DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
0 members and 523 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
VW owners- Rabbit relaibility question
Unread
  (#1)
GDMFSOB

VW owners- Rabbit relaibility question - November 21, 2016, 08:27 PM

So the time has come to add an econobox to the household for the kiddo to drive. I have had a love/ hate relationship with the wife's VW and swore that the CEL has to be connected directly to the battery. It seems like it is always on! It's been good lately though.
Anyway, I found a 2008 Rabbit 2.5L with the auto trans that is a pretty good price. It's got high miles but I understand there are no timing belts on this motor. Big bonus since I hate the cost or time to replace timing belts. I also understand that the 05-06 Rabbit was a bit questionable on reliability but they stepped it up for the 08?
Any of yall have real life data on these cars?

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

November 22, 2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
So the time has come to add an econobox to the household for the kiddo to drive. I have had a love/ hate relationship with the wife's VW and swore that the CEL has to be connected directly to the battery. It seems like it is always on! It's been good lately though.
Anyway, I found a 2008 Rabbit 2.5L with the auto trans that is a pretty good price. It's got high miles but I understand there are no timing belts on this motor. Big bonus since I hate the cost or time to replace timing belts. I also understand that the 05-06 Rabbit was a bit questionable on reliability but they stepped it up for the 08?
Any of yall have real life data on these cars?
Some but not totally direct. My ex had a Jetta of the same year w/the same engine. I'm sure the Rabbit was based on the same internals and chassis.

She had the normal little electronic niggles with VW - door locks and window switches - along with Q/C stuff (interior soft touch paint wearing off, scratching). Ran solid and felt solid enough. Moreso than the equivalent class of usual entry level compact hatchback candidates (Honda, Mazda, Toyo, Ford).

Interior amenities are a bit spartan but work and are cleanly laid out. You won't find any weird "Asiany" styling ethos or quirkiness.

I can tell most of the money went into the chassis - not a bad thing. She did have to replace the struts and engine mounts at least one. The car is nose heavy and puts all the power into the front end.

Your mileage may not dictate such necessity.

The bad, I guess would be that they 2.5 was a compromise engine and not well liked. 5 cylinders is an odd layout that wasn't quite as smooth as the 6 or as loved as the VR6, nor had the fuel economy of the 1.8L turbo.

VW decided it was going in the wrong direction and after stumbling with the even more less liked 2.0T, went back to their bread and butter 1.8t.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GDMFSOB

November 22, 2016, 04:05 PM

Bah. I had no idea the 5 cyl was short lived in their line. So that's not good. That, and the stupid electrical problems are a staple in VW.
On the plus side I found a Mazda Protege that looks to be a better deal. One owner, clean and low miles. Older gent used it as his commuter from Great Falls to Retain for the last 11 years. Same price half the miles.
I think I'll do myself a favor and steer clear of VW.

#132 EX

www.marrc.org

Quote:
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

November 22, 2016, 06:58 PM

The Protege is a pretty solid car, usually overlooked because everyone always defaults to a Civic or Corolla. I had a friend of mine who drove them pretty regularly as beaters and never had to do much to them.
Unread
  (#5)
GDMFSOB

November 23, 2016, 07:17 AM

Yeah. That's what I pretty much read about them. The one I'm looking at only has 83k on it and is in pretty good shape. Most on line info said change the keep up the regular maintenance and change the timing belt at 100k and the car will do well over 200 without a hiccup. One guy on the Mazda forum had 320 on his (not the Protege but another model with the same drive train)

#132 EX

www.marrc.org

Quote:
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

November 26, 2016, 04:24 AM

I have a legit old lady owned 1998 provable 70k v6 camry that has stupid dents and nicks and shit. About to drop the price to 25. just got it through va inspection and emissions. holla if you want it.
Unread
  (#7)
GDMFSOB

November 27, 2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdance View Post
I have a legit old lady owned 1998 provable 70k v6 camry that has stupid dents and nicks and shit. About to drop the price to 25. just got it through va inspection and emissions. holla if you want it.
I appreciate it but we're looking at something more economical since he will be driving to and from school.

#132 EX

www.marrc.org

Quote:
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

November 28, 2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
I appreciate it but we're looking at something more economical since he will be driving to and from school.
FWIW, the Camry's V6 is a stout engine that gets fairly decent gas mileage if he keeps his foot out of it. Expect real world MPG in the low to mid-20's.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Triumph-ant

November 28, 2016, 07:59 AM

The Protege 5 is nice. It's a wagon and looks better than the standard protege sedan.

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#10)
GDMFSOB

November 28, 2016, 06:13 PM

Ended up with a VeeDub. Found a Beetle in amazing condition for $3500. All 4 Goodyear tires in good shape, brakes at 50% and (most importantly) the timing belt, tensioner, water pump and T stat were all replaced in 2015 per dealer records. It's got a couple items that need attention but nothing I can't sort out before Christmas
I only agreed with the wife on this car because she has one so I already know how to replace the door switches, fuel door release motor and all the other little electrical goodies VW has put gremlins in. Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 636157847244499071.jpg (64.2 KB, 8 views)

#132 EX

www.marrc.org

Quote:

Last edited by The Evil Twin; November 28, 2016 at 06:21 PM..