DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 1,416
3 members and 1,413 guests
fxc3700, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Truck tires?
Unread
  (#1)
On vacation

Truck tires? - January 12, 2013, 09:13 AM

So I need to replace the tires on my F-150. Ive currently got the Pirelli ATR on there and have no complaints but I really don't have anything to compare them to. The guy at my local shop is trying to push me towards the Goodyear LS2 but I'm looking at the tread pattern and it seems designed for straight highway cruising and even though I don't do any off-roading, I inevitably end up in the dirt sometime when riding my dirty bike. Any suggestions?

I dig the LS2's price at $139/each but want to make sure that I get something that won't strand me if I drive in a little mud, dirt, or grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

January 12, 2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
So I need to replace the tires on my F-150. Ive currently got the Pirelli ATR on there and have no complaints but I really don't have anything to compare them to. The guy at my local shop is trying to push me towards the Goodyear LS2 but I'm looking at the tread pattern and it seems designed for straight highway cruising and even though I don't do any off-roading, I inevitably end up in the dirt sometime when riding my dirty bike. Any suggestions?

I dig the LS2's price at $139/each but want to make sure that I get something that won't strand me if I drive in a little mud, dirt, or grass.
Mark,

I've always been a fan of BFGoodrich A/T tires. Not too noisy on the interstate, but great grip for the snow/mud/dirt/gravel/rocks. Not as knobby as the BFGoodrich M/T.

Ask Von Stallin... I think he got new tires on his truck recently and we had this discussion before.

Safe Riders Who Just Talk Shit: Talk Nasty, Act Classy.

"It's true man. You ride more moderately by default . . ." - NoOtherIDs
"You sound like a very advanced rider McFly" - Slider
"I'm that Beast out here." - Circa Nice
Unread
  (#3)
GDMFSOB

January 12, 2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post

Dave swears by the Pirelli Scorpion. He is on his second set. Another option is the Goodyear Wrangler Wrangler ATS. I think that is what Rob has on his. I had the GY on my jeep and was pretty impressed.
FWIW, the LS2 look look like what I have on my wagon . Even so, I have not been able to drift the wagon without turning ASC and TC off. So I know they grip in snow. Then again, your truck is 2wd, no?
Oh, and not to argue with McFly but the BFG..... never on my vehicle. They turn into slicks in mud and take a lot of wheel spin to clean out.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

January 12, 2013, 09:48 AM

Driving intelligently, you can get away with anything. If you do a significant amount of highway driving, get the street oriented tire. If you end up in the dirt, remember you're on a street tire and drive sensibly.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#5)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

January 12, 2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Oh, and not to argue with McFly but the BFG..... never on my vehicle. They turn into slicks in mud and take a lot of wheel spin to clean out.
No offense taken... that's a very fair point. A/T aren't mudding tires. My favorite sets of mudding tires were Mud Kings and TSL Super Swampers.

Safe Riders Who Just Talk Shit: Talk Nasty, Act Classy.

"It's true man. You ride more moderately by default . . ." - NoOtherIDs
"You sound like a very advanced rider McFly" - Slider
"I'm that Beast out here." - Circa Nice
Unread
  (#6)
On vacation

January 12, 2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
Mark,

I've always been a fan of BFGoodrich A/T tires. Not too noisy on the interstate, but great grip for the snow/mud/dirt/gravel/rocks. Not as knobby as the BFGoodrich M/T.

Ask Von Stallin... I think he got new tires on his truck recently and we had this discussion before.
Cool, I'll hit him up. I looked for a thread on here but couldn't find one.

Quote:
Dave swears by the Pirelli Scorpion. He is on his second set. Another option is the Goodyear Wrangler Wrangler ATS. I think that is what Rob has on his. I had the GY on my jeep and was pretty impressed.
FWIW, the LS2 look look like what I have on my wagon . Even so, I have not been able to drift the wagon without turning ASC and TC off. So I know they grip in snow. Then again, your truck is 2wd, no?
Yeah, those are the Pirellis I have now. They've done great for me so far but at $240+ each, I was hoping to find something a little less expensive. Yep, I've got the FX2. Looks like the Wrangler is almost the same price as the Pirelli. I'm looking now at the Yokohama Geolandar for $185 each, just wondering if road noise is gonna become a problem. Decisions, decisions....

Quote:

She asked my opinion

Quote:
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#7)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

January 12, 2013, 10:09 AM

Avoid the Dualer AT's like the plague. My buddy the mechanic (I can give you his information if you want.) is going to hunt up a decent tire for me in the springtime. Mine are cupped and worn, but not dead yet. Because of that they are loud and annoying. Ugh.

Let me know what you finally decide on. I'm curious. I had done some research on a board and thought I picked decently. My experience tells me otherwise.

Mud

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

January 12, 2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Avoid the Dualer AT's like the plague. My buddy the mechanic (I can give you his information if you want.) is going to hunt up a decent tire for me in the springtime. Mine are cupped and worn, but not dead yet. Because of that they are loud and annoying. Ugh.
That is a balance/alignment issue. I have the same tire on my dodge and they are completely smooth and are worn perfectly (albeit the rears a bit more than the fronts haha)

-Joe

17 Beta 250RR/RE
09 Husky WR177
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Gots_a_sol  
Unread
  (#9)
I'm a llama again!

January 12, 2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah I have the Wranglers not a bad tire but when I need new ones I will get the Scorpions.

Marc if your plan on going off road with your rig, what you really need, is good tow points front and rear.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#10)
On vacation

January 12, 2013, 11:50 AM

I don't plan on doing any off-roading aside from the parking areas at the different dirt tracks. I think I might jump on the Geolandar's and see how they do. Moderately priced and a tread pattern that I'm more comfortable with in dirt and some snow if we ever see any.

Quote:

She asked my opinion

Quote:
Unread
  (#11)
GDMFSOB

January 12, 2013, 01:12 PM

Don't overlook the Cooper Discoverer AT3 either. Cooper makes some really good rubber. I had their STT on the Jeep and, although a more agressive tire, held balance and round very well. I put about 25000 miles on them before I sold the Jeep and never had to balance again.
Just a thought.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#12)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

January 12, 2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gots_a_sol View Post
That is a balance/alignment issue. I have the same tire on my dodge and they are completely smooth and are worn perfectly (albeit the rears a bit more than the fronts haha)
Normally yes. But I've had mine aligned.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

January 12, 2013, 02:24 PM

How about balanced? Mine were cupping a bit until I got them balanced* and now they have worn correctly since.

* Mine are dynamically balanced, which means I spent a bit of money and bought these things Centramatic

After putting them on, my truck vibrated substantially less (which it is a 20 year old truck and was the biggest plus of having them) and the tires wore back in normally/straight.

-Joe

17 Beta 250RR/RE
09 Husky WR177

Last edited by Gots_a_sol; January 12, 2013 at 02:34 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Gots_a_sol  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

January 12, 2013, 02:38 PM

For general use I'm liking the cooper ht 60 k. I live on a pretty steep hill, with other extremely steep hills near me, and have no trouble getting going from a dead stop in the snow (albeit with 4x4).
Unread
  (#15)
I use my turn signal

January 12, 2013, 06:54 PM

Costco Tire Center has everything you'll need. Might have some in stock, if not special order them and they'll be in in 3-5 days. Free lifetime flat repairs, and free rotation and rebalancing. If you get a flat and it is non repairable it's considered a road hazard and you'll pay next to nothing for a brand new tire.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65