DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 598
7 members and 591 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Want to replace Verizon Actiontec Router...got a couple of questions though
Unread
  (#1)
Im Always Down to Ride

Want to replace Verizon Actiontec Router...got a couple of questions though - July 11, 2012, 06:28 AM

So I am really disliking Verizon's Actiontec mi424wr router because its range just isn't measuring up as well, its only b/g. I have a 3 story townhouse and the router is placed on the 3rd floor and I need it to reach to the man cave. Right now, I get about 55% signal to the man cave.

My issue is that the Actiontec Router is a all in one device that has the cable modem and wireless built into one. So for me to replace it, I will need to use a cable modem and a new router right.

I have my old Motorola Cable modem and looking to get either

Amazon Amazon
Amazon (Links)Amazon (Links)

Or

Amazon Amazon
Amazon (Links)Amazon (Links)

I think I am more interested in the Sapido router because it is dual band and has the fastest rate. Plus the review from the lady about her big townhouse condo and receiving full signal now made me happy.

So my other question is if I just add the Sapido router to the Verizon router and turn off the Verizon routers wireless so I can focus on just the new router. If I just add the router to verizon's cable/router as a extender....do I still get limited to the b/g speeds it provides even though I have a new N router connected to it?

Long story short, I need better signal to my basement and Verizon's Actiontec just isn't cutting it. As well...I am being limited to the b/g distance when I have all N wireless cards in everything.

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 11, 2012, 06:39 AM

You can't replace the actiontec if you use verizons TV service, the actiotec supports MoCA.

You'll need to buy a new wireless router and bridge it to the actiontec.

Basically, what I've done in my house is feed ethernet from the ONT (you'll have to have it activated) to my new router and then bridged my new router to the actiontec as if the actiontec was pulling internet from the router and not the coax. The actiontec still needs to be connected to the coax for your settop box but you need to reconfigure it to pull internet from the ethernet port and not the coax.

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; July 11, 2012 at 06:41 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 11, 2012, 06:42 AM

If you do it the way I mentioned then you won't be subjet to the ridiculously small NAT table in the actiontec...requiring reboots every other day for some people.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#4)
Im Always Down to Ride

July 11, 2012, 06:45 AM

Sweet. That is what I thought I would have to do. That is what I will do then. Which router will you think be best. I am thinking the Sapido.

I mean I know I can go get a linksys or netgear or belkin but I rather just get a generic one that does the job.

Unread
  (#5)
Im Always Down to Ride

July 11, 2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
You can't replace the actiontec if you use verizons TV service, the actiotec supports MoCA.

Basically, what I've done in my house is feed ethernet from the ONT (you'll have to have it activated) to my new router and then bridged my new router to the actiontec as if the actiontec was pulling internet from the router and not the coax. The actiontec still needs to be connected to the coax for your settop box but you need to reconfigure it to pull internet from the ethernet port and not the coax.

Well right now...my actiontec is not connected to TV if you mean directly connected. Its just connected to a PC and nothing more.

Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 11, 2012, 06:47 AM

I'm not familiar with Sapido. Right now I'm running a linksys E3400 and it has been amazingly stable.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 11, 2012, 06:49 AM

Newegg.com - NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Gigabit Router/ USB port Rangemax 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous N600 Dual Band IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#8)

July 11, 2012, 06:52 AM

That Sapido doesnt do 5Ghz which you pretty much have to have in a townhouse environment. I guarantee 2.4Ghz is saturated.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Unread
  (#9)
Im Always Down to Ride

July 11, 2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That Sapido doesnt do 5Ghz which you pretty much have to have in a townhouse environment. I guarantee 2.4Ghz is saturated.

Man I thought I read that it did 5ghz. Yep thats out the window.

Unread
  (#10)

July 11, 2012, 07:07 AM

802.11n isnt synonymous with 5Ghz. It has to specify 802.11a

Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 11, 2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds120 View Post
Well right now...my actiontec is not connected to TV if you mean directly connected. Its just connected to a PC and nothing more.
If you have a Verizon settop box, then the actiontec is required in order to get listings/on-demand/etc.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
Im Always Down to Ride

July 11, 2012, 09:56 AM

Oh ok...cool. Well I have 2 settop boxes and 1 dvr. I think I am going to pick up this Netgear refurbed router and update the firmware to DD-WRT

Newegg.com - Refurbished: NETGEAR WNDR3400-100NAR 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous Dual Band N600 Wireless Router IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n

Unread
  (#13)
Site Owner

July 11, 2012, 10:58 AM

They've vastly improved the Actiontecs for Verizon now. When I upgraded to 150/60, they gave me a new router.

I ended up doing the same thing though, and these directions still apply:

How-to: make ActionTec MI424-WR a network bridge - Verizon Fiber Optics | DSLReports Forums

Simply use ethernet from the ONT (which all deployments are these days) for network, into your home router, and then follow the instructions above that bridges your actiontec from your network to your home coax network via MoCA so that your guides and VoD work on your STBs.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#14)
What are we doing here???

July 12, 2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post

This is what I did. I lost the ability to set my DVR to record shows from the web and the app on my phone but I rarely use that anyway so no big deal.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Unread
  (#15)
Yo quiero Trackday!

July 12, 2012, 08:01 AM

^THIS!

I've been using this one for 2 years on my condo, so far, I've had 0 issues (knock on wood)