DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 173
1 members and 172 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
VHS to computer converter?
Unread
  (#1)
Groundhogs can play dead

VHS to computer converter? - June 25, 2010, 10:47 AM

So I have lots and lots of VHS tapes and would like to save the files on my computer rather than having to keep them all.
a) is that illegal? I purchased them but now the VHS technology is obsolete.
b) is there a device or software that you know works?

I have found several websites and devices but I would like to know if any of you have recommendations or personal experiences..
Thanks!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG og

June 25, 2010, 10:51 AM

1. No, its fair use.
2. You have to be able to connect your VCR to either a computer or digi camcorder, either via analog inputs/cables or something like firewire, maybe even VGA would work. I can help ya with software to rip and record if ya need it. Ripped all our old VHS family footage onto comp and converted it to Xvid format, good quality and not alotta space on the comp.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 25, 2010, 11:09 AM

Amazon.com: ION Audio VCR 2 PC USB VHS Video to Computer Converter: Electronics Amazon.com: ION Audio VCR 2 PC USB VHS Video to Computer Converter: Electronics
Amazon.com: ION Audio VCR 2 PC USB VHS Video to Computer Converter: ElectronicsAmazon.com: ION Audio VCR 2 PC USB VHS Video to Computer Converter: Electronics

one option

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

June 25, 2010, 11:21 AM

the quality on all those devices is mediocre at best and really only useful when converting home movies

one way to view this would be that since you bought movies on VHS - you paid for the license. Download a DVD rip of better quality of the movie and technically you are not stealing or infringing. View it as making a mix tape from your own records (.....and half the people here don't know what tapes and records are.... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
Mojito Anyone?

June 25, 2010, 11:35 AM

bow chicka bow wow on VHS = Home Movies

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

June 25, 2010, 11:53 AM

Grass Valley - ADVC-110 Bidirectional Media Converter - 602029 -

I bought this device and it works perfectly. I've used it to import old footage that I shot back in the day. I haven't tried to import any store-bought tapes with copy-protection, so I don't know if that would work, but for stuff you shot or recorded, it's great. It's a firewire device, btw, and it's plug and play. There's no software.

Last edited by Zice; June 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
TPG og

June 25, 2010, 11:56 AM

Bost those devices are a little pricey just for ripping some old VHS's.

Tanya, what kinda comp do u got and do u have a camcorder?
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

June 25, 2010, 12:08 PM

Store-bought VHS movies are so low-res(roughly equivalent to 333x480 pixels), I wouldn't even consider them worth keeping.

I'd find replacements on DVD or Blu-Ray or better yet, shitcan the whole idea of keeping a library of movies. How often do you ever find yourself pulling out an old movie and watching it anyway? You could probably find it on youtube or some other site, download it, rent it, stream it or whatever.

There are way too many entertainment options these days to even bother keeping a library. You never have everything you want anyway. It's a neverending project, collecting movies. The collections are an eyesore too.

That's my 2.

Home movies, however, are priceless and well worth the conversion.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

June 25, 2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post

Ya know, Bobby, I tried to do the camcorder thing, and the camcorder wouldn't record some of my home movies! The words "COPYRIGHT PROTECTED" flashed on the screen and it wouldn't record the VHS stuff to mini-dv.

Besides that, it's a long, tedious process of dubbing the VHS in real time to Mini-DV, then importing the Mini-DV into the computer, once again in real time.

The Canopus/Grass Valley box allows you to skip all that and take it into the computer at once. I use a Mac and imported my stuff into iMovie with no worries withe the Canopus ADVC-110.

Last edited by Zice; June 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

June 25, 2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Once again, for home movies, priceless footage of yourself, family and friends from back in the day, you can't put a price on the ability to upload it to facebook or youtube and share it with those same people and many more in the 21st century. It's well worth the $200. I don't know about you, but I got tons of stuff and it was worth the one-time investment.
Unread
  (#11)
TPG og

June 25, 2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice View Post
Ya know, Bobby, I tried to do the camcorder thing, and the camcorder wouldn't record my home movies! The words "COPYRIGHT PROTECTED" flashed on the screen and it wouldn't record the VHS stuff to mini-dv.

Besides that, it's a long, tedious process of dubbing the VHS in real time to Mini-DV, then importing the Mini-DV into the computer, once again in real time.

The Canopus/Grass Valley box allows you to skip all that and take it into the computer at once. I use a Mac and imported my stuff into iMovie with no worries withe the Canopus ADVC-110.

Really? Dayung, think I did mine straight from the VCR hookedup to my lappy. That sucks!

Turns out we have one of those devices, pops bought one on craigslist some time ago. Put in VHS and it records straight to DVD. Finch u can borrow it if need be.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

June 25, 2010, 12:31 PM

Here's a sample:

Actually, this might have been done with the camcorder method, but still, a funny clip that has languished in a cardboard box for 15 yrs now has almost 2000 views on youtube.
Unread
  (#13)
Groundhogs can play dead

June 26, 2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice View Post
Grass Valley - ADVC-110 Bidirectional Media Converter - 602029 -

I bought this device and it works perfectly. I've used it to import old footage that I shot back in the day. I haven't tried to import any store-bought tapes with copy-protection, so I don't know if that would work, but for stuff you shot or recorded, it's great. It's a firewire device, btw, and it's plug and play. There's no software.

Thanks!!

Quote:

I have a one year old iMac and I do not have a camcorder.
Quote:

Turns out we have one of those devices, pops bought one on craigslist some time ago. Put in VHS and it records straight to DVD. Finch u can borrow it if need be.
I may take you up on that!

Zice, you make a good point about not really watching old movies. I just can't bring myself to throw them away, though. It's the OPTION of being able to watch them that drives me to want to convert them...

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to