DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 602
2 members and 600 guests
Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

View Poll Results: Question for Veggie people
Go Veggie because I hate hurting animals 1 33.33%
Go Veggie because I need to be more healthy 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Veggie or Non-Veggie
Unread
  (#1)
2 wheels for life

Veggie or Non-Veggie - January 6, 2010, 10:16 AM

So I am a veggie for a few days(for the first time in my life) and feel its so hard .. specially in the US .. some places don't even have a veggie burger .. I miss eggs so much ..

SO the question for the non-veg to veggie turned people is How did you substitute your non-veg desires with veggies and what are some of the substitutes you use for protein .. ohh and they must be easily cookable

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Addicted to Cajen food...

January 6, 2010, 10:18 AM

Yea, I really should go veggie, for reasons... but I guess I'm like you, my cravings get the best of me... nothing beats a good burger.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
#swag

January 6, 2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
So I am a veggie for a few days(for the first time in my life) and feel its so hard .. specially in the US .. some places don't even have a veggie burger .. I miss eggs so much ..

SO the question for the non-veg to veggie turned people is How did you substitute your non-veg desires with veggies and what are some of the substitutes you use for protein .. ohh and they must be easily cookable
Why stop eating meat now?

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#4)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 6, 2010, 10:21 AM

I don't understand the poll....

with that....

Eat Meat and Die Free....

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

January 6, 2010, 10:22 AM

I'm no veggie, but the Sunflower restaurant makes some tasty General Tso's
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
TPG og

January 6, 2010, 10:23 AM

If God didn't want us eating them why'd he make their flesh so delicous, especially in a nice sauce on top of rice?

jk.....don't stop there. I don't eat anything that cast a shadow.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-ov...t-cravings.htm

"
The body gets used to a specific diet and changing it drastically by eliminating all meat overnight is setting yourself up for a fall. Instead, wean yourself off meat by taking one meal a week in which you’d normally eat meat, and substitute a vegetarian meal instead. If you like to cook you might want to pick a weekend night so you have more time to prepare. Try a different meal each week to build a repertoire of vegetarian dishes you enjoy. In 4-6 weeks, add another vegetarian meal to the diet, gradually reducing meat and finally eliminating it. Becoming a vegetarian slowly should help to reduce or eliminate meat cravings.
In order to overcome meat cravings it is also important to understand them. According to some experts there are two types of cravings: psychological and physiological.
Psychological cravings are temporary, and if ignored, will usually pass in 15-20 minutes. Triggers for psychological cravings can include smells, such as driving by a fast-food restaurant, work-related stress, turmoil in a personal relationship, excitement or boredom. These triggers can create cravings for our favorite fast foods or treats like ice cream or sweets. The best way to avoid giving in to a psychological craving is to distract yourself with a task, chore, hobby, exercise or sugarless chewing gum. The craving will pass if given a chance.
Physiological cravings are very often triggered by a drop in blood sugar and can create light-headedness, shakiness, and a tired feeling. These cravings do not pass and should be satiated as this is the body’s way of telling us we’re lacking something we require. To overcome meat cravings, try eating something high in protein such as a soy-based food, legumes, or cottage cheese. If the craving is for fat try a palmful of peanuts, a few almonds or a shake.
Avoid “nurturing” meat cravings. Try the methods above but if nothing works eat a small amount of meat to satiate the craving. If this does not stop the craving it is more likely a psychological craving. Many people are raised eating meat and associate mealtime (and eating meat) with family and good feelings. Cultural influences can also affect the way we feel about food. Give yourself and your body time to make those same positive associations with your new vegetarian diet.
Finally, it is easier to go from a meat diet to a vegetarian diet, than to go from a meat diet to a vegan diet. Vegetarian diets can include dairy products and eggs. Although calcium and other nutrients can also be gotten in a vegan diet, you will likely overcome meat cravings easier by taking “baby steps.” If the ultimate goal is to go vegan, consider letting the intermediate goal be vegetarianism.
Another important factor is to stay hydrated. Often food cravings are triggered by a lack of fluids. Drink a glass of water every couple of hours and your stomach will stay fuller.

It is also important to incorporate new foods into the diet and not just eliminate meat while keeping everything else the same. There are many prepared vegetarian meals in the freezer section of most grocery stores. These include everything from soy burgers to “buffalo wings” and “chicken” patties. In the luncheon meat section you can also find meatless bologna, “ham,” “turkey” and hot dogs – all made from high-protein, low-fat soy. Buy fresh veggies and fruits, and pick up a vegetarian cookbook. Italian and Mexican foods make great vegetarian meals, and when you enjoy what you're eating it is much easier to overcome meat cravings.
As you make the switch to a vegetarian diet, meat cravings will lessen with time. Don’t beat yourself up as you go through the dietary change, but allow it to occur naturally. Your body will start to feel better on a vegetarian diet and you’ll soon be craving those foods instead. Eventually there will come a day when you’ll realize you haven’t eaten or craved meat in weeks or months. The thought of eating meat will be unappealing and a vegetarian diet will be your new, healthier way of living. "

Last edited by b00st; January 6, 2010 at 10:26 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#7)
BE ENCOURAGED!

January 6, 2010, 10:23 AM

Yeah the whole animal abuse thing kinda falls short because it has been proven that vegetables have feelings too. As a matter of fact there is a college course available on Vegetable torture available on line now from Lettuce Abuse U.

I have actually done the veggie thing on and off a few times for health reason. There are some Fantastic cookbooks out there that really allow you to make fun and delicious dishes.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#8)
Full spin ahead.

January 6, 2010, 10:24 AM

Wish I could. I could do veg (not vegan) for a while if I lived next to a good South Indian restaurant.

I wouldn't exactly call it super healthy, though. Some veg/non-vegan food uses a lot of butter and cheese (calorie-dense), thus there are more than a few overweight vegetarians.

If you are going for health or weight-loss, a raw veg diet might be better.

Also, Sunflower restaurant in Vienna is AWESOME.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#9)
2 wheels for life

January 6, 2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
Why stop eating meat now?
I learned Reiki so I shouldn't eat it for 21 days .. I am done on 18th Jan

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#10)
Addicted to Cajen food...

January 6, 2010, 10:27 AM

Isn't it based on fasting though? Did they update it for 2010? Sorry, know nothing about it, just looked it up...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
2 wheels for life

January 6, 2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
I don't understand the poll....
I am just trying to figure why a person decides to stop eating meat .. doesn't make sense to me . hence the poll .. I don't know of any other reasons so couldn't add more options in there

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#12)
Street Bonk Bum.....

January 6, 2010, 10:29 AM

Mmmm Bacon

CCS AM # 204
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
2 wheels for life

January 6, 2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzu View Post
Isn't it based on fasting though? Did they update it for 2010? Sorry, know nothing about it, just looked it up...
Our teacher said 21 days of veggie but she allowed alcohol

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#14)
I miss you Jeff

January 6, 2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post

You miss eggs? So you're going Vegan not just vegetarian?

~Jennifer~

LaoTzu: "Life is like a box of chocolates, you take a bite out of one and throw it back in the box if it sucks."

Rossi: "You are the SCHMOOPIFIER!"

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/coppermi...SpicyTWAT1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to cajen  
Unread
  (#15)
opossum puncher

January 6, 2010, 10:30 AM

Coworker went vegetarian for semi health reason, stomach issues. He notes that its hard at times to feel full. Sometimes he will have fish.

Your standard proteins are beans, nuts, grains. Soy is the most dense protein you are going to find. Yogurt isnt bad either.

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html

I should cut down, but its just soo damn tasty. Really I just need to cut out all the processed food.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool