DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 407
1 members and 406 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The Tree of Life: 2011 Brad Pitt & Sean Penn
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Post The Tree of Life: 2011 Brad Pitt & Sean Penn - October 10, 2012, 10:43 PM

Ok i have been talking about this movie for the past day or so. Anyone watch it? If you like Nolan Thought provoking films Malik is the godfather of them all. The only film of his I recall watching is The Thin Red Line.

This film is about two forces....Nature and Grace. It is more of a visual movie vs. narrative one. It show the parralllel of the creation of the earth and the life of a family in Texas 1950s. Nature is strong, conflictual, hard-edged, and violent; whereas grace is gentle, loving, and forgiving. Both are constantly in play, constantly in tension with one another, and somehow both are part of God’s design. Both nature and grace are grounded in God and are part of his providential design. The brutal and the gentle; the violent and the peaceful; the competitive and the cooperative come together in a way that produces the rough order that we see in the cosmos and in human affairs.

The father, played by Pitt, is a decent man who loves his children, but he is, first and foremost, a disciplinarian, eager to make his boys tough and self-reliant. He is the embodiment of the principle of nature.

The mother, Chastain, is the avatar of grace. She is playful with her children, exuberant, lively, sensitive, quick to forgive.

The movie seems to be based on the book of Job in a sense...
It movie opens with a quotation from the book of Job: “where were you when I founded the earth…while the morning stars sang in chorus and all the sons of God shouted for joy” (Job 38: 4,7)

Movie is deeply rooted in religion even the title is out of the bible...Adam and Eve, after having eaten of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, were expelled from the Garden of Eden and denied access to the Tree of Life.

Most know me as the biggest..um...lets say "Dark Relm fanatic" around. But I started life as one of the faithful who lost his way...or....found the dark light.

Watch this and Im sure you will feel a certain way after.....
Then get the DVD/blu ray....worth owning and you will have to watch it a few times to see and hear whispers play all through the movie...anyone seen this?

This was the Draw for me....listening to the song Lacrimosa: ((latin for Weeping))

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

January 1, 2013, 11:24 PM

finally got around to watching this today. good shit. i'm definitely going to pick up the dvd or bluray at some point. the cinematography and music were outstanding. gave me the chills throughout. good looks von for putting me on to this.

to anyone else wanting to check this out, it's definitely not your standard tell-you-a-story type movie. there's actually not much of a story line at all. i'd think of it more like looking at a great photograph. it explicitly tells a very small story, but it provokes some feelings, and the overall meaning is really left to whatever it means to each viewer. It's a lot about provoking questions and thoughts about god and meaning, and how these issues play out on a micro scale in terms of the life of an individual family. i'd say just watch it and let your mind wander about what these things mean to you.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I use my turn signal

January 2, 2013, 12:38 AM

Posting to remind to watch later

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#4)
Silence... I keeeel you

January 2, 2013, 06:08 AM

Downloading now. Holding you responsible if it sucks Von.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

January 2, 2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
Downloading now. Holding you responsible if it sucks Von.
lol. fair warning, like von said, it's not a narrative story. the wife (and i would suspect many other people as well) never got into it and thought it was boring as hell.
Unread
  (#6)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

January 2, 2013, 09:57 AM

Great movie. Watched it earlier this year.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 2, 2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
lol. fair warning, like von said, it's not a narrative story. the wife (and i would suspect many other people as well) never got into it and thought it was boring as hell.
As religious as my mom is....she watched it Sunday and said...she didn't like it.
She didn't understand it.

She only like the old shit because it reminded her of her days growing up.

She needed a direct story line to follow this.
I told her b4 hand the story is sort of left up to you...

It have the slightest of stories... Nature vs. Nurture.
Sean Penns ultimate question of what am I here for? what is the purpose of life?

That is the question, but it was left un-answered.
I think it is fair, because we just do not know what we are here for, or the meaning of life....it is an individual thing.

Anyway, it is a movie you will either Love or Hate hahahahahah

I just wanted to share to some looking for a totally different kind of movie.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin