DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
2 members and 558 guests
nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Well, Here's The Latest Cop Trick - Coming To a Muni Near You
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Well, Here's The Latest Cop Trick - Coming To a Muni Near You - July 24, 2015, 09:24 PM

Can you say a cop is ‘undercover’ when they’re holding a sign announcing exactly who they are and what they’re doing? Maybe, if the sign is scrawled on cardboard, the officers are out of uniform, standing by an off-ramp, and everyone’s brain is conditioned to read people like that as homeless? The San Bernadino Police gave this a go, to dramatic results.

The goal of this sort-of-undercover sting was to bust texting drivers, seat-belt use-deniers, and other forms of distracted driving. The sting was remarkably successful, too — 50 vehicle stops, 33 cell phone violations, 15 seat belt violations, and the remaining cars impounded for license issues.

The police officers dressed in what appear to be normal, casual summer wear — the sort of thing you might wear to mow a lawn or attend a BBQ at somebody’s house that you gave up trying to impress decades ago, and carried signs that read

I am NOT homeless

SB police looking for seatbelt/cell phone violations
Which is, pretty much, about as accurate a description as you could ask for. We’re all so conditioned to reading the image of a person standing at an offramp holding cardboard as a homeless panhandler, that it seems nobody actually bothered to read the sign. Well, maybe some people did. I’m not entirely sure I would have.

It should be noted that, as far as police sting operations go, this one appears to be very-budget-friendly, especially if they got some off-brand markers and didn’t spring for one of those swanky Sharpies, like some kind of goddamn Rockefeller.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Commute racer

July 24, 2015, 09:56 PM

If cops would use smaller quieter bikes than Harleys, they could sneak up next to almost any car on the road and see down into the drivers lap where they are hiding that phone they text with.

I see two benefits here. More cell phone users caught. People start really looking out for riders around them because they might be cops.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

July 24, 2015, 10:22 PM

It's amazing how bad these texters drive as well. The other day I was riding on the right lane slowly coming up on a jeep wrangler on the left lane just swerving and making abrupt corrections. I pull up next to him and the dude is texting literally with the phone in front of his face. Don't even know how he could see the road. The devil told me to take off his mirror.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Real Men Pedal

July 25, 2015, 06:50 AM

If only MD would enforce these laws.
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

July 25, 2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
If only MD would enforce these laws.
How about enforcing the laws that already govern staying in control of your vehicle.

That is what texting is about. If you see a car cross a lane without signal or notification, cite them.

It doesn't have to be because they were texting. Do we need to make laws about putting on makeup, eating, changing the radio?
Unread
  (#6)
Real Men Pedal

July 25, 2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
How about enforcing the laws that already govern staying in control of your vehicle.

That is what texting is about. If you see a car cross a lane without signal or notification, cite them.

It doesn't have to be because they were texting. Do we need to make laws about putting on makeup, eating, changing the radio?
Same law in MD.
Unread
  (#7)
Meh

July 25, 2015, 08:18 AM

Unless they wrote the texting/handsfree statute back into law or lumped it with the older law, that typically isn't the case.

Do you have the link?

You get my point though...? We don't need more laws. This is like the gun control debate. Just enforcement of the laws we have.

More isn't always more.
Unread
  (#8)
Derpetologist

July 25, 2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
It's amazing how bad these texters drive as well. The other day I was riding on the right lane slowly coming up on a jeep wrangler on the left lane just swerving and making abrupt corrections. I pull up next to him and the dude is texting literally with the phone in front of his face. Don't even know how he could see the road. The devil told me to take off his mirror.
When I'm at intersections sometimes or riding along next to someone, I like to count off how long these people are staring at their phone for. They tend to go for around 4 seconds at a time between momentary glances at the road. Pretty bad.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

July 25, 2015, 09:05 AM

Who cares?

Cops don't enforce many of the laws that are out there such as tailgating or driving too slow. They just sit at the bottom of the hill with the radar gun or trying to be sneaking behind a bush or whatever with a laser gun. They could give 2 shiits about safety. Its all about the money...hence why I say just roll out.

A.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com
ZX14: 243 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
Ninja 650: 130.7 mph
Ninja 400: 123.5 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

July 25, 2015, 12:04 PM

^^^No sir. They certainly do care about tailgating and turn signals. They even arrest you for violation of them. Then you mysteriously end up dead.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Last edited by Heist; July 25, 2015 at 06:16 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
TNT
GP Champ

July 25, 2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
^^^No sir. They certainly do car about tailgating and turn signals.

They even arrest you for violation of them.

Then you mysteriously end up dead.

Edit: I made a joke that was probably in bad taste. Just suffice to say that the above situation Heist referenced is pretty messed up and I don't want people thinking I take it lightly.

Last edited by TNT; July 25, 2015 at 01:26 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Yo quiero Trackday!

July 25, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphteey View Post
Who cares?

Cops don't enforce many of the laws that are out there such as tailgating or driving too slow. They just sit at the bottom of the hill with the radar gun or trying to be sneaking behind a bush or whatever with a laser gun. They could give 2 shiits about safety. Its all about the money...hence why I say just roll out.

A.

^This

Wish VA cops shifted their focus from "speeders" to, texters, left lane huggers, improper merging, lack of turn signal use, etc!

Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

July 27, 2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphteey View Post
Who cares?

A.

Or this one trying to be sneaky watching people down the block. I think he sped away to arrest someone for improper use of a salad fork.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Fast Lane Racing

July 27, 2015, 09:36 AM

yet if that cop was shot he would suddenly be a hero that kept our streets safe...
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

July 27, 2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellraiserinDC View Post
Or this one trying to be sneaky watching people down the block. I think he sped away to arrest someone for improper use of a salad fork.

I saw one of the new breed of DC Popo's roll up on someone this weekend in Kalorama on a segway for double parking.

Meanwhile the guy driving behind me had weed so loud I could smell 30 ft in front of him.