DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 596
7 members and 589 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Want to get into 4 wheelin
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

Want to get into 4 wheelin - June 8, 2012, 09:08 PM

Im planning to build up my 97 4runner and eventually turn it into an off-road beast. Are there any 4-wheelers on here that know some good shops or trails?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 8, 2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyoN
eventually turn it into an off-road beast.
Get ready to spend a lot of money. Especially if shops are doing installs. A poor man lift and tires are easy. You get into major suspension upgrades, gearing, lockers, armor, trail gear, etc...you will probably spend more than what the truck is worth.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#3)

June 8, 2012, 09:43 PM

what exactly do you want to do with it, or rather what do you want it to be capable of doing? You might be surprised what a good set of tires and a locker can do in an otherwise stock vehicle.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#4)

June 8, 2012, 10:06 PM

Yep. Crank the torsion bars, add extended shackles to the rear leafs, throw on some BFG All Terrains, and you can have a ton of fun in the trails.

^ = poor man's lift.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Unread
  (#5)

June 8, 2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal View Post
Get ready to spend a lot of money. Especially if shops are doing installs. A poor man lift and tires are easy. You get into major suspension upgrades, gearing, lockers, armor, trail gear, etc...you will probably spend more than what the truck is worth.
I'm trying to keep the budget pretty low. And all work is gonna be done by myself or with the help of friends. Right now I'm thinking of doing springs, shocks, and maybe a 1 inch body lift. Still researching about tires that are good for a lot of street miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
what exactly do you want to do with it, or rather what do you want it to be capable of doing? You might be surprised what a good set of tires and a locker can do in an otherwise stock vehicle.
I'm looking for something that will mostly be used on the street but perform decently on the trails. My truck has every desirable feature (4x4, manual) except a factory diff lock.

Quote:
Yep. Crank the torsion bars, add extended shackles to the rear leafs, throw on some BFG All Terrains, and you can have a ton of fun in the trails.

^ = poor man's lift.
This is the type of veteran info I'm trying to get! I'm a complete noob when it comes to offroading. How much lift do you think I can get by doing that?
Unread
  (#6)

June 8, 2012, 11:20 PM

If you really crank the torsion bars in the front and add shackles in the back...almost 2 inches. Doesnt sound like much but go outside and measure two inches from the top of the wheel well. Hell, take the side runners off (if you have them) and it will look even higher ; ) Its a good way to get a little lift before and if you decide to really do the suspension (longer control arms, add a leafs, etc.). Plus you will need shackles when you do all that anyways so at least you will have them!

Last edited by JTG40cal; June 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM..
Unread
  (#7)

June 9, 2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
If you really crank the torsion bars in the front and add shackles in the back...almost 2 inches. Doesnt sound like much but go outside and measure two inches from the top of the wheel well. Hell, take the side runners off (if you have them) and it will look even higher ; ) Its a good way to get a little lift before and if you decide to really do the suspension (longer control arms, add a leafs, etc.). Plus you will need shackles when you do all that anyways so at least you will have them!
unfortunately, my car doesnt have torsion bars. Im not gonna do anything insane like get coilovers, but I am saving for upgraded shocks and springs. At what point would I need longer control arms?
Unread
  (#8)
starbucks ADV rider

June 9, 2012, 01:17 PM

sell the 4runner and pick up something that has all the stuff you're looking for. lots of people out there getting out of the hobby cause baby momma is pregnant or ran out of money etc etc.
Unread
  (#9)

June 9, 2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
sell the 4runner and pick up something that has all the stuff you're looking for. lots of people out there getting out of the hobby cause baby momma is pregnant or ran out of money etc etc.
haha cant do it man. Its been in my family since the day it rolled off the lot in 1997 and hasnt complained once in 240,000 miles. I wanna keep it forever.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

June 11, 2012, 08:57 AM

If you're planning on wheelin' local, you don't need major mods. I ran a stock 97 TJ Wrangler for a while. Did a "poor man's" lift on it so I could run Paragon and some other PA and NJ stuff. I did a 2" spacer kit and a 2" body lift. Swapped out to 33" tires and was able to clear most stuff.

If you plan on doing any major rock crawling, don't forget to add some hefty skid plates to your mod list.

I've long since sold my TJ; not cuz of money or baby momma stuff, but because of not having any time once Donovan started racing. I used to belong to OCC (heck I was a board member one year). Check them out:
Off-Camber Crawlers

Good people in that club. I still keep in touch with many of them.

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

June 11, 2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyoN View Post
I wanna keep it forever.
This statement plus off roading tend to not agree with each other.

After that first bit of body damage, its all downhill from there.

My jeep the day I brought it home

Most recent trip (was actually 2011, time stamp is wrong)

The body is completely shot now (from not having any kind of armor). The frame needs some serious help. It needs re-wired too. I have a new tub and a pile of tube to redo the back half of the thing, just been putting all my time into the bikes as of late.

-Joe

17 Beta 250RR/RE
09 Husky WR177

Last edited by Gots_a_sol; June 11, 2012 at 09:30 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Gots_a_sol  
Unread
  (#12)
Railing!

June 11, 2012, 10:47 AM

I just acquired a 97 4Runner. I've done a lot of research. They are very capable vehicles, but it's going to get expensive if you do anything over a mild lift. The independent suspension up front is what limits the 4runner. a solid axle swap is pretty much required if you ever want to do any serious off roading, but what you have can be a great street/occasional trail vehicle.

I'll post up my runner and what I'd like it to look like when I get home today.

If you want to get into serious wheeling and don't want to break the bank, get a jeep. If you want to be different, get a first generation 4Runner/Tacoma

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

June 11, 2012, 10:52 AM

Oh yea, if any of you guys wants a straight axle in your toy, I have one sitting next to my garage I'll sell for cheap haha

My buddy sas'd his 4-runner in my garage over a weekend, it really wasn't that bad at all if you can do fab work and can measure worth a damn. We had a problem with that, maybe a few too many beverages were consumed before that part of the swap

-Joe

17 Beta 250RR/RE
09 Husky WR177
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Gots_a_sol