DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 377
0 members and 377 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
GP Champ

November 26, 2012, 11:40 AM

You just need the triangular pieces? You'll drill the holes to fit the bushings?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#17)
Playing in the dirt

November 26, 2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
So this is how you install a con-rod on a press together crank? How would you take it apart? I'm just curious as I have no clue. (Yeah, I know. DUH!)

Mud
Yes.

For disassembly it depends on if you are saving the rod.

If it's a honda 2t "tin" crank or a KTM porkchop or any welded pin crank you cut through the rod, pin and bearing splitting the crank into 2 halves then press out the pin stubs.

If not a "special case" on a single you can either press the pin through both wheels (takes a lot more tonnage) and isnt generally recommended as you can oval the pin hole

or preferably use a press plate and press the pin through one side at a time:

There are some other more complicated fixtures to pull apart the crank as well

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#18)
Playing in the dirt

November 26, 2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
You just need the triangular pieces? You'll drill the holes to fit the bushings?
Yes, the plate I have is about 18x18. I just need the two press plates cut out of it

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#19)
GP Champ

November 29, 2012, 05:06 AM

Honestly I wouldn't bother unless you really have that much crank troubles. I've been rebuilding cranks since 2004 and made a pretty big investment into the tools.

I bet in the 8 years I've been doing them I still haven't done enough to pay for the tools. There are just too many options out there for after market crank assemblies that are crazy cheap and better quality. But I do understand having the tools for your own stuff even though I've never had crank issues with any bike I've owned. I mostly got the tools for rebuilding the old twin cranks in the standup jetskis I like to ride.

If you still haven't found someone to cut out your stuff I would use CommercialToolandDie I've known Jeff for a few years and rebuild his boy's dirt bikes when he doesn't have time. He can do anything, I even had him cut out this crank press plate for me a little while back in exchange for an engine rebuild. I bet he still has the dimensions for it as well. I used the dimensions from the old IMS plate I used at the shop in Roanoke.
Unread
  (#20)
Playing in the dirt

November 29, 2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Honestly I wouldn't bother unless you really have that much crank troubles. I've been rebuilding cranks since 2004 and made a pretty big investment into the tools.

I bet in the 8 years I've been doing them I still haven't done enough to pay for the tools. There are just too many options out there for after market crank assemblies that are crazy cheap and better quality. But I do understand having the tools for your own stuff even though I've never had crank issues with any bike I've owned. I mostly got the tools for rebuilding the old twin cranks in the standup jetskis I like to ride.

If you still haven't found someone to cut out your stuff I would use CommercialToolandDie I've known Jeff for a few years and rebuild his boy's dirt bikes when he doesn't have time. He can do anything, I even had him cut out this crank press plate for me a little while back in exchange for an engine rebuild. I bet he still has the dimensions for it as well. I used the dimensions from the old IMS plate I used at the shop in Roanoke.
I agree on most aftermarket cranks being cheaper than rebuilding, except there are no aftermarket KTM (4t) crank assemblies. I have a pile of ktm cranks here that need something (rod replaced , lightened, stroked, balanced) all need split and reassembled.

As for cost, well I scrounged all the parts/steel to build the jig from the pile of stuff already in my garage. so other than paying to have the plate cut it's free.

KTMs and Yamahas