DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#31)
Licensed Rider

November 19, 2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnbell View Post
@rottsko: Awesome dog, congrats!
thx! we're really happy to have rescued her. she def doesn't fit in the stereotype of a pitbull.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#32)
TPG og

November 19, 2012, 03:07 PM

Drt_jumper has a pretty badass pit. She'll tear a tree branch up. The ones in the city used to scare the shiz outta me, but once you're around some nice ones they're cool.

Of course the dogo argentino and german shepherds scare some people too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#33)
Jeez If You Love Honkus

November 19, 2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottsko View Post
just rescued a dog last week.
Cool dog - thanks for giving her a home.
Unread
  (#34)
Live Free.....Ride Hard!

November 19, 2012, 06:16 PM

Pug - big dog in a little dog's body!!
Unread
  (#35)
GSXR 750

November 19, 2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61 View Post
I love my pit and my wife's yorkies. I've. had. an Akita. awesome. dog. but. way to big. for townhouse. living. unless. you. can. take. them. for. a run at least twice a day I wouldn't get anything over sixty pounds for a th just not fair or healthy for the dog imo
There I fixed it with plenty of punctuation for all you spelling Nazis.
The guy asked for advice and I offered my opinion. sorry if my quickly typed post offended those who have nothing better to do than give people sh@# about it.

OP I hope your new pup works out well for you. Thanks for giving a dog a good home.

Don't turn the lights on and I won't run!!
Unread
  (#36)
Railing!

November 19, 2012, 09:31 PM

I'm partial toward German Shepard. I actually just heard of a GSD pup up for adoption if interested.
Unread
  (#37)
TPG og

November 20, 2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
I'm partial toward German Shepard. I actually just heard of a GSD pup up for adoption if interested.
Thanks, I've found a bunch! There's a Mid Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue in Mount Airy with a bunch of dogs.
Unread
  (#38)
#swag

November 20, 2012, 04:02 PM

Don't get an american bulldog either.. They are assholes.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#39)
TPG og

November 20, 2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Don't get an american bulldog either.. They are assholes.
Really? Was kinda afraid I wouldn't know who to properly train one of those types...that or the dogo.

Now it's between GSD or rat terrier. Two opposite dogs.
Unread
  (#40)
#swag

November 20, 2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
Really? Was kinda afraid I wouldn't know who to properly train one of those types...that or the dogo.

Now it's between GSD or rat terrier. Two opposite dogs.
My roommate has a Am Bulldog. She's an awesome dog around us.. But when strangers come into the house, she CAN be a bit aggressive. What's also weird is that the aggressiveness is usually towards unfamiliar females.

My other buddy also has a Am bulldog puppy that has been going to a trainer for 6+ months and still not really showing signs of improvement. She's aggressive towards other dogs, but fine with people.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#41)
GP Champ

November 20, 2012, 09:06 PM

I'll finally pitch in my .02 here. IMO it is not a good idea to ask for a blanket recommendation on what dogs to get. There are way too many breeds, temperaments, sizes, and many other personal preferences. People by default will be biased to the dogs that they have owned or met or researched and met their own personal preferences which may be 100% opposite to yours.

My suggestion would be to research every single breed that fits your personal preferences of characteristics, narrow down to a few like 3 or 5 that peak your interest and THEN ask people for suggestions/opinions on the named breeds you are interested in. And it is also important to note that some dogs do have default personality traits that are in line for what they were bred for. Some examples are Pitbulls, Huskys, American Bulldogs, and very distinctly the Dogo Argentino....and yes, even the Rat Terrier and Beagles have particular personality styles. All of these dogs can be trained to be AMAZING companions, but some will require the OWNER to have a specific personality style that is able to focus and devote the required emotional and physical resources to be able to train out the aggression elements some of these animals were bred for. Others, like Beagles (and Rat Terriers) might just require that their impulsive/compulsive elements be trained out of them. I have a Beagle and people are shocked when they see that I can take her pretty much anywhere without a leash and she'll stand right next to me. Reason is because Beagles by nature are impulsive and will take off and never come back once they catch scent of something interesting. Training this impulse out of her was not easy at all and had to be done very early as a puppy.

We ourselves are looking into getting a new puppy. My wife and I have been doing A LOT of research and even considered Pitbulls and Huskys. My wife doesn't feel she has the personality to be able to train and control these breeds properly. That is an honest self-reflection of her abilities and comfort level that is very important and should be respected. We kept looking and somehow have ended up with a high level of interest in the breed called the "Brittany". Personally, I had never even heard of that breed before but now I'm thinking that it just might work for our family environment. Next step will be to find some breeders and clubs so we can actually meet some in person and see what they're like. Then decide and find the right reputable breeder. We also considered shelter adoption but decided that wouldn't be the right path for us, although I immensely support that option for others.

Just my .02 to the discussion.
Unread
  (#42)
Licensed Rider

November 22, 2012, 06:42 AM

dont get a pit mix if you live in, or will take him/her into pg regularly.

I have straight up told more than one pg county officer people were going to die if they tried to touch my pit mixes, when I have been pulled over while driving through. They WILL pull that shit, and unless you are seriously willing to die for your dogs, dont expect them to back off, because they go hard on that shit. Its just that I am willing to die for my dogs, and they can suck my dick. I love my dogs, but I wont live in pg because of them, and I rarely take them through unless its absolutely nec.

Prince George's County, Maryland. Breed-Specific Legislation.

the reality is if its on your property, they will shoot it for fun if they are ever called to your residence, and they will try to take it from you if they see you with it, especially if you are brown.

pit mixes in all of md also just became "inherantly dangerous", meaning if your pit bites or intimidates anyone, for any reason, its the dogs fault, and they try to take it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Pit...ient=firefox-a

if you get a pit mix, get Qik | Record and share video live from your mobile phone so if you get into it with the police, you can let them know what they are doing is being recorded and uploaded live, and you will ruin their career if they are being overzealous. all you really need to do to protect your dog from the police is pick it up, and refuse to put it down, and lock it up where they cant get to it.

I had a sheriff recently attempt a welfare check at a house I was at, with one of my dogs, in md. I refused to let him in because of my dog, and video taped the entire thing. he got pissed, I told him to fuck off and come back with a warrant if he wanted to get in so bad. I told him I had a pitbull, and assholes like him, who attempt to barge into houses without even explaining whats going on, and without a warrant, are the kind of scumbags that shoot dogs because they are "aggressive" even though they are not. Learn your rights. I have worked with dogs for years, rescues, aggressive kinds that like to rip peoples faces off. not joking. I am building a 501c3 right now to work exclusively with dogs that are unfixable.

learn your rights, protect yourself, in this area the police love to kill pit mixes. fuck those cops. funny thing is i pretty much hate the cops, yet a lot of the people who work with the rescues who i know are cops. one of the best guys I know is a federal officer. he has like 3 or 4 rescues himself.

Last edited by justdance; November 22, 2012 at 06:55 AM..
Unread
  (#43)
.com's Resident Handyman

November 22, 2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdance View Post

I have straight up told more than one pg county officer people were going to die if they tried to touch my pit mixes, when I have been pulled over while driving through. They WILL pull that shit, and unless you are seriously willing to die for your dogs, dont expect them to back off, because they go hard on that shit. Its just that I am willing to die for my dogs, and they can suck my dick. I love my dogs, but I wont live in pg because of them, and I rarely take them through unless its absolutely nec.

the reality is if its on your property, they will shoot it for fun if they are ever called to your residence, and they will try to take it from you if they see you with it, especially if you are brown.

pit mixes in all of md also just became "inherantly dangerous", meaning if your pit bites or intimidates anyone, for any reason, its the dogs fault, and they try to take it.

if you get a pit mix, get Qik | Record and share video live from your mobile phone so if you get into it with the police, you can let them know what they are doing is being recorded and uploaded live, and you will ruin their career if they are being overzealous. all you really need to do to protect your dog from the police is pick it up, and refuse to put it down, and lock it up where they cant get to it.

I had a sheriff recently attempt a welfare check at a house I was at, with one of my dogs, in md. I refused to let him in because of my dog, and video taped the entire thing. he got pissed, I told him to fuck off and come back with a warrant if he wanted to get in so bad. I told him I had a pitbull, and assholes like him, who attempt to barge into houses without even explaining whats going on, and without a warrant, are the kind of scumbags that shoot dogs because they are "aggressive" even though they are not. Learn your rights. I have worked with dogs for years, rescues, aggressive kinds that like to rip peoples faces off. not joking. I am building a 501c3 right now to work exclusively with dogs that are unfixable.

learn your rights, protect yourself, in this area the police love to kill pit mixes. fuck those cops. funny thing is i pretty much hate the cops, yet a lot of the people who work with the rescues who i know are cops. one of the best guys I know is a federal officer. he has like 3 or 4 rescues himself.
Bobby, don't listen to this dipshit. PG county cops aren't going to hassle you for no reason just cuz you have a pit mix. Unless you're a complete retard that just runs his mouth and talks shyt, they'll generally show you the same respect back. Just like cops anywhere else. I've taken Riley to PG a million times and even had cops come up and compliment me on how good looking he is.

2005 Yamaha YZ250f
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#44)
GP Racer

November 22, 2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdance View Post

i've lived in pg forever. can't keep count the number of brown people by me with pits. cops are always around (it's pg). never seen or heard of an issue.
Unread
  (#45)
turn or crash....

November 22, 2012, 10:48 AM

Boxer/American Bull/Boston Terrier mixes...... awesome temperment on both of them.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza