DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 476
5 members and 471 guests
Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider, tonetone, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
VW GOLF renamed back to RABBIT
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

VW GOLF renamed back to RABBIT - June 29, 2006, 09:57 AM

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au...agen_trie.html

Volkswagen Tries To Juice Golf Sales With Rabbit Hop

David Kiley

Media attendees at The New York Auto Show were taken aback to see that Volkswagen will rename its Golf model in the U.S. Rabbit, hearkening back to the 1970s and early 80's when the company marketed the Rabbit.
Some thought it was a cool idea. Other's didn't. "It's a brain-dead idea," said a disgusted Steve Wilhite, chief marketing officer at Nissan and former VW marketing honcho who helped guide the company to recovery in the late 1990s.
The idea came from Volkswagen's new ad agency, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, which has been driving a lot of conversation about its new work for the GTI. Those ads range from billboards that say, "Auf Wiedersehen Sucka," to a TV ad in which a GTI owner keeps his wife from erranding with him because he doesn't want her weight to throw off the balance of the ride.
The naysayers on Rabbit point to a car that had serious product quality problems and, for many, represents a dark chapter in VW's American life. The flipside is that so many years have gone by that the agency and VW of America feel that a bit of nostalgia might juice sales and interest in a car, the Golf, that has been a non-factor in the U.S. The Golf is VW's best selling car worldwide, but Americans long ago cooled to hatchbacks. Last year, VW sold just 9,140 Golfs last year, down from 13,402 in 2004. Golf didn't get much ad support last year in a year in which VW launched new Passats and Jettas. And would-be Golf buyers are waiting for the new Golf, which has been on sale in Europe nearly two years, arriving in showrooms in a few months.
The decision to go back to the Rabbit name, which was created by Volkswagen's storied ad agency of yore, Doyle, Dane Bernbach, shows the influence of VW marketing director Kerri Martin and the willingness of VW execs in North America and Germany to defy the wishes and past edicts of current supervisory chairman Ferdinand Piech. When Piech was chairman of VW, he constinued the policy ordered by previou chairman Carl Hahn that VW models have global names. The Jetta has been the exception. Elsewhere in the world, it is sold as the Bora, a name U.S. dealers vehemently rejected.
Current VW chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder and VW brand chief Wolfgang Bernhard signed off on the change. Dealers hated the Touareg name that Piech forced on VW's first SUV in America. Maybe the way things are going, they'll rename the Touareg...The Thing. The Thing was the name of the much loved rough and tumble SUV VW sold in the U.S. in the late 60s and early 70s, which was really a dressed up kubelwagen, the German Jeep made during World War Two, which was built on the chassis and drivetrain of the Beetle.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; June 29, 2006 at 10:02 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

June 29, 2006, 10:04 AM

Velcome to last veek! (or year when the news broke)

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

June 29, 2006, 10:16 AM

yeah sorry, i dont follow the VW news like you do homie..

I was interested in what you thought of this move.. My g-pa had a rabbit back in the day and drove the piss out of it. It wouldnt die, until he gave it to my uncle who crashed it into a tree.

Just seems funny that they are going back to this name.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 29, 2006, 10:34 AM

My aunt had a vw rabbit diesel back in the day. No real complaints.
Today however VW doesn't have the reputation they once did in reliability.
It is the little things, electrical parts malfunctioning etc. Co-worker had a golf and got rid of it after a year or so because it was always in the shop even though it is under warranty it makes you wonder.
I have a diesel Ram Cummins and I would love to get 50mpg out of the VW diesel but the rest of the vehicle makes me nervous.
BMW's are in the same realm and once they start to go they need a arm and a leg.
Change of name of because it is easier than fixing the bad rep of the Golf
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/U...ewreliability/

And this is just the things they admit to.

Last edited by n2sport; June 29, 2006 at 11:28 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

June 29, 2006, 11:26 AM

the rabbit was my first and last manual drive car.......I still this day cant shift but i can ride and shift the bike
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#6)
whoa preppy......

June 29, 2006, 11:28 AM

I think VW's game is one huge marketing ploy. While I think they have some pretty interesting approaches to car making and have really fun cars to drive, they are all pretty much steaming piles of shit in comparison to much of what's out there. Some car makers have problems with some models, but VW pretty much has issues with every model. It's stupid shit. Mass air flow sensors, window clips, water temp sensors, and other piddly shit that pisses you off.
VWs are definately fun if you are into wrenching and tuning. Then again, that's almost a prerequisite for owning one after its warranty has expired.
I've had every single interation of golf since the A1 chassis. The A1 rabbit was one of the best cars I've ever owned. 100hp/100trq in a well balanced 2200lb car was crazy fun. It had dead assed reliable CIS injection, and aside from an AC clutch going bad and a leaking heater core (the car did have 160,000 miles afterall) it never left me ever.
My current 1.8turbo has never really left me either, but there have been a few times I've wanted to leave it. It's fun, with the work done to it, it's also reasonably quick and handles great. It's just my frequent ABS light that likes to great me for no apparent reason and the occaisonsal front end clunk I can't find.
Both windows falling in the door when it was snowing was really nice too.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

June 29, 2006, 11:31 AM

I drove an 85 baby blue VW golf in California. It was my good friends girlfriends old car. It was a POS and stalled in the middle of I580 rush hour traffic. Freaking great.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#8)
whoa preppy......

June 29, 2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
I drove an 85 baby blue VW golf in California. It was my good friends girlfriends old car. It was a POS and stalled in the middle of I580 rush hour traffic. Freaking great.
85 was the first year for the A2 chassis and the first step in the wrong direction for VW. They've been fighting to get back every since. Each new model gets a little bigger, a little (ok A LOT) heavier, and a few more bells and whistles.

My golf weighs almost 3000lbs. 3000lbs! When the 1.8t came out for the golf in 2000 it had 150hp and 150ft lbs of torque. 50% more HP/trq than my original rabbit GTI and almost 50% more weight. Welcome to 1983 VW! You just leap frogged yourself.

oh yeah, but my rabbit didn't have a monsoon stereo or arm rest.

Don't get me wrong, I still have love for VW. I am thinking about shopping for a Type 1. I started out aircooled, I think I want to go back.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
Unread
  (#9)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

June 29, 2006, 11:59 AM

have the rabbit always had long gears??
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#10)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 29, 2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArRrR6
have the rabbit always had long gears??
No you didn't You should have posts taken away for that one
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

June 29, 2006, 12:12 PM

My uncle had a "scherocco" sp? when i was a toddler and I remember him driving the piss out of that too and it was fun riding with him...

Every person i know that has a VW has some GRIPE.

I actually had a 1985 Gof in HS. NO AC, manual everything. It was a fun little car except it sounded like I was in a helicopter when i had the windows down... I had it serviced at Rennsport off edsel rode and dang that dude had it tuned out that i think i gained more HP after he had it...

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#12)
God of the Gaps

June 29, 2006, 12:40 PM

Doesn't matter what you call it. It's still a gay car.
Unread
  (#13)
whoa preppy......

June 29, 2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes
Doesn't matter what you call it. It's still a gay car.
Thtop it Cripthie!

Scirocco. I had 2. An 81 (first body style) and an 83 (second style)

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon