DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 515
2 members and 513 guests
Heist, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
VA Safety Inspection VENT
Unread
  (#1)
T.R.I.T.D.H

VA Safety Inspection VENT - February 25, 2010, 02:21 PM

So I go to my normal, shady inspection station, you know the one where everything passes if need be...and boy am I in for a surprise!!!

I should have known something was up when it was taking longer than the usual amount of inspect time, and the inspector kept starting my car and wanting to jack it up. So he calls me in..."I want to show you something"...

You see your tires? Yes, I know they are low but I was told the limit is 5/32 (just throwing out numbers...can't remember the legal limit). He then tells me to feel my wear bar...okay...and? I'm thinking I've rode bike tires down to cords...we are talking about a truck here...has four tires. They got worn b/c I had them underinflated (that's another story). I will be buying tires when my tax credit arrives no need to expense that out of other funds. So he goes on and on about my tires, then says but THATS not why I'm going to REJECT you!!!

Reject? What is this word, reject? He goes you have one fog light that is out!!! I go yeah...and...I don't ever use them! I told him how the lens fell out one day I let my mother borrow my truck and I went to replace the lens but you can't JUST BUY THE LENS you have to buy the WHOLE housing at $100...so I'm thinking $100 bucks for something that never turns on...uh NO. So the inspector blurts the standard if you have them then they have to work. So ask him how much to remove them??? (I'm in work clothes and I don't have my tools with me). He estimates $50-$60!! I said you ESTIMATE $50-$60, I go okay just give me the keys, I'll be right back in 15 minutes. He states he will put a rejection sticker on my car, I go NO...I don't want it logged that this car was rejected. He goes it won't matter it just gives you 15 days...I told him I'd be okay w/o it and he tells me you are gonna get a TICKET for $50 bucks why not put it on??? So I ask him to put it on but don't write it up, just put a blank sticker on there. He tells me he can't do it. So I say well then give me my old sticker back that doesn't expire until Feb 28th plus a grace period of 5 days. He says it's removed...and destroyed. I tell him I'll be back, and he asks me to pay for the rejection sticker $16. I ask him so when I get back all you have to do is put the pass sticker on right free of charge? he goes yeah buddy!

So I go right down the street, my boy puts my truck up on a lift we get the fog lights out and taped and tied. Back to the shop in less than 15 minutes literally. The inspector is looking at me funny. so he is inspecting another car and i walk to 7-11 to get a hot dog and juice, and left my truck to keep my place in line. So I go back in the shop and all the other guys are arguing with him b/c clearly they see this is a freakin joke of a deal now with my truck. So he pulls it in puts on the sticker and comes back and goes...$1 re-inspect fee. I go WHAT.......you told me there were no more charges. So I say, OKAY $1 re-inspect fee and laid it on the counter and walked out the station. Hopped in my truck and left.

What was supposed to be a 30min ordeal on my lunch turned into a 2 hour ordeal.

I mean the dude failed me for FOG lights when I have almost faulty tires on my truck!! Yea I know I need new ones, yeah I know they are a "safety" issue, but they are not all the way bad...but damn everyone is trying to make a BUCK....

lol..he even asked me before I left HOW MUCH IS YOUR FRIEND GOING TO CHARGE YOU TO TAKE OUT THE LIGHTS.....I just laughed at him....

I wonder what is the crash rate due to faulty equipment on a vehicle versus states that have/do not have mandatory safety inspection.....one time I took my bike to a different sure thing inspection station and goes this is a joke, you ride a motorcycle bike you don't need safety inspections cars do see you ANYWAYS, why am i testing your horn and lights....lol

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

February 25, 2010, 02:49 PM

cant help you there and is true what he says, n tire min 4/32. now next time i got the hook up.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold
2004 R6 blk/red Sold
2007 zx10r blue Sold
2005 zx6r red Sold
2003 R6 blk sold
2007 zx6r blk sold
2003 R6 red sold
2001 ducati 900ss sold
1996 zx6e sold

Xbox 360 - (Mohawk Ryderz)
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

February 25, 2010, 02:51 PM

Move to DC, no safety inspections!
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

February 25, 2010, 03:00 PM

Re inspection is $1.

Failing you for fog lights is a bit sketch.

Calm down and grow up, he is doing his job.

Why things are in a state of disrepair is moot.

The fail sticker means nothing and goes on no record.

All you accomplished was to be a dick to a mechanic.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#5)
PewPew

February 25, 2010, 03:04 PM

I honestly don't see the big deal. Law is law, the guy was doing his job. I also don't see what the big deal was with the rejection sticker. You didn't want it logged as rejected? All it does is place a temp sticker on the vehicle until the issue is resolved... it's not like an insurance claim that goes on a carfax report or something

The "shady" joints will let some things slide but I've never heard of an inspection station letting a burnt out light pass, it's simple buisness since most people will generally say "Ok, go ahead and fix the light" which = more money for the shop.

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#6)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 25, 2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
Re inspection is $1.

Negative.

The story was told for amusement purposes and illustration. In reality, we were both straight forward. He wanted to reject my car for the joke of a safety inspection VA has...and I wanted to just take my truck back and go down the street to the next shop that would pass it....I've gotten too many of these inspections to know when something is legit or not. Tires were not bald...they were on the verge of being replaced.....and FOG LIGHTS...dude I control when and when to turn them on or off....that's like failng me b/c I can't get a certain radio station...ITS NOT MANDATORY TO HAVE THEM ON. This whole episode wouldn't exist if we were talking tail lamp or head lamp or SOMETHING IMPORTANT.

However I knew there would be responses along the lines such as yours Be responsibe, do the right thing, be 2 legit 2 quit and all of that.....

Dude when I went to the shop I knew the potential shortcomings of my truck...tires and fog lights. BUt if you are gonna play the fail game play it all the way. Don't half ass it. Dont tell me my tires are fail but I'm not gonna fail you for that, but I will fail you for fog lights so we can have some one repair them for you on spot to make an extra sum of money...that is NOT how you conduct STATE business.

Lastly, A good friend of mine is a mechanic....I respect mechanics who are respectful PEOPLE...fuck just b/c he is a mechanic I'm not suppoese to be a "dick" as you say to him. The dude tried to jerk me underneath the shield of a VA Safety inspection. I mean the point is to have a safe car...not use it as a cloak to drive in business to your gas station!!!!!!

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#7)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 25, 2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaGhost View Post
I honestly don't see the big deal. Law is law, the guy was doing his job. I also don't see what the big deal was with the rejection sticker. You didn't want it logged as rejected? All it does is place a temp sticker on the vehicle until the issue is resolved... it's not like an insurance claim that goes on a carfax report or something

The "shady" joints will let some things slide but I've never heard of an inspection station letting a burnt out light pass, it's simple buisness since most people will generally say "Ok, go ahead and fix the light" which = more money for the shop.
1) I've never had any BRIGHT PINK ASS REJECTION sticker on my car...EVER until 15 minutes today. A) Embarassing B) Yells PULL ME OVER C) I just generally don't like negative connotations associated with me.

2) The "light" was a $100 fix which would have had to been ordered and waited on.

3) This isn't a big deal b/c NOW my truck has the pass sticker....I just didn't want to bother my personal friends with this shit so I'm whoring it out to .net...yep.

Unread
  (#8)
Officially Addicted to Posting

February 25, 2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC
So I go to my normal, shady inspection station, you know the one where everything passes if need be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
so we can have some one repair them for you on spot to make an extra sum of money...that is NOT how you conduct STATE business.

something about these two just seems a bit off
Unread
  (#9)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 25, 2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2 View Post
something about these two just seems a bit off

You could possibly make a good lawyer one day but right now this isn't the time to show off how you can piece shit together out of context...

So shady may not have been the choice word I was looking for...I wanted to say seedy but usually I associate that when talking about a rundown strip club.

but you got me. Anyways I know what I'm saying...not doing a good job at putting it out. sue me.

Unread
  (#10)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

February 25, 2010, 03:23 PM

if u think va inspection is tough look into MD 10x worst, but it is only 1 time deal, when u buy a car new or use, va is a hustle.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold
2004 R6 blk/red Sold
2007 zx10r blue Sold
2005 zx6r red Sold
2003 R6 blk sold
2007 zx6r blk sold
2003 R6 red sold
2001 ducati 900ss sold
1996 zx6e sold

Xbox 360 - (Mohawk Ryderz)
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Officially Addicted to Posting

February 25, 2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
You could possibly make a good lawyer one day but right now this isn't the time to show off how you can piece shit together out of context...

So shady may not have been the choice word I was looking for...I wanted to say seedy but usually I associate that when talking about a rundown strip club.

but you got me. Anyways I know what I'm saying...not doing a good job at putting it out. sue me.
sounds like you went to the place specifically because it was shady, and now you want to feign shock that they did something shady.
Unread
  (#12)
Give me the Ban Button!

February 25, 2010, 03:31 PM

So you took a car in to get inspected knowing that it would fail on 2 counts and than got pissed off cause he only failed you on one count.

Sure…..that make complete sense to me.

Or is it that you are pissed off cause you were told this guy will pass anything but than found out that your information was wrong.

You got busted trying to pass a vehicle that shouldn’t have passed. Don’t be pissed at the state or the mechanic be pissed that you didn’t get away with what you were hoping to get away with and call it a lesson learned.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#13)
Retired to most ...

February 25, 2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Negative.

The story was told for amusement purposes and illustration. In reality, we were both straight forward. He wanted to reject my car for the joke of a safety inspection VA has...and I wanted to just take my truck back and go down the street to the next shop that would pass it....I've gotten too many of these inspections to know when something is legit or not. Tires were not bald...they were on the verge of being replaced.....and FOG LIGHTS...dude I control when and when to turn them on or off....that's like failng me b/c I can't get a certain radio station...ITS NOT MANDATORY TO HAVE THEM ON. This whole episode wouldn't exist if we were talking tail lamp or head lamp or SOMETHING IMPORTANT.

However I knew there would be responses along the lines such as yours Be responsibe, do the right thing, be 2 legit 2 quit and all of that.....

Dude when I went to the shop I knew the potential shortcomings of my truck...tires and fog lights. BUt if you are gonna play the fail game play it all the way. Don't half ass it. Dont tell me my tires are fail but I'm not gonna fail you for that, but I will fail you for fog lights so we can have some one repair them for you on spot to make an extra sum of money...that is NOT how you conduct STATE business.

Lastly, A good friend of mine is a mechanic....I respect mechanics who are respectful PEOPLE...fuck just b/c he is a mechanic I'm not suppoese to be a "dick" as you say to him. The dude tried to jerk me underneath the shield of a VA Safety inspection. I mean the point is to have a safe car...not use it as a cloak to drive in business to your gas station!!!!!!
Being that I manage a shop with a state inspection bay I'll weigh in on this.

1) Fog light or reflector light or brake light ... if it's got light in title and it's on the car it has to be DOT approved and functional. Does not matter to the state if you never use it or never turn it off.

2) Tires fail if a tread wear indicator is exposed AND touching pavment. It's at the inspectors discretion when it's that close. State min tread wear is 2/32 of tread.

3) State law requires him to remove the sticker from the car when it's pulled into the bay and it does not matter if the sticker had a day left on it or a month.

4) The rejection sticker is required to be on the car before it leaves the bay. This is also state law.

I couldn't really tell from your post if you were playing your post up as joke but it came across like you were pissed and being an ass to the inspector. I hope that wasn't the case but the inspector was dead on and did his job right. Also ... if you knew the tires would prolly be an issue and knew the fog light was busted yet your sticker was STILL GOOD why were you even in the inspection line?? You knew it was gonna fail and then got mad that it did.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#14)
opossum puncher

February 25, 2010, 03:38 PM

Its not state business, the business end is the shop, the state end is just the standards of inspection. They are giving you the option with the fail sticker to fix the repair yourself or to take it to other places.

I agree though, fog lights should not have been an issue (edit, saw Johnnys post, guess it is), and the tires, as long as they are 4/32 (edit again, guess its 2/32) they pass, and he misled you about the $1 re-inspection fee. Ive been on the screwed end of an inspection with my car before, I was failed and told the rear brakes we're in need of replacement, I took the car home pulled the drums off and saw that the rear drum shoes were almost as thick as the new ones I just bought.

Reported the business to the BBB and told the owner and mechanic off, got my pass sticker and left. They were sketchy people (shell station on Franconia Rd near Buealah)

My favorite shop for inspections is the Cheveron off Dale, ask for Love (its actually the dudes name), stand up guy, big motorcycle fan.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!

Last edited by zx6rfool; February 25, 2010 at 03:40 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#15)
Knarly Adventurer

February 25, 2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
Re inspection is $1.

I'm gonna side with zx6rfool on this one. Sounds like the guy was doing his job. I would be greatful that you got of with a buck and had to yank some busted lights off... you could of been paying for four new tires. I'm honestly not really seeing the problem. I understand that this is just a rant and your not looking for any real info or input, but this has sort of sent me in to a lil rant. I absolutely can not stand it when people bitch about safety inspections... cars or bike... especially bikes. If you know your shits not legit... why are you mad or surprised. Make your vehicle legal and safe and inspections will be a stress free walk in the park.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD