DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 256
3 members and 253 guests
Diggy, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Truck owners question.
Unread
  (#1)
Contributor

Truck owners question. - February 14, 2010, 12:15 PM

I'm in the market for a used truck. I plan on using it as a full time vehicle in place of my car. I'd like to know what has worked for those of you who own a truck. Especially if you use it to transport your bike or trailors. Any I should avoid at all cost? So far I'm looking at chevy, ford and dodge. If you know a sales person you trust or recommend please pass on the info in a PM or here in the thread.

Thanks

Luck

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

February 14, 2010, 12:28 PM

toyota tundra ... I have an old 02 access cab SR5 V8. Gas milage is better then a V6. Very smooth ride, only issue was a ball joint recall. 160k miles, no problems.

I don't use it as my primary car. 35 mpg in a car for a 84 mile/day commute doesn't hurt as much as it would in the truck.

06 gsxr 750
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Silence... I keeeel you

February 14, 2010, 12:31 PM

I have always believed in getting older trucks and keeping a nice car. I want a truck I don't worry about putting a ding in. You buy a brandy new shiny truck...then you get mad when you scratch it with a loading strap or whatever. Keep the fuel efficient car and get a beater truck. I recommend diesel. I love mine. I better mileage (I can get 25mpg on the highway if I keep it around 60-65) and still have 550 foot pounds of torque and a 15,000lb towing capacity.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#4)
Silence... I keeeel you

February 14, 2010, 12:33 PM

If you do have to have a truck. What size are you looking for? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton ?

Unread
  (#5)
Contributor

February 14, 2010, 01:22 PM

Looking to haul the bike around to track days. The dodge stratus is old and while I have it I don't know how much longer it will last. I am not worried about the look as much as I am about getting decent mileage and being able to haul things around. I'm pretty sure a 1/2 ton would be fine for what I am looking to do. Thanks again for any additional info.

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#6)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

February 14, 2010, 01:23 PM

I currently have a 2009 Toyota Tundra...love it but gas mileage sucks (Like most gas trucks) it gets between 13mpg-20mpg(Highway)

If I had to do it over I would buy a used diesel truck and buy a diesel car for commuting to work.

CCS #133 AM

For all of your oil and filtration needs go to www.dc-moto.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

February 14, 2010, 01:52 PM

Love my Black 2007 Silverado 1500 new body style LTZ(Fully loaded, leather, etc) 4x4 Extended cab with 6ft bed, 20 inch wheels. My bike is usually my primary vehicle as I ride year round but lately I've been using my truck and loving it. I get comments all the time from commuter sluggers I give rides to about how nice ti looks and rides.

I have a Tonneau roll up cover on it and bedliner so I have no issues carrying items in the bed. It stays dry too. I can roll it up to carry a bike. So cover is a must have. I have the VMAX 6.0L motor so I can easily pull anything I have except for a 4 horse trailer. Can pull the 1-3 horse with no problems. I have no issue carrying anything and worrying above damaging the body in any way. Just dont let anyone load stuff in the truck, people are careless and dont really try to hard not to damage your stuff.

I can also easily load bikes into the bed as it does not sit too high. I've had a bizzilion cars or so it seems and I can honestly say this truck is one of the most comfortable and best vehicles I have ever owned. It's plowed through this very deep snow we had in the two last snow storms. The Mich LTX tires are awesome. Nothing has stopped it yet even snow above my knees. So you dont need knobbie tires unless you need traction in muddy conditions, better to have a tire like the Mich LTX which gives you a great ride but yet great in snow, rain, etc. It also has stability control and traction control. Traction control can be turned off. Also has a tow button on the column used to remap changes ratios, etc when towing. You can also use when you want a bit more kick out of the motor.
My wife has the 2500 with goose neck hitch to pull the 4 horse. If you plan on pulling alot of weight frequently go for at least 2500HD with or without diesel. Go with Diesel if you dont mind it.
Dont go with the smallest engine available if you plan on pulling different things of varying weight. Better to have a bit more power than needed and deal with less mpg than to one day need the power but not have it. I always get the largest engine regardless as I'm addicted to power. DO NOT go with the largest engine if you want better MPG.
Don't get 2 wheel drive only. Make sure what ever you get can have the 4x4 turned off into 2 wheel drive mode. That will help with MPG. My truck has a round knob I can turn for 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel auto mode, 4 wheel full time high and 4 wheel full time low. I can switch it at any speed.

I may be selling it very soon as I'm looking for something with a smaller payment than $330 a month and for other reasons. It's gonna be heard to find something that will fit the bill with a way smaller payment than the $330 I'm paying for the truck. I'm look at some Subaru Legacy GT Turbo or Infinity G35.
Now if you were looking for a truck as a second vehicle and just to bag around in then that changes alot of what I said above.
Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

February 14, 2010, 01:54 PM

I had a ford ranger 4x4 from 2000 - 2005. I've had my FX4 F150 since 2005. Both have been solid trucks. Never had anything major with either of them.

My F150 had NO issues with any road ways this past winter storms. I didnt even need pile a bunch of snow in the back. It just goes.

I dont have any other experiences with any other truck brand. If you can find a low mileage F150 for a decent price, I doubt you will have any issues.

My 2005 has 46K miles on it.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#9)
Ling Long

February 14, 2010, 01:54 PM

There's a reason Ford is the number 1 seller of trucks in the US. Viva la F150

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#10)
Silence... I keeeel you

February 14, 2010, 04:23 PM

If you're just hauling your bike around you can get away with a 1/4 ton. Like a ranger, S10, frontier, etcetera. I'm not a believer in the NEED for 4wd around here. Since I have lived here I can count maybe 3 times I would have liked 4wd (the last 2 snows being 2 of them...and dropping the tire pressure down to 10psi and filling the bed with snow worked like a champ) The 1/4 trucks with a 4 cylinder get the best gas mileage. They can also be had much cheaper. They don't have the cool factor of a bigger truck though. Keep in mind that you can always get a car and tow your bike with a small open trailer. The Harbor Freight fold up ones can be towed by pretty much any car. Hidden hitch makes hitches from most cars. Just a thought.

DC-Moto. I love my TDI jetta. 50+mpg

Unread
  (#11)
2 wheels for life

February 14, 2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
If you're just hauling your bike around you can get away with a 1/4 ton. Like a ranger, S10, frontier, etcetera. I'm not a believer in the NEED for 4wd around here. Since I have lived here I can count maybe 3 times I would have liked 4wd (the last 2 snows being 2 of them...and dropping the tire pressure down to 10psi and filling the bed with snow worked like a champ) The 1/4 trucks with a 4 cylinder get the best gas mileage. They can also be had much cheaper. They don't have the cool factor of a bigger truck though. Keep in mind that you can always get a car and tow your bike with a small open trailer. The Harbor Freight fold up ones can be towed by pretty much any car. Hidden hitch makes hitches from most cars. Just a thought.

DC-Moto. I love my TDI jetta. 50+mpg
I saw someone put a hitch on a civic

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Got my Permit

February 14, 2010, 04:37 PM

I have a 98 f-150 with 165k and a 2004 super duty diesel with 135k. Both run strong. The newer f-150's are great "get around" trucks, but the mileage is not so great. If your looking to just haul bikes i would look into a Tacoma 4x4 with a manual trans. They get great mileage and are nearly indestructible.
Unread
  (#13)
Owner & Creator

February 14, 2010, 04:39 PM

looking for truck or SUV? I might be selling my suv.
Unread
  (#14)
Ling Long

February 14, 2010, 04:45 PM

You still have that big white expedition?

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#15)
Get Tarded!

February 14, 2010, 05:40 PM

Great used all around used trucks to haul your bikes etc that hold up well;

Toyota T100
Old Toyota Tacoma's
Old Toyota Tundra's
Any Style Dodge Dakota from 92 up with a 3.9, 5.2, 5.8, 5.9
Older than 92 only if its a Carrol Shelby edition, or V6-V8 convertible.
Ford Rangers avoid like the plague (service nightmares) and ride like crap.

As for used half tons.
GM and Ford both are great
as for Dodge 1500's with solid axle's they tend to tear up ball joints and bushings in the front end faster than the other models (but it is a solid axle and most came with factory 4" lift so they tend to do better in the snow and are cake to work on)

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650