DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
1 members and 558 guests
BigDaddyShoo
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Want to Ditch Cable TV for streaming basic Cable channels.
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Want to Ditch Cable TV for streaming basic Cable channels. - November 27, 2015, 10:09 PM

My goal is to be able to use my Roku to watch all my favorite channels streamed..espcially since allot are live streams now days.

Tired of high cable bills.

I saw a commercial about a streaming app that play about 60 of the basic cable channels.

I want to see channels like SYFY, AMC, HGTV, Food Network, Fox Sports 1 (for moto GP), Velocity, History Channel, Science Channel, BeIn Sports (for wsbk) standard tv channels like CBS, CW, FX and such....

pretty much the basic cable channels with out having all the high tax and fees...I have basic asshole cable from direct TV and pay $160 a month...no bundles.

What are my options.?

I currently have Rocku and Netflix/Hulu

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

November 27, 2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
My goal is to be able to use my Roku to watch all my favorite channels streamed..espcially since allot are live streams now days.

Tired of high cable bills.

I saw a commercial about a streaming app that play about 60 of the basic cable channels.

I want to see channels like SYFY, AMC, HGTV, Food Network, Fox Sports 1 (for moto GP), Velocity, History Channel, Science Channel, BeIn Sports (for wsbk) standard tv channels like CBS, CW, FX and such....

pretty much the basic cable channels with out having all the high tax and fees...I have basic asshole cable from direct TV and pay $160 a month...no bundles.

What are my options.?

I currently have Rocku and Netflix/Hulu

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get FS1 and Bein Sport unfortunately. Those are the two I really need as well. However, I get all of those channels and a bunch of other good ones for only ~$103 from DirecTV. I called them last months and told them I was going to Uverse. I have 4 wireless boxes and all of the above mentioned channels + DVR. Funny enough ATT owns them now but they're still cannibalizing each other. Call them up. At least you'll save some money for a while before pulling the trigger on going cable-less.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

November 28, 2015, 12:45 AM

Search "cord cutting" or "XMBC" "Kodi"

A thread from several months ago should pop up where we talked about this in depth.

I semi cut the cord. Waiting one more generation of devices to shake out before going full cord cutting.

Run XMBC through a laptop with the The BEAST add-on.

SlingTV looks very promising but they only allow one box / one user per account at a time. I have a feeling that policy will change soon enough

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

November 28, 2015, 06:41 AM

SlingTV is not ready for prime time, imo. I was only able to watch fear the walking dead 2 out of 5 episodes. The service went belly up the other 3 times with errors.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

November 28, 2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
SlingTV is not ready for prime time, imo. I was only able to watch fear the walking dead 2 out of 5 episodes. The service went belly up the other 3 times with errors.
Thanks for the feedback.
They were one of the services I was keeping an eye on.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Silence... I keeeel you

November 29, 2015, 03:34 PM

Search for private roku channels. You can find broadcast channels. ABC, CBS, etc.. It might be from another state. So the news will be wrong. But all the shows are the same.

Here is a quick list I googled. I can't remember all the ones I have.
The Best Private Roku Channels, and How to Install Them

Between these, and an HD antennae, my live TV is covered. Although I haven't watched a live show in like 8 years.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

December 2, 2015, 12:59 AM

thats fantastic.....I will play around with this , this week.

For my roku at my va house in the woods...its the only way to get any form of tv...hills and trees kill any kind of digital signal even with antena. Its piss poor...

So just got internet and now streaming via roku...so some live channels would be cool.

I just need to find a way to kill Direct TV..... $160 a month for basic bare bones cable is just un.godly.....

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

December 2, 2015, 07:52 AM

I pay $150 for Dish and shitty internet bundled together. I have the second to top tier package with HBO and Showtime.

I would like to try to stream everything but the only speed internet available to me wouldn't be able to handle it. It can't even handle two devices streaming Netflix at once. What speed are you able to get at your VA house?

2011 Z1000
Unread
  (#9)
Fast Lane Racing

December 2, 2015, 11:24 AM

Also look into getting a Raspberry Pi. $30 at micro center. Took an hour to download linux and get Kodi / Genesis installed.

You can watch almost any new or old TV show. Also has lots of movies on there that are still in theater.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

December 2, 2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
I pay $150 for Dish and shitty internet bundled together. I have the second to top tier package with HBO and Showtime.

I would like to try to stream everything but the only speed internet available to me wouldn't be able to handle it. It can't even handle two devices streaming Netflix at once. What speed are you able to get at your VA house?

MetroCast
20MB/5MB
$53 a month with winter service off program for like $5 a month when I close the house down.

I need to look at Direct TV again...I think they have 5 packages...
I have the middle one....no premium channels at all.

Unread
  (#11)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

December 12, 2015, 04:04 PM

SO ive been going over the channel listings on the Sling TV and with all the added on channels it looks good vs. damn Direct TV...and a money saver...even if I added most channels its about $45 a month vs. the $160ish per month I pay for direct tv.

The one thing ill be missing is Fox sport 1. for Moto GP...If i can add it via Roku then that will work also.

What do you guys think?
Here is all the channel listings...

https://www.sling.com/package

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

December 12, 2015, 04:14 PM

So long as you don't watch anything popular sling works ok.
Unread
  (#13)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

December 13, 2015, 11:28 AM

what about the Jail broken Chromcast stickis that I've heard you can get programed with all kinds of channels....

Unread
  (#14)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 20, 2016, 10:03 PM

Ok update...

My GF was about to buy a so called "Jail Broken" firestick, but I told her about my boy who just got one and was setting it up...so I said you get the FS and Ill set it up...

So I've had it for about a week almost.

$39 for the FS at BB.

I found some newer Youtube videos showing how to set it up plugged into the TV vs. into a laptop.

They said it was 70% easier and faster.
My boy told me to load these....and I looked up youtube videos on each one.

1st...Kodie...
2nd..Fussion...
3rd..KodiFlix...

KodiFlix is the bomb...giving the Kodi app the look, feel and search ability of NetFlix.

I am the kind of dude who pays for music and movies I want to support. I try to make sure the studios get there numbers and that way actors and company's can keep doing good work.

So, with that said...waiting on my GF I missed out on 2 movies I wanted to see.
Straight out of Compton, and CREED....(black movies).
She had no interested in them...lol then again she is white so...cant blame her.
So I ill go buy the DVD for support, but both movies rocked my world.

From Friday to last night I have watched about 7 movies and 2 TV shows I either missed out on or did not want to pay to see.

The Pro: allot of the movies are 1080, and do not have the boot leg look
The Con: KodiFlix still takes a while to load...shit freezes, at times have to go thru 2 to 3 movies to get a nice clean n clear one.
The worst is the hanging up, buffering and freezing when first loaded.

I think my GF will be pissed, but i am going to tell her one...this is like having a direct line to the bootleggers cloud storage....two...this shit is free....
and you just have to have patience.

Before I turn this over to her..any recommendations?

I also cant get a good video that will link the app to the home screen..short cut.
its like they do not work or dont seem right.
I got as far as downloading Ikon app.