DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
1 members and 569 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Want to get my PADI Open Water Cert
Unread
  (#1)
Mojito Anyone?

Want to get my PADI Open Water Cert - August 17, 2011, 12:04 PM

I know there are a few divers on here..

Where should I go to get my cert? Classes and all that stuff..

I looked around a little and saw it was in the neighborhood of $500 bucks for everything.. classes and cert. Is that right?

Any advice will be appreciated.

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#2)
#swag

August 17, 2011, 12:06 PM

no

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

August 17, 2011, 12:07 PM

I used the Dive Shop in Fairfax. They do the classes at the YWCA pool on Wolftrap Rd, IIRC. Cert dives are out in the quarry near Haymarket. I can't speak to those, as I did the cert dives in Massachusetts.

In addition to the cost of the courses and certs, expect to spend $300 on a mask, fins, snorkel (which you'll never use again after the certs), and booties.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#4)
Elite Racing

August 17, 2011, 12:13 PM

That price sounds about right for the classroom, written test, pool test and open water.

Another option is Sterling Silver Scuba in Sterling just off Route 28 & Church, across 28 from Wegmans. Good folks there.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Mojito Anyone?

August 17, 2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangle View Post
I used the Dive Shop in Fairfax. They do the classes at the YWCA pool on Wolftrap Rd, IIRC. Cert dives are out in the quarry near Haymarket. I can't speak to those, as I did the cert dives in Massachusetts.

In addition to the cost of the courses and certs, expect to spend $300 on a mask, fins, snorkel (which you'll never use again after the certs), and booties.
i have the mask and snorkel and fins and all that jazz... ive been in the water since i was a youngin.. i spear fish all the time.. just want to get the cert and suppose i have to go an official way about doing so.. I'll just probably get it next time im in miami.. much cheaper down there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
That price sounds about right for the classroom, written test, pool test and open water.

Another option is Sterling Silver Scuba in Sterling just off Route 28 & Church, across 28 from Wegmans. Good folks there.
sweet ill give them a shout and get advice from them.

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#6)
GDMFSOB

August 17, 2011, 12:31 PM

$500 sounds about right. I can't believe how much more it is now!
I do a lot of stuff through Virginia Scuba :: Virginia's Only Techreational Dive Center!
I got a couple specialties and my Rescue Diver cert through them.

Also, my wife got her AOW with Blue Escapes Diving
Jon is a really cool guy. Very patient and easy going.
Another option (that I did) was to do it on a vacation. I got my OW in St. Croix over 3 days for about $350. That was about 10 years ago, though.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#7)
Mojito Anyone?

August 17, 2011, 12:54 PM

Hell i might just do it while in Mexico... 315.. for the cert

Get Certified for Scuba Diving in Playa del Carmen!

ay ya yay
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 17, 2011, 01:12 PM

im a manager at the dive shop in richmond. pm me with any questions and ill be glad to answer.
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 17, 2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangle
Cert dives are out in the quarry near Haymarket.
That dive SUCKS! Its cold, dark, spooky, and visibility is shit. At least it was when I did it 15 years ago.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

August 17, 2011, 02:35 PM

I got my SSI certs at woodbridge scuba. They use the same quarry. visibility is ok.. def cold! but they have a bunch of stuff to look at.

I @ $500. once you get certified and realize how much safer you feel in your own gear, it adds up REAL quick. haha

SSI and PADI are the same. SSI is more prevalent in Europe...but both are equally accepted.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#11)
Eddie would go ...

August 17, 2011, 02:48 PM

HI is the place to get cert - that's where the Navy taught me how to dive

a good diver does not need to lug anything more than his mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 17, 2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
I got my SSI certs at woodbridge scuba. They use the same quarry. visibility is ok.. def cold! but they have a bunch of stuff to look at.
And by a bunch of stuff to look at he means ugly ass bass that come out of nowhere. Oh, and that old school bus that drove off the cliff and into the water. You know...the one in horror movies that was full of kids who all drowned and now haunt the water and surrounding woods. Hahahaha! I hated that dive. The one that followed down in the Florida Keys made it worth it though. Now that I am thinking about it...I went through everything to get certified, went on ONE dive in Florida 15 years ago, and have never gone again.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

August 17, 2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
HI is the place to get cert - that's where the Navy taught me how to dive

a good diver does not need to lug anything more than his mask.
Ah except that your life is dependent on equipment maintained by the dive company. Went on a dive that I was partnered with who rented. His main and secondary breather kept letting in water.

No thanks. I get my stuff checked every year. I know it will work properly. The only thing I don't have is tanks.

That and my dive computer let's me enjoy the dive more and longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

August 17, 2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal

And by a bunch of stuff to look at he means ugly ass bass that come out of nowhere. Oh, and that old school bus that drove off the cliff and into the water. You know...the one in horror movies that was full of kids who all drowned and now haunt the water and surrounding woods. Hahahaha! I hated that dive. The one that followed down in the Florida Keys made it worth it though. Now that I am thinking about it...I went through everything to get certified, went on ONE dive in Florida 15 years ago, and have never gone again.
They added stuff. Cesna. Plane. An old Cadillac vert. Basketball court. With bbs filled with sand. Not too bad.

I prefer warm water though in my shorty. Tahiti was fantastic. Bahamas were fun. Keys are ok. St maartin was ok
Cancun was great.

Only thing i hate is sea sickness. I've tried all the tricks. Sux!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#15)
I got nuthin

August 17, 2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal View Post
That dive SUCKS! Its cold, dark, spooky, and visibility is shit. At least it was when I did it 15 years ago.

+1

The Dive Shop is great.

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2002 Ducati Monster Dark 600
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2011 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2001 Suzuki SV 650
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Taty