DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 528
2 members and 526 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Waiting until the last minute to merge is actually safer.
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Waiting until the last minute to merge is actually safer. - June 13, 2014, 03:51 PM

Came across a document that says that merging when the lane ends is safer and better for traffic than moving over early and having a long empty lane. Getting over early causes two bottlenecks... So getting over early is only best if traffic is pretty free flowing..

NO I am not talking about the assholes who cut over into an exit lane to get around traffic. NOR am I talking about the assholes who cut all the way up a turning lane to get ahead of the line of cars.

Some of you in the EU can comment on this sign that that is apparently common:

Zipper Merge

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/trafficen...rge-zipper.pdf

Discuss...

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
turn or crash....

June 13, 2014, 04:00 PM

Definitely makes sense...

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 13, 2014, 04:01 PM

Isn't this legally required in germany?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Stop light racer...

June 13, 2014, 04:04 PM

I always wait til the last second to merge on the motorcycle. I'm not sitting in traffic, I'm a motorcycle!

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

June 13, 2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Isn't this legally required in germany?

I think it is in a lot of other countries including canada..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
I use my turn signal

June 13, 2014, 04:14 PM

Yup. Get up to proper speed in the merge lane to enter traffic at a matching speed. That's always how I go about doing it.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#7)
Sewing Machine Rider

June 13, 2014, 04:15 PM

I do this all the time and people hate it; they're just too retarded to realize how it's supposed to work. There's a good book on traffic if you're interested in stuff like this -
Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us): Tom Vanderbilt: 9780307277190: Amazon.com: Books Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us): Tom Vanderbilt: 9780307277190: Amazon.com: Books
Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us): Tom Vanderbilt: 9780307277190: Amazon.com: BooksTraffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us): Tom Vanderbilt: 9780307277190: Amazon.com: Books
Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

June 13, 2014, 04:19 PM

hey thats pretty cool. Thanks!

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#9)
Toe Dragger

June 13, 2014, 04:37 PM

My sister actually got a ticket in FFX a few years back for doing just this.. she waited until the end of the merge lane to actually merge and they wrote her up for failure to merge in a timely manner or something along those lines.. She wasn't from the area and was up on business and was a bit freaked by the traffic.. She ended up driving up to fight it and won, but still..

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

June 13, 2014, 06:09 PM

When I merge, I always use the entire length of merge lane. Never made sense to jump into the opposite lane early. Might as well use as much runout as possible.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
TNT
GP Champ

June 13, 2014, 08:39 PM

Merging at the end, motorcycles lane splitting and filtering, not using turn only lanes to pass people. These are things that should be reinforced and taught in driver's ed, but we never seem to bother with anything beyond, "gas, brake, don't go over the speed limit (which in some cases is dangerous in and of itself)." It's odd to me that we get a license at age 16 and change (when just about everything we are doing is new and we're likely to ignore/forget most of it), and we never do any refresher training.

The only problem with the zipper merge is that people ignore the zipper part. Those who are not merging will keep on the bumper of the car in front because (jackass logic) "f*** that guy merging, I have right of way."

Last edited by TNT; June 13, 2014 at 08:41 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
250 cc's of awesomeness

June 13, 2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
The only problem with the zipper merge is that people ignore the zipper part. Those who are not merging will keep on the bumper of the car in front because (jackass logic) "f*** that guy merging, I have right of way."
This is the problem with this method in heavy traffic around here. People in general just drive like assholes and are willing to nearly cause an accident just to not let a car safely merge in front of them.
Unread
  (#13)
Groping is a skill...

June 13, 2014, 11:07 PM

Makes a lot of sense. A lot of times the slowpoke in front of me merges early since there is a bit of an opening and shuts down the slow lane even when I just stay in the merge lane and just get around them then merge. Happens almost every day. On the motorcycle I do tend to merge faster since I'll out accelerate both traffic and the guy in front of me by a mile though.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
TNT
GP Champ

June 13, 2014, 11:49 PM

Merging in NOVA/DC

Last edited by TNT; June 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Traction Control

June 14, 2014, 02:50 AM

People in the UK and Germany actually move over one lane when they see traffic on the on ramps

usa driving culture is eternally fucked

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe