DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
1 members and 557 guests
fxc3700
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
We got a puppy today, Please Help!
Unread
  (#1)
F4iGuy

Question We got a puppy today, Please Help! - August 4, 2007, 08:39 PM

She's a German Short Hair Pointer mixed with Lab and is def. still a puppy! Which leads me to this post. Post up your house breaking methods, please help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 078.jpg (46.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 079.jpg (31.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by dawsoncu; August 4, 2007 at 08:53 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Former Rock Star

August 4, 2007, 10:31 PM

Cool looking pup. When house breaking my last puppy I
used the crate method. He slept in there at night and wouldn't
go until we took him outside . The crate has to be small but not
enough room to sleep on the other side if they pee or poop. It
makes them have to stand over it until morning. Mine only had one accident.
We took him out at the same times getting his bladder into a schedule and
I never once had an accident to clean up. It worked for me.

"there can't be 2 number 1's, that'd be 11!"
~Eric
(The Irish Guy) R.I.P
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
No! You!

August 4, 2007, 10:39 PM

Awww, she's so cute. We use the crate method, too. Basically, crate her anytime you are not around her or not taking her out until she gets used to going outside. It is very important to be consistent with crating and with the times. They like schedules. It shouldn't take too long if done right.

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#4)
Fair Weather Fan

August 4, 2007, 11:35 PM

Sweet Puppy! My fiancee and I have had ours for a few months now. Crate training on schedule is the way to go.

On another note, where in Alexandria do you live? We could have puppy play dates at a dog park in the area.

Senatus PopolusQue Romanus
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Sharkbait Send a message via AIM to Sharkbait  
Unread
  (#5)
F4iGuy

Talking August 5, 2007, 06:11 AM

We tried the crate method last night and for the life of us we can't her into the crate! So instead we laid down puppy pads all over the bedroom floor and closed the door. We got up at 6:30am and we quickly dressed and took her out and she finally urinated outside!! This is after using the carpet 4 different times yesterday. Well hopefully the positive reinforcement this morning helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 083.jpg (444.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 084.jpg (477.8 KB, 6 views)
Unread
  (#6)
God Made Me Wrong

August 5, 2007, 09:54 AM

To get Tyson housebroken I would take her out every time after she ate, drank, slept, or played.

She was also crated when no one was around and immediately taken outside when she was let out. It was very important not to pet her or make a fuss over her when she was let out of the crate, it made her happy pee if we did. OVernight she went in her crate, and if she cried, I would take her outside to potty, then put her back in the crate.

Doing this it only took her about a month or so to housebreak her. While it was sometimes a pain to take her out all the time, it was definitely well worth it.

Get a crate with the divider (like this one) so that as your puppy gets bigger you can make the crate bigger to accomodate.

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.

Last edited by Bexxx; August 5, 2007 at 09:59 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

August 5, 2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
To get Tyson housebroken I would take her out every time after she ate, drank, slept, or played.

She was also crated when no one was around and immediately taken outside when she was let out. It was very important not to pet her or make a fuss over her when she was let out of the crate, it made her happy pee if we did. OVernight she went in her crate, and if she cried, I would take her outside to potty, then put her back in the crate.

Doing this it only took her about a month or so to housebreak her. While it was sometimes a pain to take her out all the time, it was definitely well worth it.

I did this with my Olivia when I first brought her home. It took about Month but once she was used to it she used the crate as her safe place. She did this all the time. I recommend doing this. Not only for your sanity but for the dogs safety when your not home. Enjoy the puppy,

Bexxx,

Tyson look so cute.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to java927  
Unread
  (#8)
Groundhogs can play dead

August 5, 2007, 10:07 AM

Your puppy is pretty old so it should be easy to housebreak her.
Basically do what Bex did. Everytime you feed or water the dog, take her outside shortly (within 15 minutes) thereafter. Give them a command to pee/poop. I've used "Go Hustle, go potty, bathroom;" it doesn't matter the words, but it helps add it to their vocabulary. Once the puppy does it, praise them profusely.
Then they can go in and play and stuff. Take the puppy out about couple hours or so if they're awake, and repeat.
Basically, don't give the puppy the opportunity to have to pee without being outside. And watch them... keep them in the same room you're in so you can keep an eye on them. If they get up and start sniffing or circling, take 'em out - they probably have to pee.
Crate at bedtime is awesome!
Have fun! Lots of excersise - especially for that breed combination!

Watch the dog whisperer - gives lots of good advice!

Tanya
Unread
  (#9)
F4iGuy

August 5, 2007, 10:08 AM

I'm pretty sure that our first crate was too small and will be taking it back today to find something bigger. Though today so far has been successful with her peeing and pooping outside. A few more days and we should be good! Thanks everyone so far for you stories.

Bexx, Bump on the cute puppy!
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

August 5, 2007, 10:45 AM

+1 to what Bexx said that is what we used and it worked for us.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#11)
Eddie would go ...

August 5, 2007, 11:06 AM

German Short Haired Pointers are very very trainable and loyal to the end.

Possibly best dogs ever.....yeah it was my first dog as a kid...same markings...great dog you have there and good job on the positive reinforcement method. I have never crated any of my dogs, none ever tore up the house. Create the respect and they will follow.

gratz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#12)
F4iGuy

Red face August 5, 2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
German Short Haired Pointers are very very trainable and loyal to the end.

Possibly best dogs ever.....yeah it was my first dog as a kid...same markings...great dog you have there and good job on the positive reinforcement method. I have never crated any of my dogs, none ever tore up the house. Create the respect and they will follow.

gratz

It's been just two days and i already have her as my shadow! I can see that she is going to be great! As far as the non-crating method goes, were worried she might tear up the house during our overlap in work schedules. Have you or anybody else ever used an area such as the bathroom instead of a crate? The crate we bought last night was a bit small and she refused to get into it. I fought with her trying to get her in without luck.
Unread
  (#13)
God Made Me Wrong

August 5, 2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsoncu
It's been just two days and i already have her as my shadow! I can see that she is going to be great! As far as the non-crating method goes, were worried she might tear up the house during our overlap in work schedules. Have you or anybody else ever used an area such as the bathroom instead of a crate? The crate we bought last night was a bit small and she refused to get into it. I fought with her trying to get her in without luck.
Heh yeah, before I saw the light of crating her during the day, we kept Tyson in the huge master bathroom. She scratched up the doors into the bathroom and the drywall next to the door trying to get out. And when she was teething she chewed on the bottom corner of the cabinet, the door molding, and the window sill. I had a huge puppy pillow in there for her and I came home one day to find all of the stuffing on the bathroom floor. It looked like it snowed.

I had two crates for her...the one she went into during the day was in the kitchen and she knew it as her "room". Her nighttime crate was in the bedroom and known as her "bed".

Once you get a crate the is the size you need, try putting your puppy in there for a few minutes at a time to get her used to it. You may need to physically put the dog in there the first few times, but always use a word like "home", "room", or "bed" so that your puppy associates her crate with whatever word you choose.

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#14)
M Class Holder

August 5, 2007, 01:16 PM

If you have trouble getting the puppy to go in the crate randomly throw treats in and let her walk in and out. Once she's used to that close the door and give her another treat. Let her out before she starts to whine. After a couple days of that she'll be happy with the crate.

Also, the schedule is really important crate or not.

I personally did the puppy pad thing with my second puppy since the breeder already started that. It was a big mistake. Took a month to retrain to go outside. First puppy took a week to house-train. As a dog owner you'll start to pick up the clues, certain way they break away from play or sniff a corner.
Unread
  (#15)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

August 5, 2007, 01:27 PM

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico