DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 584
3 members and 581 guests
davidcycle, Diggy, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unbuntu Edge phone
Unread
  (#1)
B
It goes to 11.

Unbuntu Edge phone - July 22, 2013, 02:45 PM

They're crowdfunding over at Indiegogo. I threw $600 at it just because I've always been a fan of Unbuntu and I think this application is where mobile devices are going.

The concept is a dual boot Android phone with Unbuntu loaded, quad core proc, ton of ram, and 128GB of storage. The idea is that you would essentially doc it with larger screens to be able to utilize it's potiential fully, beyond the 4.5" screen and phone functionality.

Anyway I think it's probably going to fizzle a little, but represents the direction mobile devices are going. Bigger screens use too much power, are difficult to carry, but a device that could tap into TVs or alternate output devices interests me a lot.

They've lowered the crowdsource price for one day only here - Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#2)
Stand Collector

July 22, 2013, 02:51 PM

oh very cool.

899 Panigale
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
turn or crash....

July 22, 2013, 03:05 PM

Wish I had the $600 to "donate" but without a guaranteed phone that is more $$ than I could risk. I like the idea etc.. will likely kick in $30 though as I'm down to support open source and alternatives.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

July 22, 2013, 03:09 PM

$600 is a big chunk of change. The only thing not guaranteed is delivery of the phone which could be delayed. If they don't source the money needed then it is refunded.

I like the idea of going out, snapping pics with my phone, taking it home and hooking up to a screen to browse the internet and work. This won't be a gaming console, but I am excited to see what they develop.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#5)
Sewing Machine Rider

July 22, 2013, 03:26 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

July 22, 2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Similar concept but not really the same application. This will host an internal OS along with the Android phone OS, significantly more memory, horsepower, storage, and functionality. In the end it will also match the pricepoint ($600) of most of these phones when they are not subsidized.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#7)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

July 22, 2013, 06:04 PM

I saw this on Reddit earlier. How does it work with carriers?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#8)
Member of SRWJTS

July 22, 2013, 07:32 PM

can I get $600? I've got long hair and nice thighs.

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
Unread
  (#9)
Site Owner

July 22, 2013, 09:21 PM

Not seeing the point of dual booting an OS running an underpowered ubuntu on a phone. How often are you somewhere where you have a monitor/keyboard/mouse available and NOT a computer hooked up to it?

If you really need a unix box on a phone, hook the phone to a display and use iSSH or something to connect to your remote unix box.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

July 23, 2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Not seeing the point of dual booting an OS running an underpowered ubuntu on a phone. How often are you somewhere where you have a monitor/keyboard/mouse available and NOT a computer hooked up to it?

If you really need a unix box on a phone, hook the phone to a display and use iSSH or something to connect to your remote unix box.
That's why I think it will flounder, we don't have those clear glass motion sensing screens we can lay our devices down in front of and automatically access them. The infrastructure isn't here yet. As for underpowered, maybe for gaming or heavy duty graphic manipulation, but it will do 99% of what 98% of the people on this website do all day on a machine. 100% of the time, 60% of the time.

iSSH is assuming you have universal connectivity, which may not work in all applications. Sometimes it's good to have the data in your palms.

Anyway I thought it was a neat idea. It's GSM/Edge/4G so it would work with ATT/Tmobile/Rogers, but not Sprint/Verizon/Alltel. It would be compatable with overseas carriers in AF, NE, EUR, far east, etc. Basically everyone else.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

July 24, 2013, 09:02 PM

Docking phone concept was attempted three years ago by Motorola. I forget the model name but it went no where.

Before this OQO released a full on Windows handheld PC the size of a Walkman which could dock to a larger screen; it also became a novelty and died.

The docking thing never seems to work out well.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 25, 2013, 03:07 AM

I like their dreams of hardware ("fastest quad core processor", lol), design and the saphire front glass.

They are going to fall short in either battery life, processing power, form factor or functionality.

I would rather see an intel atom based phone running a slimmed down version of x86/x64 windows 8.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#13)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 25, 2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I like their dreams of hardware ("fastest quad core processor", lol), design and the saphire front glass.

They are going to fall short in either battery life, processing power, form factor or functionality.

I would rather see an intel atom based phone running a slimmed down version of x86/x64 windows 8.
I would rather go back to DOS 3.1 instead of Win 8

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 25, 2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I would rather go back to DOS 3.1 instead of Win 8
You can probably run DOS3.1 on current smartphones...

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 25, 2013, 05:37 AM

id rock ascii facebook interface

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time