DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 585
7 members and 578 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
What do you know about Greenpeace?
Unread
  (#1)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

What do you know about Greenpeace? - June 8, 2012, 02:08 AM

The reason I ask is because they have a temporary consulting position open in which I am extremely interested in but IDK if I can support their mission. More specifically, the way in which try to accomplish their organizational goals, they seem a bit too radical for my liking. The way I look at it is if I am going to work for a non-profit, me being in tune with their organizational goals and mission becomes more important compared to if i work for a for-profit company.

The job looks great, something I would love, but I am getting turned away from news articles I have read and so I figure Id see what the public image is of them. But the opportunity is pretty attractive considering there are not taht many entry-mid level organizational development positions available (you normally need at least 5+ years experience), and so just coming out of grad school with 1 year of OD experience, it looks appealing.

Last edited by Riz; June 8, 2012 at 02:18 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 8, 2012, 03:55 AM

I am often not sure if they do various things to get press and attention, or if they are being being stupid.

That said, I would be weary of taking this job simply because it's a very polarizing organization. That may not matter to you, but it might be the reason why your resume ends up in the trash when you are looking at future jobs down the road. (it seems like in IT, there are many more people who would see them negatively than positively, but maybe I'm wrong)

Of course if you want to make a career working for lib/left organizations - and there's plenty of IT guys supporting each camp - then it might be a particularly good gig.
Unread
  (#3)
Get Tarded!

June 8, 2012, 05:51 AM

A lot of their supporters would protest motorcycle rides in California, and even booby trap the trails..... food for though.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#4)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

June 8, 2012, 06:09 AM

Uh....do you *really* want to put a radical organization on your resume? That can have a big impact on the companies that read your resume later on. Your resume is only to get you in the door for an interview. So think about what that will say about you.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#5)
Playing in the dirt

June 8, 2012, 06:16 AM

Dirty hippies...

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 8, 2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Of course if you want to make a career working for lib/left organizations - and there's plenty of IT guys supporting each camp - then it might be a particularly good gig.
+1 NGO's like this are excellent ways to get into a long term career that is closely tied with government level activities. That is always a good thing for career progression in the DC area. However, Greenpeace is certainly on the definite Left of the scale, they don't have much as far as balanced or accommodating stance on things. If you are ok with continuing with a left geared career progression no matter how extreme or mild it might be, then I say go for it and it will be an unbelievable opportunity for you. But if you're the kind that prefers to stay non-partisan in your views and in your future career then be wary of putting that on your resume.

Remember, left agendas include everything from environmentalists, to the peace corps, to the school systems, to labor matters, social programs, health care, and even finance. The fields and opportunities are all over the place. But if you find yourself really wanting a position with the WTO for example, well you might want to focus more on the WHO instead if GreenPeace is on your resume.

Don't scare off from the prospects so quickly though, do some more research and soul searching. If the position sounds very interesting then run with it. In 10 years or so it'll fall off your resume anyways (unless you decide to run for political office).
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 8, 2012, 06:33 AM

Borderline terrorist org.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#8)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 8, 2012, 06:58 AM

Deals with the Devil never go awry. What could possibly happen? That the polarizing organization that you dont necessarily agree with employs a majority of people that do agree with them? Im sure you wouldnt be an outcast at all.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#9)
Derpetologist

June 8, 2012, 07:09 AM

stay far away

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#10)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

June 8, 2012, 11:15 AM

Very good points, especially the part about it being on my resume, which was a concern of mine as well. It doesnt matter how good the experience is, if im working for an outcast organization, no bueno. I just wasnt sure if they actually extreme left wing or not, I was only suspecting they were, so thats why I asked to confirm. Thanks!
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 8, 2012, 12:06 PM

It's not their far left political stance that makes them dangerous to your career/reputation

It's the criminal activities they are repeatedly involved in. They say JUST insulated enough to avoid prosecution, while their underlings are left out to dry

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

June 8, 2012, 02:07 PM

Yes, but like I said, if you want to make a political IT career, having a very left wing organization will not hinder you. It will help you even when you are working with moderate left wing organizations. So it really depends on your career goals and strategy.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

June 8, 2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Yes, but like I said, if you want to make a political IT career, having a very left wing organization will not hinder you. It will help you even when you are working with moderate left wing organizations. So it really depends on your career goals and strategy.
Exactly! Don't take biased opinions saying that it is a "bad choice". Whether the choice is bad or not is absolutely relative to your own personal viewpoints. Obviously if you are a republican at heart then don't do it. If you are a democrat then go for it. And if you are an Independent do some more research. If you are none of the above then educate yourself on the politics of our country

Greenpeace is a good organization. The shady shit they do is no less shady than what all large organizations do. Think of the future like this...1) you could end up with a real desire to work for a company that is in the food or the oil industry in the future, well you just shot yourself in the ass... 2) you could end up with a real desire to work for a company that promotes health for youth around the world, equality in developing nations, or a legal/construction firms that specialize in environmental rights/technologies, or a lobbying group, or even work as a university professor; then you would be a shoe-in... or 3) you could decide to work for a typical private organization at which point the validity of your work experience would be 100% determined by who's reading your resume, in other words, no different than any other job.

Time to think about your future. And if you're not comfortable then just don't take it. But you have to be ok with passing up a potentially very good and enjoyable opportunity as well. Sometimes you just gotta cut your loses and move on.
Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 8, 2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
Exactly! Don't take biased opinions saying that it is a "bad choice". Whether the choice is bad or not is absolutely relative to your own personal viewpoints. Obviously if you are a republican at heart then don't do it. If you are a democrat then go for it. And if you are an Independent do some more research. If you are none of the above then educate yourself on the politics of our country

Greenpeace is a good organization. The shady shit they do is no less shady than what all large organizations do. Think of the future like this...1) you could end up with a real desire to work for a company that is in the food or the oil industry in the future, well you just shot yourself in the ass... 2) you could end up with a real desire to work for a company that promotes health for youth around the world, equality in developing nations, or a legal/construction firms that specialize in environmental rights/technologies, or a lobbying group, or even work as a university professor; then you would be a shoe-in... or 3) you could decide to work for a typical private organization at which point the validity of your work experience would be 100% determined by who's reading your resume, in other words, no different than any other job.

Time to think about your future. And if you're not comfortable then just don't take it. But you have to be ok with passing up a potentially very good and enjoyable opportunity as well. Sometimes you just gotta cut your loses and move on.
It has nothing to do with left or right. Lives have been destroyed because greenpeace frequently tacitly tells their folks to trespass, commit sabotage, and other illegal acts, then plays dumb when they get arrested. It's the employees that always end up taking the fall while the org gets nothing.

It's dangerous to your reputation to work for extremists on either side of the political coin.

Hard to get a job if you get pinched because greenpeace does something illegal at your location, etc.

I'm a conservative, and I wouldn't go to work for many right wing orgs either. Being associated with extreme activism can and does have detrimental effects on your life, employability, and reputation.

LOL. You're really telling him to "not take opinions" on it being a bad idea, when he came in here ASKING for advice on it?

What I've said isn't biased. They routinely get their employees arrested then do nothing to help them keep from getting prosecuted. They play the "we didn't sanction this" card when everyone knows they do.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Last edited by Fitz; June 8, 2012 at 02:31 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

June 8, 2012, 02:40 PM

If you want to break the law, then do it for the government.

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider