DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 449
3 members and 446 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Virginia safety inspection
Unread
  (#1)
easyrider

Virginia safety inspection - November 22, 2010, 07:41 AM

This is probably a dumb question and I probably deserve it for not looking into it earlier. But i woke up this morning and both my truck and my fiance's car had been towed out of our apartment complex for not having inspection stickers on the windows. First, can they tow without warning for this? second, does the DMV have to let you know you need a safety inspection when you get new plates and registration? Just moved to VA about 5 months ago and did all this but was never made aware of an inspection. Thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Street Bonk Bum.....

November 22, 2010, 07:46 AM

damn that sux...

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS Recruiter

November 22, 2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by import1 View Post
First, can they tow without warning for this?
Yes

Quote:
does the DMV have to let you know you need a safety inspection when you get new plates and registration?
They usually do, but they don't HAVE to. I think you have 30 days from the time of registration to get it done.
Unread
  (#4)
easyrider

November 22, 2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
damn that sux...
yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post
Yes

They usually do, but they don't HAVE to. I think you have 30 days from the time of registration to get it done.
Thanks I figured that was the case.
Unread
  (#5)
Air-Cooled Goodness

November 22, 2010, 08:05 AM

By complex to do you mean private property owned by the apartment or condo assoc.? If so they can tow you for whatever reason they want. You need to take a look at the parking rules for your complex to see what violations you can be towed for. The most common are safety inspection and registration, but some allow for vehicles that have not moved in defined period of time, or appear in a state of disrepair.

-Tommy

Last edited by Desmo; November 22, 2010 at 08:08 AM..
Unread
  (#6)
I'm a llama again!

November 22, 2010, 08:09 AM

Odd how can a tow company enforce state law? I could understand if a State Cop wrote a ticket and had you towed. But where does a common tow truck company get off enforcing state laws?
Unread
  (#7)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 22, 2010, 08:10 AM

Sorry to hear your cars got towed, that sucks man. Same thing happened to me many years ago when I first moved to VA. Most apartment complexes seem to have deals setup with local towing companies, it's an eff'ing money making scam. You're gonna have to go pay a bunch of money to get your cars back then take them somewhere to get the inspections done. (Just about any service station, usually takes less than an hour depending on whether or not there's a line.)
Unread
  (#8)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 22, 2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Odd how can a tow company enforce state law? I could understand if a State Cop wrote a ticket and had you towed. But where does a common tow truck company get off enforcing state laws?

They're not, they're enforcing the private property owner's parking policy. See above, "it's an eff'ing scam". The towing company and the apt. complex are sharing the $$.

/hate
Unread
  (#9)
easyrider

November 22, 2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Yea thats what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Sorry to hear your cars got towed, that sucks man. Same thing happened to me many years ago when I first moved to VA. Most apartment complexes seem to have deals setup with local towing companies, it's an eff'ing money making scam. You're gonna have to go pay a bunch of money to get your cars back then take them somewhere to get the inspections done. (Just about any service station, usually takes less than an hour depending on whether or not there's a line.)
I am a little annoyed. I mean I have lived there for 5 months no issue. Then I wake up today and my truck is not there. I'm just like "ok relax, just take the other car....oh sweet it's not there either." I am more annoyed that I was not made aware when I was at the MVA. I had a horrible time there and had to make 4 trips to get my plates/license/registration in line becuase of mistakes that they had made. Now this happened and it's like icing on the cake.
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 22, 2010, 08:45 AM

communism at its best.

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#11)
Quit moving!

November 22, 2010, 09:01 AM

I've never heard of an apartment complex towing a vehicle because of not having an inspection sticker or even because of expired plates. Usually they don't care as long as you got their little parking pass on your window if they issue it.

And DMV and the State Inspection are entirely different. DMV does not know about know enforce/remind people about their inspection sticker. What DMV does control is EMISSION tests. If you are new to VA they will issue you tags and you can get the emissions tested within 30 days, but once you have VA tags on your vehicle you HAVE to get a VA Inspection sticker asap since there is no grace period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patient View Post
Really Snipes? Thats how you get down??

I got $1000 on Snipes being the best at this shit!!

Who wanna put a stack up against that? Who the fuck is Snipes' competition?

That motherfucker through in some flat asses for 5150 then told him to stfu and enjoy!

Man Snipes is the Mike Jordan of this shit!!

This threads stock just rose like a SOB!
Unread
  (#12)
GDMFSOB

November 22, 2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yea thats what I was thinking.

I am a little annoyed. I mean I have lived there for 5 months no issue. Then I wake up today and my truck is not there. I'm just like "ok relax, just take the other car....oh sweet it's not there either." I am more annoyed that I was not made aware when I was at the MVA. I had a horrible time there and had to make 4 trips to get my plates/license/registration in line becuase of mistakes that they had made. Now this happened and it's like icing on the cake.
You in Maryland (MVA) or Virginia (DMV)?
In VA, a quick search of the code revealed that the DMV may but is not required to inform you of the need for an inspection. Also, the police will ticket the vehicle and then tow if left unattended for 4 consecutive days. However, if the vehicle is on private property the owner may request towing without warning and without police involvement.
If your HOA did it (private property owner) they are not required to warn you unless specifically stated in the bylaws. I looked at my HOA docs and found that they are required to provide a warning letter and allow 30 days for correction of any infraction. Look at your bylaws, if they have to give notice you might be able to get $ back.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#13)
Eddie would go ...

November 22, 2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkr6 View Post
communism at its best.
no, capitalism on the part of the appt complex management which is too cheap to even buy the KY while he bends over

nice way to treat your tenants...take your rent money elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#14)
Gone with the wind....

November 22, 2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
.If your HOA did it (private property owner) they are not required to warn you unless specifically stated in the bylaws. I looked at my HOA docs and found that they are required to provide a warning letter and allow 30 days for correction of any infraction. Look at your bylaws, if they have to give notice you might be able to get $ back.
^^True
HOA provided a 30 day notice for 2 cars with dead tags parked in the vistor spots at my townhouse. Once the 30 days were up, they called county. Police must of done a sweep of the whole parking lot because I was ticketed $35 in my own space for not having a Va inspection sticker on my new car.

While living in apartments years ago, my 2nd car was towed for an expired inspection sticker, that info was in the lease under parking.

Kawi Ninja 650R and ZX6r

Ride In Paradise Tree and Mz Nez
Unread
  (#15)
easyrider

November 22, 2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
no, capitalism on the part of the appt complex management which is too cheap to even buy the KY while he bends over

nice way to treat your tenants...take your rent money elsewhere
yea it is safe to say when my lease is up we will be moving elsewhere in virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygurl View Post
^^True
HOA provided a 30 day notice for 2 cars with dead tags parked in the vistor spots at my townhouse. Once the 30 days were up, they called county. Police must of done a sweep of the whole parking lot because I was ticketed $35 in my own space for not having a Va inspection sticker on my new car.

While living in apartments years ago, my 2nd car was towed for an expired inspection sticker, that info was in the lease under parking.
I will have to see what their policy is. This just puts a very bad taste in my mouth from our apartment complex. A few weeks ago they failed to tell us that they were entering our apartment and let our dog get out. I get a phone call saying I need to come get my dog which was scared shitless and locked in the basement of our building. This is the second time I have had to go late/leave work to handle something caused by the apartments.