended to be a factual statements.

I can't pull over......I forgot which ones the brake.

"I though that life was a bad bitch bad car,
Life is with your kids watching madagascar"
-Clipse
Unread
  (#14)
GDMFSOB

July 16, 2013, 06:44 PM

Get a couple alarm decals too. Even if you don't have an alarm in it. Put one on the coupler, side and rear doors.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.