DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
2 members and 561 guests
2blueyam, beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Trying to buy a TV....
Unread
  (#1)
TPG og

Trying to buy a TV.... - October 3, 2011, 04:50 PM

Aite I'm clueless when it comes to TV technology and all that. I'm moving to a 1 bedroom apartment on Friday and want a badass tv. There's LCD, LED, and DLP. Which ones the best bang for the buck? I like good picture quality but don't need to see people's pores. Will most likley not be getting cable and streaming from laptop or boxee setup to, or hack up the wii into a media center. I was thinking of some 42-48'' jank, with some hdmi inputs for the lappy. Anyone know what burns out quicker, what needs bulbs and all that replacing, what will keep my electric bill cheap? I'm looking to spend $600 max.

There seems to be some weird brands on Amazon, I don't wanna buy the Hyundai of TVs....

Hulu Plus looks good and cheap, Netflix, youtube HD, bootleg sites and everything else I can gank off of usenet.

Last edited by b00st; October 3, 2011 at 04:55 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#2)
#swag

October 3, 2011, 04:58 PM

dealnews: Best Deals Online - Daily Deals and Coupons

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#3)
Knarly Adventurer

October 3, 2011, 05:12 PM

Don't forget to buy the best American made TV you can find.

if not, people will think you are a poser

good luck with that

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

October 3, 2011, 05:13 PM

also beware of 6 month old tv's that are three years old...

Here's and edge lit LED 47 inch on sale at costco with everything you need and more:
Costco - VIZIO 47" Class LED Edge Lit LCD HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
Knarly Adventurer

October 3, 2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Suzuki is making TV's?

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

October 3, 2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
Aite I'm clueless when it comes to TV technology and all that. I'm moving to a 1 bedroom apartment on Friday and want a badass tv. There's LCD, LED, and DLP. Which ones the best bang for the buck? I like good picture quality but don't need to see people's pores. Will most likley not be getting cable and streaming from laptop or boxee setup to, or hack up the wii into a media center. I was thinking of some 42-48'' jank, with some hdmi inputs for the lappy. Anyone know what burns out quicker, what needs bulbs and all that replacing, what will keep my electric bill cheap? I'm looking to spend $600 max.

There seems to be some weird brands on Amazon, I don't wanna buy the Hyundai of TVs....

Hulu Plus looks good and cheap, Netflix, youtube HD, bootleg sites and everything else I can gank off of usenet.
The answer to this can get very technical and order can be re-arranged depending on how much money you plan on spending and the length of time you plan on holding onto the TV.

But generally speaking:
Cost: Plasma > LED > DLP > LCD

Best picture quality: Plasma > DLP > LED > LCD

Burns out the fastest: DLP > Plasma > LED > LCD

Best brands - Panasonic Vierra is killing it right now. Sony does a good job, but nothing special. Samsung, lately has up and down quality. You have to go model by model to assess.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

October 3, 2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
Don't forget to buy the best American made TV you can find.

if not, people will think you are a poser

good luck with that
They still make Zenith TVs?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Derpetologist

October 3, 2011, 05:38 PM

LEDs burn out?

btw, my understanding is LED is an LCD screen with an LED backlight.

LCD TV refers to one with a fluorescent backlight.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 3, 2011, 05:46 PM

How to Buy an HDTV

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#10)
What are we doing here???

October 3, 2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
The answer to this can get very technical and order can be re-arranged depending on how much money you plan on spending and the length of time you plan on holding onto the TV.

But generally speaking:
Cost: Plasma > LED > DLP > LCD

Best picture quality: Plasma > DLP > LED > LCD

Burns out the fastest: DLP > Plasma > LED > LCD

Best brands - Panasonic Vierra is killing it right now. Sony does a good job, but nothing special. Samsung, lately has up and down quality. You have to go model by model to assess.
I have no idea how to decipher that code. Here is my spin. To make it easy, stay away from DLP. Since you have a 1 bedroom apartment, you don't have the space for it, it is old technology and not very many manufactures make it anyway.

I'm a Plasma guy since I normally watch sports and it seems to give the best picture with fast moving scenes to my eyes. Not saying that LCD and LED don't give good picture but they seem to have to work a lot harder to give the same picture as Plasma. Go to a store, check out the differences and form your own opinion but be warned, most places jack up the color and brightness while in the showroom so you won't get a true representation of how it will look in your living room. AVS Forum is a wealth of knowledge of anything you ever wanted to know about entertainment systems.

lastly, if you are going below 42 inches, you will be ok with 720p. One of the industry secrets is that you only experience true 1080i with Blu-ray and you can't tell the difference on smaller sets. HD broadcasts are done in 720 so don't get caught in the hype behind 1080i vs 720. Go for 1080i if you can but if you spot a killer deal and it is only 720p, jump on it. You won't miss very much. Go as large as you can afford and have fun.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Unread
  (#11)
RIP Jeff Vega

October 3, 2011, 08:05 PM

Bobby...buy a Vizio, for the money, not much is better. If you don't have a Costco membership, I will meet you in Frederick and you can use mine. If you want, I will put it on my Costco Amex and you get another year's worth of warranty for free.

If this is something your interested in, shoot me a pm.
Unread
  (#12)
RIP Jeff Vega

October 3, 2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Here's and edge lit LED 47 inch on sale at costco with everything you need and more:
Costco - VIZIO 47" Class LED Edge Lit LCD HDTV
Good deal for sure

For an apt, I think this would be perfect...
Unread
  (#13)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

October 3, 2011, 08:09 PM

My 48 panasonic plasma has been mobbing for about 4 years now...only downide is that it doesnt have the computer hookup in back to use as a monitor...

im due for an upgrade and this will go upstairs

but im thinking LED...

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Unread
  (#14)
What are we doing here???

October 3, 2011, 08:32 PM

I wanted to trade up to a 60 inch Sharp LED from my 50 inch Panasonic Plasma but I can't justify the purchase since there isn't a thing wrong with mine. Maybe in a few years when the price of LED comes down and the market is not so crazy, I will look more at it. A guy at work and I were talking and he thinks that TV technology is starting to be like computers where you will need to "upgrade" every few years. I see his point but I'm not buying into that. I know the new thing is 3D but I can definitely live without it.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Unread
  (#15)
Being nice :)

October 3, 2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
Bobby...buy a Vizio, for the money, not much is better. If you don't have a Costco membership, I will meet you in Frederick and you can use mine. If you want, I will put it on my Costco Amex and you get another year's worth of warranty for free.

If this is something your interested in, shoot me a pm.
This is a good guy w/ good advice. Go with this.
VIZIOs are ridiculous at Cosco.
Great picture, great price. /
mid $500s. Im looking into either a 42'' or a 47'' to wall-mount in my MR at the moment.

You're Welcome...