DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
5 members and 531 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, Toecutter, vonstallin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Watching TV using only internets
Unread
  (#1)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

Watching TV using only internets - December 7, 2012, 11:07 PM

Suggestions? Apple TV? Google TV?

I'm leeching internets off my neighbor and want to avoid paying for cable TV as well.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

December 8, 2012, 02:01 AM

just any site that ends in 'tube' and you should be set!

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 8, 2012, 02:11 AM

I use a combination of netflix, hulu plus, and amazon instant video. I like the Roku boxes, but building your own streaming box is also an option.

I don't have an apple TV but like them. My blu-ray player also has many streaming options

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

December 8, 2012, 04:58 AM

I like hulu+, I think netflix is pretty lame.

What are you trying to watch mostly??
Most game consoles stream through these apps as well, so if you have an xbox or ps3 or wii, you're all set.
Unread
  (#5)
PPC rates apply.

December 8, 2012, 05:56 AM

Completely finished with Netflix. I'm also looking for new options. Apple, iTunes stream, etc. Someone pls post some tips on streaming options on wii.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

December 8, 2012, 06:23 AM

I canceled my Cable TV and now only have Internet streaming. It has it's pros and cons mostly based on perception.

Cable TV never has what you "want" to watch but there are so many options that you just put something in anyways and have something playing the whole time.

Internet only TV also never has what you "want" to watch but this time you HAVE to choose something as there is no "random" button. So if you're extremely picky it can get very frustrating. The upside is barely any commercials, it's much cheaper, and u don't feel like you're wasting your money on 748 channels when you only watch 5.

If you're gonna get a streaming box I would recommend anything that has all of these: Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon VOD, Vudu, and DLNA. I got the Sony Media Player for my 3 TVs cause it had all that, was only $50, and has a "party" mode where one TV can have music playing (slacker, pandora, etc) and the other TVs or external Sony speakers can join in on the Party stream. Kind of like Apple AirPlay but AppleTV doesn't have all the options listed above. PS, almost all devices have Internet browsers that are horrendously useless.

The final option is to have a computer specifically designated for watching on the TV which also has huge pros and cons. Or for an in-betweener you could look for newer streaming boxes that are run by an Android-like OS (Google) where you have a real browser and can even download apps from the marketplace. The new Sony boxes have this but they were expensive and I didn't wanna buy 3 of them.

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#7)
PPC rates apply.

December 8, 2012, 06:35 AM

Agree that using a separate sever-cpu for TV is a drag, but have done it just to push ESPN3/U. Might've sold me on the Sony Media Player. Sounds like Party-Mode is a good feature for me.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

December 8, 2012, 08:04 AM

I've got a little PC I built and run xbmc on. You can find a lot of stuff to watch on navi-xtreme ∑ verified user media
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS Recruiter

December 8, 2012, 09:44 AM

EZTV - TV Torrents Online

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#10)
Sewing Machine Rider

December 8, 2012, 09:47 AM

I tried it for a while, but went back to Satellite. Mainly it was because the wife didn't like it but still, I want to be able to turn on the TV and watch something instantly, not fiddle with it. Also, sports is a big hole in internet availability unless you pay big bucks for it.
Unread
  (#11)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

December 8, 2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taladis View Post
I like hulu+, I think netflix is pretty lame.

What are you trying to watch mostly??
Most game consoles stream through these apps as well, so if you have an xbox or ps3 or wii, you're all set.
Some shows like boardwalk empire, homeland, etc.

Whatever other shit is on TV. Maybe Chopped from Food network? lawl

I guess I don't really watch that much TV, or have time for it.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#12)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

December 8, 2012, 11:20 AM

Timely topic here.

Haven't had a TV in the house for the last 15 yrs or so. I think I killed the TV in 1996??

But lately I have been watching movies off of youtube. They are sparse and can be difficult to find. And they are random, you'll never find what you want.

I'm thinking I'd like to get a TV, but rather than cable, something where I can just stream movies - from 1930'3/40's to a couple years old. So much stuff from years past that I really don't need access to the latest released movies.

Just looking for option on good selections to choose from.

What are the best options for just non-current movies?
Unread
  (#13)
intermediate

December 8, 2012, 04:05 PM

hulu & netflix, u should be set, i use my jailbroken iphone4 as my roku for my room
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to silky Send a message via AIM to silky Send a message via Skype™ to silky 
Unread
  (#14)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

December 8, 2012, 04:29 PM

I ditched cable 2 years ago.I have Roku and a laptop connected to my tv.I mostly watch Netflix.I use my laptop to watch sporting events from FirstRow Live Football Stream | Watch Live Football Online | Live Soccer Stream They have every sporting event in the world. I also pick up about 30 over the air channels.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

December 8, 2012, 04:56 PM

^^^ Over The Air is what I still need to connect. But I have to get up on the roof to install an antenna for that.