DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 288
19 members and 269 guests
2blueyam, bds120, BigDaddyShoo, Camelhumps, cchlpaul, ec8r, Gots_a_sol, GRN96WS6, launchforwards, Nick, O2ShootTheJ, Off Camber, Saracen, shooom, Southwade, Tipssy, tom bellflur, turkishexpress, ZX-Matt
Most users ever online was 919, June 27, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#76)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

March 5, 2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Full ACPCA List:
-Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine
-Alcohol
-Avocado
-Macadamia Nuts
-Grapes & Raisins
-Yeast Dough
-Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
-Xylitol
-Onions, Garlic, Chives
-Milk
-Salt

Also, I try to avoid letting my dog drink water off the street or in gutters due to antifreeze. Dogs love it because it's sweet but it doesn't take much to kill them quickly.
Puulease...

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#77)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

March 5, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post

Puulease...
I can see the bones part but the eggs and raw meats are laughable.

My bet specifically told is to mix in raw beef tips with our puppy's food and to give her a cooked egg at least once a week.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - camelhumps87
Unread
  (#78)
Sewing Machine Rider

March 5, 2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
Puulease...
If you read the full page, they're basically worried about salmonella which, not that my dog gets people food, but if he did I probably wouldn't give him raw chicken from the store.
Unread
  (#79)
GP Champ

March 5, 2013, 07:39 AM

Salmonella cases are very rare in dogs that eat raw. Their digestive system is a lot stronger at killing off organisms than ours.

And bones are absolutely great for them so long as they are uncooked and not weight bearing meat bones (too hard to crack). It's actually awesome watching them go through a whole raw chicken carcass and when you look back it's all gone.

Sorry, not meaning to argue just adding to the conversation. I'm pro-raw feeding, my wife is against it. I lost that argument so we're back on kibble.

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#80)
No more 1050 :(

March 5, 2013, 08:13 AM

Garlic is used in lots of commercial dog foods. It's not bad for dogs except for large quantities. Don't give your dog a couple bulbs to munch on and he'll be fine. My dog also gets onion scraps when I'm chopping some up for dinner. Never has had an issue.

Raw bones are good for them, their system has no problem passing them. Cooked bones splinter when broken, and could potentially be a problem in the digestive tract; raw bones are way softer.

Salmonella is extremely rare in dogs, and depending on the breed/ mix of breeds, they may as well be immune to it. In other words- don't buy some sickly inbred pure-breed bullshit dog. Hooray for mutts.

Last edited by drz1050; March 5, 2013 at 08:16 AM..
Unread
  (#81)
Sewing Machine Rider

March 5, 2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
Salmonella cases are very rare in dogs that eat raw. Their digestive system is a lot stronger at killing off organisms than ours.

And bones are absolutely great for them so long as they are uncooked and not weight bearing meat bones (too hard to crack). It's actually awesome watching them go through a whole raw chicken carcass and when you look back it's all gone.

Sorry, not meaning to argue just adding to the conversation. I'm pro-raw feeding, my wife is against it. I lost that argument so we're back on kibble.
Full text:
Quote:
Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to pets. In addition, raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to skin and coat problems. Feeding your pet raw bones may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild. However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet, who might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your petís digestive tract.
We give our dog big knuckle bones to gnaw on every once in a while, but I would be worried about little chicken bones or anything else small that he could chomp in half.
Unread
  (#82)

March 5, 2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:

We give our dog big knuckle bones to gnaw on every once in a while, but I would be worried about little chicken bones or anything else small that he could chomp in half.
Next time you buy a whole chicken, give him the neck. I have never ever heard of a dog having an issue with this, and he will love it.

I like how corn is not listed on the ASPCA list... they go way over the top with other things, yet leave that out. Interesting.
Unread
  (#83)

March 5, 2013, 08:38 AM

It makes me laugh when people say things like avocado/ garlic/ milk/ etc are bad for dogs.

They are bad for some dogs. It really depends on your dog.

Suggesting that ALL dogs are allergic to these things is quite ignorant, and really disappointing.

Some humans are lactose intolerant. Some humans have no problem with it. Not all humans are identical.

Hey, guess what? Not all dogs are identical either.
Unread
  (#84)
Mojito Anyone?

March 5, 2013, 08:45 AM

mannnnnnnn we baby all our pets here... you think dogs have a choice of what they eat in other countries..

Cuba for instance.. my family feeds their dogs rice and potatoes.. plantains... chicken leftovers.. whatever there is.

allergies smallergies.. you think they take dogs to the vet there.. nope..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#85)
fo shizzle

March 5, 2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Full ACPCA List:
-Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine
-Alcohol
-Avocado
-Macadamia Nuts
-Grapes & Raisins
-Yeast Dough
-Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
-Xylitol
-Onions, Garlic, Chives
-Milk
-Salt

Also, I try to avoid letting my dog drink water off the street or in gutters due to antifreeze. Dogs love it because it's sweet but it doesn't take much to kill them quickly.

This is like saying that no humans should ever eat peanuts, shellfish, gluten, or lactose. Complete silliness. Most dogs will have no problem with the items on the list, but a small number have a reaction and suddenly it is made into a blanket statement. Wrong. My dogs have eaten all of the above (sometimes on purpose, usually accidentally) and the worst that has happened is a really good case of the squirts.

Also, as with humans, don't discount the homeopathic methods and home remedies just because you can pay a vet for the same thing. How do you think people cared for their animals before there was a vet on every corner?

Standing water is bad. Lots of bacteria and gross stuff in stagnant water.

Not on the list but should be - SOCKS. Dogs love to eat them, it can kill them, and there is only one way to get them out - surgically.

Unread
  (#86)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
March 5, 2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onel0wcubn View Post
mannnnnnnn we baby all our pets here... you think dogs have a choice of what they eat in other countries..

Cuba for instance.. my family feeds their dogs rice and potatoes.. plantains... chicken leftovers.. whatever there is.

allergies smallergies.. you think they take dogs to the vet there.. nope..
This.....in Jamaica my aunts dog gets what ever left overs there are mixed into a massive pot of corn meal.

The dog is about two clicks away from being feral though. Woe be onto anyone that comes into her yard without someone there. Her dog is about 35 - 40 lbs but he has no fear. Broken tail, missing teeth, half blind in one eye, patches of fur missing but nothing kills this dog.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#87)
TPG og

March 5, 2013, 02:32 PM

My dogs have always eaten people food.

Spaghetti, cucumbers, banana, tuna-noodle casserole, pizza, baklava...

All very healthy. The toy poodle is 16 and still kicking. He ate my entire easter basket once and was fine!

ASPCA run by chicken littles.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#88)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
March 5, 2013, 02:39 PM

Hell, I keep having to fight my puppy so she is not sucking down acorns she finds in the back yard. Crazy little chew machine that she is.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#89)
Member of SRWJTS

March 5, 2013, 02:49 PM

dogs stomachs are very particular and yes they vary by breed. But encouraging an owner to feed the dog known toxins is not a good idea. Yes foods don't always affect each dog 100% of the time but avoiding them is a good idea. Lqdgrphcs has a miniature english bulldog, they are known to have health problems. Increasing the amount of potential toxins in the dogs diet is more threatening to a breed that is a mutated breed dog. Normal healthy dogs that don't cost thousand of dollars with known health risks are less likely to be affected. English bulldogs have short life spans, there is no reason to shorten it. Alot of the foods listed by the ASPCA build up in the dogs body over time and cause organ failures BUT not immediately. The toxins build up then hurt the dog and you won't know what happened until there is a major problem. ASPCA is encouraging you to not feed those to the dog on a regular basis. They are doing it in the same way that human health organizations encourage you to not consume Mcdonalds for 3 meals a day.

*I disagree with their raw food suggestion, so does my vet, raw meats are fine

2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)

Last edited by HumanNippy; March 5, 2013 at 02:51 PM..
Unread
  (#90)
This Space for Sale

March 6, 2013, 11:00 AM

Ah well - some things are bad for ALL dogs.

Chocolate and Caffeine for example. Be careful what the little monsters eat!

But any high quality kibble or a proper implemented Raw diet is just fine.

Dogs do not process grains well, so you ideally want a food that is grain free (most high quality kibbles are). And they CAN develop allergies to chicken or fish, or beef or whatever, just like any animal. But that's individual dog and not all that common truthfully.

009 CBR 600RR
Street

2003 R6
Track

CLICK Track and Bike Vids

Last edited by NateDieselF4i; March 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM..