DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
0 members and 553 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Verizon Wireless to offer Apple iPhone in January
Unread
  (#1)
Mojito Anyone?

Verizon Wireless to offer Apple iPhone in January - June 30, 2010, 08:33 AM

Verizon Wireless to offer Apple iPhone in January - USATODAY.com

Verizon Wireless will start selling Apple's iPhone next year, ending AT&T's U.S. exclusive on the phone, say two people familiar with the plans.
The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn't public. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and Jeffrey Nelson, a Verizon Wireless spokesman, declined to comment. AT&T also declined to comment. USA TODAY was unable to independently verify the reports.
Speculation on a Verizon iPhone has been rampant in the tech blogosphere. If the reports are true, the iPhone, which has been the sole domain of rival AT&T in the U.S. since June 2007, will give Verizon a boost in its smartphone competition, UBS analyst John Hodulik says. Verizon customers, who numbered 92.8 million at the end of the first quarter, may buy 3 million iPhones a quarter, he says.
"Apple is going to dramatically increase the number of devices it sells in the U.S. when exclusivity at AT&T ends," Hodulik says. "It's hard to ignore the quality issues that AT&T has faced."
Verizon Wireless, which is building a high-speed fourth-generation network, plans to unveil several devices that will run on the new technology in January at the Consumer Electronics Show, CEO Lowell McAdam has said. Verizon's CDMA-based wireless network differs from the GSM technology AT&T's network is based on.
The iPhone has helped AT&T add subscribers even as the U.S. mobile-phone market nears saturation. In the first three months of this year, about a third of AT&T's iPhone activations came from customers new to the carrier. Without those 900,000 new subscribers, AT&T might have posted a loss in contract customers that quarter, analysts say.
AT&T has battled customer complaints about its network and dedicated an extra $2 billion to upgrade it this year.
A Verizon partnership is a victory for Apple over rivals such as Research In Motion and Motorola, whose phones are promoted by the carrier. Motorola makes Droid phones that use Google's Android operating system. RIM makes BlackBerrys. "For Apple, it means a larger addressable market," says Andy Hargreaves, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities. "It's also good news for Apple in that it will spread the load on the wireless data networks."
Apple has sold more than 50 million iPhones since their introduction. The latest version, iPhone 4, sold more than 1.7 million units in the first three days after its June 24 debut.
A release at Verizon in the first quarter would help Apple's sales in the U.S. grow to at least 15 million units next year from 11 million in 2010, Barclays Capital analysts said in a note Tuesday. Apple's suppliers have been ramping up production of components for a phone on Verizon's CDMA network, according to the research report.
2010 Bloomberg L.P. All Rights Reserved

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 30, 2010, 08:58 AM

old rumor is old.

We'll see.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG og

June 30, 2010, 09:01 AM

Did AT&T run out of royalty fees?

No Verizon nooooo. You were supposed to help Google slay the Apple demon!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#4)
Traction Control

June 30, 2010, 09:12 AM

FFFFFRRRRRREEEEEEDDDDOOOM

fuck everyone that just bought an iphone. I'll hold my 3g until Jan

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini

Last edited by Tecknojoe; June 30, 2010 at 09:59 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#5)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

June 30, 2010, 09:12 AM

I had Verizon at one time, the service was fine but the plans with data were pricey.
When I switched to AT&T (when the iPhone 3G came out) the service was mediocre, now years later the service is just as good (if not better) than what I remember my Verizon service being.

I only see the service getting even better once a good chunk of iphone users switch to Verizon.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

June 30, 2010, 09:17 AM

Since Joe stretched the window out..and cuban didnt put spaces in the article.

Verizon Wireless will start selling Apple's iPhone next year, ending AT&T's U.S. exclusive on the phone, say two people familiar with the plans.
The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn't public. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and Jeffrey Nelson, a Verizon Wireless spokesman, declined to comment. AT&T also declined to comment. USA TODAY was unable to independently verify the reports.
Speculation on a Verizon iPhone has been rampant in the tech blogosphere.

If the reports are true, the iPhone, which has been the sole domain of rival AT&T in the U.S. since June 2007, will give Verizon a boost in its smartphone competition, UBS analyst John Hodulik says. Verizon customers, who numbered 92.8 million at the end of the first quarter, may buy 3 million iPhones a quarter, he says.

"Apple is going to dramatically increase the number of devices it sells in the U.S. when exclusivity at AT&T ends," Hodulik says. "It's hard to ignore the quality issues that AT&T has faced."

Verizon Wireless, which is building a high-speed fourth-generation network, plans to unveil several devices that will run on the new technology in January at the Consumer Electronics Show, CEO Lowell McAdam has said. Verizon's CDMA-based wireless network differs from the GSM technology AT&T's network is based on.

The iPhone has helped AT&T add subscribers even as the U.S. mobile-phone market nears saturation. In the first three months of this year, about a third of AT&T's iPhone activations came from customers new to the carrier. Without those 900,000 new subscribers, AT&T might have posted a loss in contract customers that quarter, analysts say.

AT&T has battled customer complaints about its network and dedicated an extra $2 billion to upgrade it this year.

A Verizon partnership is a victory for Apple over rivals such as Research In Motion and Motorola, whose phones are promoted by the carrier. Motorola makes Droid phones that use Google's Android operating system. RIM makes BlackBerrys. "For Apple, it means a larger addressable market," says Andy Hargreaves, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities. "It's also good news for Apple in that it will spread the load on the wireless data networks."

Apple has sold more than 50 million iPhones since their introduction. The latest version, iPhone 4, sold more than 1.7 million units in the first three days after its June 24 debut.

A release at Verizon in the first quarter would help Apple's sales in the U.S. grow to at least 15 million units next year from 11 million in 2010, Barclays Capital analysts said in a note Tuesday. Apple's suppliers have been ramping up production of components for a phone on Verizon's CDMA network, according to the research report.
2010 Bloomberg L.P. All Rights Reserved

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

June 30, 2010, 09:20 AM

Didn't they say the same thing last year?
Unread
  (#8)
Olde Pfart (tm)

June 30, 2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypink600rr View Post
Didn't they say the same thing last year?
And the year before that... and the year before that.

There are always "Verizon iPhone" rumors... but that would require changing the factory just to produce a CDMA-based phone that would be usable only in the US and maybe parts of Canada.

GSM gave Apple the widest coverage world-wide without having to change the inner workings of the phone with a different receiver/transmitter.

"They who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- B. Franklin

Every politician should serve two terms... one in office followed immediately by an equal or longer-length one in jail... except in New Jersey where jail time is a pre-requisite to holding office.

Donkeys and Elephants belong in a zoo, not Congress.

#include <wit.h>
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Darth Piper  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 30, 2010, 09:31 AM

When I purchased my Iphone in December, everyone said, "I don't know why you are leaving Verizon, they are coming out with the Iphone in a few months."

Oh well. I had terrible service with Verizon at my house, but great service in my office. Now I have great service with AT&T at my house, and terrible service in my office. Sigh
Unread
  (#10)
The last urrbendah

June 30, 2010, 09:38 AM

We put a man on the moon.....

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#11)
Its me bytches..

June 30, 2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Piper View Post
And the year before that... and the year before that.

There are always "Verizon iPhone" rumors... but that would require changing the factory just to produce a CDMA-based phone that would be usable only in the US and maybe parts of Canada.

GSM gave Apple the widest coverage world-wide without having to change the inner workings of the phone with a different receiver/transmitter.
And it will be another rumour in January. I love how the source is "two men" who said so. People seem to ignore facts.

1) Court documents have already shown AT&T and Apple commited to a 5 year exclusive contract with the iPhone. First iPhone debuted in 2007.. so I wouldnt expect that contract to end until 2012

2) Why would Apple come this far in the game only to go backwards & create a CDMA phone? CDMA is a dying technology that even Verizon itself is upgrading from. I completely understand Apple creating a LTE iPhone for release next summer because LTE is the type of 4G that both AT&T and Verizon are upgrading to use. So why would Apple completely retool the iPhone4, to use a CDMA radio when that radio would be extinct just 5 months later? Sounds like a waste of money.

3) Theres still a control aspect to be fought over. Verizion turned down the original offer on the iPhone because they wanted control over the actual hardware device and there was no way they were letting Apple run their own App store. Verizon still maintains a great amount of control over its devices.. and restricts certain features. The new Droid X is basically the same Android phone EVO.. but without a front facing camera.

4) Lastly Verizon has been sleeping with Apple's biggest enemies. Verizon has invested in deep public partnerships with both Google & Adobe, the two companies Apple hates most. When Droid X was announced last week.. you had the CEO of Verizon (the carrier), and the CEO of Motorola (the manufacter) and the CEO of Adobe (WTF were they doing at a news conference for a cellphone???) present.

Adobe's entire presentation was to point out how popular flash software was around the net (compared to HTML5) and how they are eagerly partnering with Verizon & Motorola to use flash to take Android to the next level. Im sure that announcement alone.. makes Steve Jobs even less thrilled to become a Verizon partner.

On the flip side.. in the next few years I dont think anyone will be surprised to see Apple and Verizon finally work something out. Its kinda scary to think of how much market growth is still untapped by the iPhone.. considering its only available on one carrier in the US. Even AT&T will be thrilled to have some of its network offloaded to another carrier and that would improve their service overall. Sure they will have a few customers not bound by contract jump ship to Verizon.. but it would do alot for their public image when consumers can finally see that iPhone users (who use more data than every other smartphone combined) cause just as much congestion on Verizon's network as they did on AT&T's. The grass always seems greener on the other side.

Last edited by Daekwan; June 30, 2010 at 01:35 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Daekwan Send a message via AIM to Daekwan  
Unread
  (#12)
Traction Control

June 30, 2010, 10:00 AM

my bad. fixed to not stretch the window out.

this is the 100th iphone argument thread. lets do dis

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#13)
hi

June 30, 2010, 10:17 AM

i heard 2012 as well.
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

July 1, 2010, 11:58 AM

end of 2011

No Verizon iPhone till 'late 2011' - Computerworld Blogs

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

July 1, 2010, 12:04 PM

I don't really care, I bought a blackberry cause I didn't want to leave Verizon for AT&T. I had AT&T a few years ago and the only plus to them was there was reception in places no one else got reception. The down side to AT&T is that there is no reception when everyone around you has full bars! Besides I love my blackberry, who needs an iphone?

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed