DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 545
1 members and 544 guests
boomboom929
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
TV Question
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

TV Question - May 21, 2008, 01:06 PM

I know this has been discussed time and time again, but I just wanted to gauge your opinons on this particular set. We are looking to upgrade, but trying not to break the bank doing so. I was originally looking the 52" - 56" range, but given the budget and the room its going in, a 47" is just right. So Ive been doing some shopping around and Im looking at this set right now (LG - 47LG50). ~$1600 at best buy and circuit city:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202649424358

Cnet ratings are higher than Sony's entry level Bravia and it does seem to have a lot of the same features as its competitors. What I like is the number of inputs, the fact that its 1080p, and the 15,000:1 contrast ratio (ive seen higher, but so is the price tag. Samsung has a set with a 35,000:1 ratio, but its also $2k). What I dont see is a digital comb filter and im wondering how important that is for the LCD sets. Ive also seen a lot of sets with 120Hz refresh rates while this only has 60 hz. Again, as with the contrast ratio...those sets are priced much higher. All in all, how do you tech gurus think this set stacks up? How important are things like contrast ratio, refresh rate, and filters as far as quality is concerned?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ninja in Training....

May 21, 2008, 01:39 PM

My girl and I looked at that as well when we were looking. We ended up going with the Pioneer that was the same size but IMO the LG has a brighter picture and is a good buy.

The key questions are what are you going to use the TV for?
Movies or mostly TV watching? Are you a gamer?

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#3)

May 21, 2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner78
My girl and I looked at that as well when we were looking. We ended up going with the Pioneer that was the same size but IMO the LG has a brighter picture and is a good buy.

The key questions are what are you going to use the TV for?
Movies or mostly TV watching? Are you a gamer?
Thanks man. We are going to use it for watching tv and movies. Maybe some gaming soon. Just havent gotten around to buying a console (even though even my dad now has 360 and Wii).
Unread
  (#4)
Ninja in Training....

May 21, 2008, 02:04 PM

You won't go wrong with the LG they have very good quality stuff. Is this going to be Plasma or LCD?

- Craig

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#5)
Mr. Glass

May 21, 2008, 02:06 PM

damn justin, your dad is a gamer. lol

get this LG, ive been looking at it also.. its nice man.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#6)

May 21, 2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner78
You won't go wrong with the LG they have very good quality stuff. Is this going to be Plasma or LCD?
Its gonna be LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman
damn justin, your dad is a gamer. lol
HAHAHA! I dont know what his deal is! He loves COD4. I think he plays to avoid my mom
Unread
  (#7)
Mr. Glass

May 21, 2008, 02:12 PM

my dad is a home theatre nut too, he does it to avoid my mom

06 Black 10R

Quote:
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#8)
Brainwash Your Face!

May 21, 2008, 02:17 PM

New TV! WE WILL GET A Wii.

Yeah Justin's father is a funny guy...he does the whole headset thing and whatnot. His set up is sweet

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#9)
Mr. Glass

May 21, 2008, 02:28 PM

thats awesome!!! glad to see you got a gaming dad.. my dad is a wii addict. Its hilarious watching a guy whos 60 rockin some we golf and mario cart.

06 Black 10R

Quote:
Quote:

Unread
  (#10)
Ninja in Training....

May 21, 2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal
Its gonna be LCD

HAHAHA! I dont know what his deal is! He loves COD4. I think he plays to avoid my mom
Okay then you definitely won't have to worry about the power consumption and heat the plasma's give off. Just make sure you don't have any blind spots like you do with LCD monitors and your good.

- Craig

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
Unread
  (#11)

May 21, 2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman
thats awesome!!! glad to see you got a gaming dad.. my dad is a wii addict. Its hilarious watching a guy whos 60 rockin some we golf and mario cart.
Yeah, my dad has always been very active. Avid fly fisherman. Camper. Sport shooting (Competitive IPSC), builder (decks, fences, etc.). Unfortunately due to some recent health complications, he isnt able to do a lot of what he used to. I guess at 61 he has slowed down a lot. I think he has the games to keep himself occupied. He isnt very good at them, but he has fun. He loves watching my brother come over and play COD4 because he just racks up body counts. My dad laughs his ass off. Like my brother will post up an snipe someone from clear across the board and my dad will be in the background, "BLAM! Smoked 'EM!" Im afraid too much of this and he is gonna have a 'Nam flash back so maybe mario kart and bowling on Wii will be better for him

Anyways, nuff about that. Thanks for the input on the set guys!

Last edited by JTG40cal; May 21, 2008 at 03:37 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

May 21, 2008, 03:37 PM

All these things you have to ask yourself, does it have all the plugs I need? If the answer is yes, look at it. Take the best looking (forget the numbers, they're nasty lies) one of the bunch in the price range.

I'm a projector guy myself. It sounds like he could be easily converted. The screen setup and mounting and all that are projects in themselves. And afterward, you're playing on a 100". I only have about 10 feet of throw distance and I have well over 80 inches in my media room. Kinda makes 47" sound tiny doesn't it?
Unread
  (#13)

May 21, 2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter
All these things you have to ask yourself, does it have all the plugs I need? If the answer is yes, look at it. Take the best looking (forget the numbers, they're nasty lies) one of the bunch in the price range.

I'm a projector guy myself. It sounds like he could be easily converted. The screen setup and mounting and all that are projects in themselves. And afterward, you're playing on a 100". I only have about 10 feet of throw distance and I have well over 80 inches in my media room. Kinda makes 47" sound tiny doesn't it?
HAHAHAA! Dude, my condo is 700 square feet. I dont even have 80" of free wall space! I know what you're saying though. A buddy of mine in college about 8-9 years ago used to have a projector. He would play dvds from his computer onto the wall. He would also play games on it. He was kinda a mushroom eating recluse so his set up was niiiiiice. You would go over there sometimes and he would just have pron playing. All of a sudden there is a 5 foot cack on the wall.
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

May 21, 2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal
Yeah, my dad has always been very active. Avid fly fisherman. Camper. Sport shooting (Competitive IPSC), builder (decks, fences, etc.). Unfortunately due to some recent health complications, he isnt able to do a lot of what he used to. I guess at 61 he has slowed down a lot. I think he has the games to keep himself occupied. He isnt very good at them, but he has fun. He loves watching my brother come over and play COD4 because he just racks up body counts. My dad laughs his ass off. Like my brother will post up an snipe someone from clear across the board and my dad will be in the background, "BLAM! Smoked 'EM!" Im afraid too much of this and he is gonna have a 'Nam flash back so maybe mario kart and bowling on Wii will be better for him

Anyways, nuff about that. Thanks for the input on the set guys!
Yeah, +1 on LG... Sounds like a good set fit for the gaming Dad...

BTW, how do you turn a Karaoke DAD to a Gaming DAD.. My dad does the Karaoke alot and it's getting old... I think he's doing it to avoid everyone. One time, one of their neighbor started complaining. I'm surprised they haven't called the cops on him.

Anyway, good luck.
Unread
  (#15)

May 21, 2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipNRSix
Yeah, +1 on LG... Sounds like a good set fit for the gaming Dad...
The LG is gonna be for me and Sharon. My dad has his set. Its an old, boxy, rear projection, but still has a great picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipNRSix
BTW, how do you turn a Karaoke DAD to a Gaming DAD
Show him Rock Band on 360! Once he gets going with that he'll want to check out more games.