DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 236
3 members and 233 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Truck bed tents...
Unread
  (#1)
Typical Stripper

Truck bed tents... - April 12, 2013, 07:14 AM

The wife and I were thinking about doing some more camping this year and possibly using a truck bed tent. We have a 120v plug in the truck and a sliding rear window for a fan or whatever.

Does anyone have experience with these? Recommend a brand or model? Tips tricks?

Our truck is a '12 F150 FX4 short bed

2012 Ford F-150 Long bed (approx. 8 ft.) Sportz Truck Tent III - Best Price on Napier Sportz 55 Series Truck Tent 3

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

April 12, 2013, 07:28 AM

Nate this is how I camp. Let me find you the links to what I got.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

April 12, 2013, 07:37 AM

This is what I have.
Truck Tent | Truck Bed Tents | CampRight

Rightline Gear 110830 CampRight Full Size Standard Bed Truck Tent 6.5' : Amazon.com : Automotive Rightline Gear 110830 CampRight Full Size Standard Bed Truck Tent 6.5' : Amazon.com : Automotive
Rightline Gear 110830 CampRight Full Size Standard Bed Truck Tent 6.5' : Amazon.com : AutomotiveRightline Gear 110830 CampRight Full Size Standard Bed Truck Tent 6.5' : Amazon.com : Automotive

I almost went with the sport truck tent, but based on reviews and with with rightline.
Ive had it for 3 years and it works great.

My setup is this, then i put my EZ-up at the end of the tailgate to overhang. I can sit on the tailgate, or a few feet past and still be under the ez-up.

I bought a couple of these door mats for when I hop down off the tailgate.
Shop Blue Hawk 36" x 36" Rubber Door Mat at Lowes.com

Bit better than hopping down to the grass. I keep my cooler on the ground so that I use it as a step to get up on the tailgate and into the tent. My water usually hangs off the ez-up or the tailgate to take my "shower" and such.

My biggest advice is use a Futon mattress. I had a blow up one. It ended up being a PIA. I never sleep well on them. I just got an extra thick futon mattress that i keep rolled up with bungie. So for travel, or if you need room in the tent when not sleeping, its easy to get it out of the way. And IMO the mattress is so much more comfortable.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; April 12, 2013 at 07:39 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

April 12, 2013, 09:17 AM

Cool - I will check that out. I think its going to be fun to camp on the beach like this.

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 12, 2013, 09:18 AM

That looks like a cool idea

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

April 12, 2013, 09:38 AM

I had a Sportz Truck Tent II, I sold last year at my yard sale for $30 :-/

The Sportz III is out. I really liked it. Used it a few times and it was fantastic.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

April 12, 2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
Cool - I will check that out. I think its going to be fun to camp on the beach like this.
It is by FAR the best way to camp. Last time I went it rained the 2nd day. While everyone else was dealing with water in their tent..via runoff, i was perfectly fine.

The only issue really was it getting hot from body heat.. But no difference than most tents.

Cool thing about this tent is that you can connect it through your rear slide window. One night i started the truck for a bit and turned on the AC full blast. Cooled off my tent very nicely...lol

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#8)
Would rather be riding

April 12, 2013, 09:48 AM

I have one (forget the brand) for my F150 Supercrew. I use it when I truck to ralleys. Easy set up and works awesome.

2011 BMW F800GS
2005 SV650N - Sold
Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

April 12, 2013, 09:51 AM

So I run at like 100 degrees, really hot... I sleep in a 65 degree room with my right leg hanging out while my poor wife shivers under 4 blankets.

Best way I figured out to deal with it is a cot. I have one from REI and it is THE best way to stay cool. Plus it doubles as storage underneath inside the tent so it works out quite well.

Nate, get a Sportz truck tent and a couple of pallet cots (flat, not the hammock kind) and you're done. Airbeds suck balls, always deflate.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#10)
Typical Stripper

April 12, 2013, 10:14 AM

I hear that Ben I am the same way. You should get another one and we can do some family camping trips LOL

Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 12, 2013, 10:18 AM

another good way to camp if you run hot like I do is simply a cot with a bug net, open air.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

April 12, 2013, 10:20 AM

Nate said the beach, so he will have the ocean air blowing on the tent. With the flaps open, he should sleep like a baby hearing the ocean crash and breeze.. now im jelly...

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#13)
2 wheels for life

April 12, 2013, 10:22 AM

I just put my 20 dolla walmart tent on the truck bed

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#14)
Typical Stripper

April 12, 2013, 10:23 AM

Yea I really miss going to the beach more so that is going to change and this would be a cool way to do it. OBX here we come LOL

Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

April 12, 2013, 10:27 AM

when you going? I will be in corolla for a week may 25-jun1

Alex
13 Honda Fury