DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
1 members and 555 guests
TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
What an Outrage!
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

What an Outrage! - June 23, 2009, 10:46 PM

I seriously cannot believe this shit!

CHICAGO — An off-duty Chicago police officer convicted of pummeling a female bartender half his size was sentenced Tuesday to two years probation and anger management classes for the videotaped attack that appeared worldwide on the Internet and cable news channels.

Cook County Circuit Judge John Fleming also gave Anthony Abbate, 40, a home curfew of 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. and ordered him to perform 130 hours of community service.

"No one in recent memory ... has done more to tarnish the reputation of the Chicago Police Department than Anthony Abbate," Cook County Assistant State's Attorney LuAnn Snow said Tuesday.

Prosecutors had asked for prison for Abbate -- he could have been sentenced to up to five years behind bars -- but the judge said he didn't see aggravating factors to justify a prison term. The judge said Abbate had a clean record before the incident, did not seriously injure the bartender, and underwent alcohol rehab "and has not had a relapse."

"If I believed sentencing Anthony Abbate to prison would stop people from getting drunk and hitting people, I'd give him the maximum sentence," Fleming said.

Earlier this month, the judge rejected Abbate's claim he acted in self-defense and convicted him of aggravated battery. A tavern security video shows a drunken, 250-pound Abbate punching and kicking the 125-pound Karolina Obrycka as she tended bar in February 2007. The altercation happened after she refused to serve him more drinks.

The video captured a lot of attention as another example of misconduct by Chicago police. Then-Superintendent Phil Cline suddenly announced his retirement shortly after the video surfaced and former FBI official Jody Weis was appointed to the spot with an order to clean up the department's image.

Abbate acknowledged during the trial that he was drunk during the incident. But he said Obrycka pushed him first as she tried to remove him from behind the bar. Obrycka said during the hearing that she continues to suffer psychological wounds, often has nightmares and has trouble trusting people, including her husband.

If you haven't seen the video, see below (warning: It is graphic):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp5837FiUdI

If you ask me, the cocksucker should have been locked up for the rest of his no-good, natural life.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Say Jur Oh

June 23, 2009, 10:51 PM

Yeah, cops get off light, that's just the way it is. The fact is we all punish our buddies lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#3)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 23, 2009, 11:15 PM

That guy is one of the lowest pieces of shit I've ever seen.

Justice...what a joke.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

June 23, 2009, 11:24 PM

gold star to the dude who watches him do it...pond scum

local boy cop vs foreign female bartender.....no contents on the floor or in court

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
Banned

June 23, 2009, 11:28 PM

the american judicial system is a fucking joke, for sure.
Unread
  (#6)
done for now...

June 24, 2009, 06:24 AM

and why did the other patrons just watch? I wonder if they know he was a cop and that's why.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

June 24, 2009, 06:30 AM

police the scum of the earth....

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#8)
The last urrbendah

June 24, 2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post
police the scum of the earth....
Until you need them.

I don't get the other patrons just watching.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 24, 2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Until you need them.

I don't get the other patrons just watching.
I wont get into this but I dont need police...

Quote:
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
Unread
  (#10)
The last urrbendah

June 24, 2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post
I wont get into this but I dont need police...
What about your family? I'm sure you've got at least one woman in the bunch who ventures out onto the streets of America alone. Bad things happen for no other reason than just because. I'd hate to think what would happen if there wasn't some system of checks and balances (Police and Judicial system) in place.

Granted the system isn't perfect and is more broken in some places than others, but it does more good than bad.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

June 24, 2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
What about your family? I'm sure you've got at least one woman in the bunch who ventures out onto the streets of America alone. Bad things happen for no other reason than just because. I'd hate to think what would happen if there wasn't some system of checks and balances (Police and Judicial system) in place.

Granted the system isn't perfect and is more broken in some places than others, but it does more good than bad.
true but Im indirectly related to a VA cop and you wouldnt believe some of the shit that goes on between these local piggys lets just say he tells me alot....

Quote:
change.

Last edited by GiixerFiend7; June 24, 2009 at 06:50 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
Street Bonk Bum.....

June 24, 2009, 06:47 AM

what a fat piece of shit!

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#13)
Super Moderator

June 24, 2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
the american judicial system is a fucking joke, for sure.
This I agree with. Its just not this situation. A LOT of SCUM get off easy ALL THE TIME! Its not like this guy just got off easy JUST cause he is the PoPo. Just sit in court one day and check it out for yourself. Why do you think a lot of Police are disgusted with the Judicial system. I see people who get locked up for robbery (or burglary) and the judge puts them in a halfway house in the same area they robbed! The Judge gives them conditions of release (such as stay away orders). They violate them in a week and get locked up. In D.C., if a person violates a stay awa order issued by a Judge, you can lock them up on the spot. The Judge goes, "I told you you cant do that. Back to the half way house" and re releases them.The guy goes right back to doing what he did in the same area. I know theres always if, and, or buts. But in this specific case, thats what they usually do to people who have no record - Community Service and anger management.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#14)
Super Moderator

June 24, 2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
what a fat piece of shit!
YUP!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#15)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 24, 2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
This I agree with. Its just not this situation. A LOT of SCUM get off easy ALL THE TIME! Its not like this guy just got off easy JUST cause he is the PoPo. Just sit in court one day and check it out for yourself. Why do you think a lot of Police are disgusted with the Judicial system. I see people who get locked up for robbery (or burglary) and the judge puts them in a halfway house in the same area they robbed! The Judge gives them conditions of release (such as stay away orders). They violate them in a week and get locked up. In D.C., if a person violates a stay awa order issued by a Judge, you can lock them up on the spot. The Judge goes, "I told you you cant do that. Back to the half way house" and re releases them.The guy goes right back to doing what he did in the same area. I know theres always if, and, or buts. But in this specific case, thats what they usually do to people who have no record - Community Service and anger management.
James this is exactly what I was thinking and I couldnt help, but feel sickened. I've been trying to find excuses. Deduce some reasoning, but I just cant help, but think this is indicative of the entire justice system. I dont think he got off easy just because he was law enforcement. Im afraid that this is just the way it is in America's courts today. Unfortunately, I think any piece of shit who does something like this stands a good chance of receiving a similarly light sentence.

A while back, my brother's fiancee's sister was persistently being stalked and harrassed by some asshole. Despite all her efforts, nothing was done to curb his behavior. In fact, it only escalated. Eventually he assaulted her one night while she was walking into her apt. Slashed her with a knife and broke three of her ribs. He never spent a day in Jail.