DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Wanna get a dog
Unread
  (#1)
TPG og

Wanna get a dog - November 15, 2012, 04:07 PM

So I wanna adopt a dog. My roomate has a dog that could keep my dog company. Don't know what kinda dog to get though. I've had little dogs all my life and kinda like them. You can carry them around. They're very brave for being so small. Toy poodles, hairless Chinese cresteds, Beagles, etc. Kinda liking Italian Greyhounds, Rat Terriers, and Toy Fox terriers. But then maybe change is good. Some cool ass big dogs. German Shepherds (#1 choice right now), Dogo Aregntinos, Greyhounds/Whippet, Pharoah Hound, American Bulldogs, Akitas, Tosa, Husky..

I hate dogs that piss everywhere, that don't learn. Would like a dog that would go hiking with me, or chill and watch Dexter with me. And possible handle a burglar. I'll get a furminator so not worried about shedding. And my roomate says chicks are gonna think I'm *fabulous* if I have a little dog, fabulous not being good. He has a Austrailian shepherd mix (female). What do ya'll recommend? This is in a townhouse with a fenced in backyard btw.

Last edited by b00st; November 15, 2012 at 04:18 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#2)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 15, 2012, 04:14 PM

Mastiff.

2008 Honda CBR1000rr
2004 Honda CBRF4i - Sold!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

Premier Member since: May 03, 2008
November 15, 2012, 04:22 PM

Dogs are big responsibility bro. Do your research well. I like small dogs since I could train them to use pee pads easily. I got three chihuahuas. Never have to take them out. I could leave some food and water out and leave them home for a few days at a time if I need to. They live long. Less genetic disorders etc... Those things play an important role for me.

11 Ducati MS1200S
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Stop light racer...

November 15, 2012, 04:23 PM

-American Staffordshire Terrier
-Husky Breeds (Akitas) are very very smart and chill
-Border Collies are another extremely smart dog, but need exercise (another dog would likely be sufficient)
-Pitbulls (terriers) are amazing dogs, smart, tough, friendly, protective and personal. *They just have a bad image because of bad owners. (think: powerful motorcycles with good vs bad riders)

@ Turkish's point; dogs are a lot of responsibility and cost money... Your life will have to revolve around the fact that you have one; Vacations, Going out, Moving to a new apartment, ect... all become more difficult.

- Daily Cruiser, 95' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - going no where fast...

* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T

Last edited by pnbell; November 15, 2012 at 04:25 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
No more 1050 :(

November 15, 2012, 04:27 PM

Another Aussie wouldn't be a bad thing.. they are cool dogs, and not too small to be "fabulous" lol

German Shepherds are great dogs.. and that's what my original plan was a couple years back when I was getting a dog. I ended up with a shepherd/ collie something or other mutt. He looks like a border collie, but is bigger than them, and has the coarse hair/ ears and tail of a shepherd.

Look through the pounds. Get the pup that speaks to you. My dog came from BARCS in B-more.
Unread
  (#6)
TPG og

November 15, 2012, 04:28 PM

Mastiffs are huge! Haven't looked at them. Am liking the Husky types, they do seem chill for wolf-looking dogs. And yeah Gem I'm used to small dogs. Like my family's hairless crested even though he's an uncontrallable little monster.

As far as walking, vacations, going out...my roomate agreed to looking after them as well as my mom and sister. They both got laid off so they have free time and live 5 minutes from where I'm moving and are both dog people!

Yeah his Aussie is cool, but friggin HYPER for a big dog. I'm definitley looking at Petfinder. Sucks cuz I wanna take them all home! And some of them don't even have names which is sad as hell. Just numbers. Kinda leaning on getting a shelter dog over a foster dog because I know how much shittier the shelter dog has it.

Last edited by b00st; November 15, 2012 at 04:31 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#7)
This Space for Sale

November 15, 2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnbell View Post
-American Staffordshire Terrier

-Pitbulls (terriers) are amazing dogs, smart, tough, friendly, protective and personal. *They just have a bad image because of bad owners. (think: powerful motorcycles with good vs bad riders)
Yupppppp. Two great options here. Kane is an APBT. Best friend I've ever had.

009 CBR 600RR
Street

2003 R6
Track

CLICK Track and Bike Vids
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

November 15, 2012, 05:47 PM

I've had Huskies all my life, now I have a Husky and 2 Chihuahuas. Enjoyed a Great Dane for a while too. If and when I get the next dog I'm thinking about an Alaskan Klee Kai, It's a mini Husky. Google it.
Unread
  (#9)
Instructor

November 15, 2012, 06:14 PM

If you're going breed specific do alot of research on them. Akita's are very smart, bore easily and are very high energy. They can also be exceptionally protective (not always a good thing). Mine would go on 10 mile runs with me and not show an iota of decreased energy.

All in all it's a large responsibility. Keeping them exercises, fed, entertained, safe, healthy and knowing that your life starts running around your dogs schedule can be intimidating. It's pretty much like having a small child. Make sure you give this lots of thought before pulling the trigger.

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

November 15, 2012, 06:29 PM

I'm biased towards german shepherds.

I've had my boy for almost 4 years now.

Had a girl prior for about 14 years. The girl was a lot more "chill" but was better socialized. The boy I'd say is "mans best friend". They will require at least monthly brushing/grooming if not weekly. The amount of fur shed is one thing to consider as well.

Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

November 15, 2012, 06:32 PM

Lots of good points about the responsibility of a dog in this thread.

My suggestion is to visit some local shelters and rescues and look around. I did that for our first dog and found a fat, ugly little bully mix and she has been amazing.

Maybe even consider joining some rescues foster programs.

A buddy of mine signed up to be a foster and the first dog that he fostered, he fell in love with.

obligatory dog picture

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - camelhumps87
Unread
  (#12)
SWIPER NO SIDESWIPING

November 15, 2012, 07:21 PM

You don't want a husky unless you want an excuse to get two dogs to keep the husky from destroying your entire house.

10 years of ownership here.

14 Husky 300
13 KTM 200

Twin 2T panty removal systems.

Bannings: 2
Thread removals: 2 - The pussification continues.
Abuse of police powers: 0
Unread
  (#13)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

November 15, 2012, 07:55 PM

Definitely make sure you're up for the task. People treat their dogs differently. Some choose to give their dogs more time and attention than others, so the level of effort varies from person to person. I love my dog. He is a small dog (Bichon-poodle), but he has changed my life in many ways - some good, some bad. Here are some of the things that have changed for me:
-Have to get up early to take the dog out.
-Have to get home early to take the dog out.
-Can't leave him for too long, so it's always a concern when going out.
-Have to take him with me on trips or pay for daycare($45 a day).
-Have to pay 16 bucks a day for a dog walker so he can get out and use the bathroom and not be lonely all day.
-Have to make sure things are picked off the floor and anywhere that he can reach. This includes any food items and anything else that's important (like papers, etc).
-Have had to take my dog to the vet for various issues such as allergies. Have had to give him a daily, twice a day antihistamine that cost 50 bucks a month.

Then, there's the damaging your stuff. He ripped a hole in the side of the couch, ripped up a piece of a chair, ripped up bits of carpet, chewed on corner of baseboard.

I got my dog as a young puppy and now he's 1, so he is a bit crazier and more energetic than an older dog. Things have gotten better, but it's still a lot of responsibility. I would suggest getting a bit of an older dog so you don't have to deal with the puppy stage.
Unread
  (#14)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

November 15, 2012, 08:52 PM

Get a dog that doesn't require a fuckload of running around and shit.

I'd recommend a great dane.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#15)
Ton Up!

November 15, 2012, 09:14 PM

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!