DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 567
3 members and 564 guests
Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Site Admin

December 10, 2003, 08:43 PM

The Flag of the United States of America

Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the American flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The 2nd fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing our ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.

The 6th fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that We pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States Of America, and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding us of our nations motto, "In God We Trust."

After the flag is completely folded! and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges and freedoms we enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have deep meaning. In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you will know why.

Share this with others who love the symbol of "Liberty and Freedom"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

December 10, 2003, 09:03 PM

Cool - Did not know that^

Did you know that on a military base, there is only one truck? It's a part of the flagpole.

Does anyone know their 4th General Order?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

December 10, 2003, 09:07 PM

I didn't know that either. Good info.

STREET DREAMZ RYDERZ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to princess0823 Send a message via MSN to princess0823  
Unread
  (#4)
BE ENCOURAGED!

December 11, 2003, 06:13 AM

[quote=Does anyone know their 4th General Order?[/quote]

Well, I've been out of the Marine Corps for 18 years but I believe my 4th general order is:

Repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.

Why do you ask?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 11, 2003, 07:44 AM

Myths.

Actually the 21 gun salute originated with the cannons on warships in the 14th century. When they approached land they would fire seven shots as a sign of not being hostile. Having more gunpowder available to them, the land batteries would respond with 3 shots for every one the ship fire. The seven shots was selected because of astrological or Biblical reasons.

When the quality of gunpowder improved and it was less likely to go bad while at sea, ships also adopted the 21 gun salute.

The History Channel recently had a show about this.

As far as the flag folding. This is just a popular script that was created and adopted after the fact. Per U.S. Code and military manuals there is no official meaning to the folds. The Flag Code does not even call for a ceremonial folding. It is strictly traditional.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

December 11, 2003, 12:20 PM

[quote=GUZZLER]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Does anyone know their 4th General Order?[/quote

Well, I've been out of the Marine Corps for 18 years but I believe my 4th general order is:

Repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.

Why do you ask?
Military trivia-I know the Army had three general orders, did not kniow the USMC had 4. The (unwritten)4th: I will guard my post from flank to flank and take no sh!t from any rank
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 11, 2003, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Military trivia-I know the Army had three general orders, did not kniow the USMC had 4. The (unwritten)4th: I will guard my post from flank to flank and take no sh!t from any rank

We have 11, rather than three long ones. Plus the extra one.

1st To take charge of this post and all government property in view.

2nd To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.

3rd To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.

4th To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.

5th To quit my post only when properly relieved.

6th To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all orders from the commanding officer, officer of the day, and officers and noncommissioned officers of the guard only.

7th To talk to no one except in the line of duty.

8th To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

9th To call the corporal of the guard in any case not covered by instructions.

10th To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.

11th To be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#8)
Richard Cranium

December 12, 2003, 06:12 AM

[img]http://drs.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=military+pride/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/images/mjohnson.jpg[/img]

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R