DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 635
3 members and 632 guests
GRN96WS6, Nobrains, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

September 2, 2005, 11:51 PM

I remember years ago when the gas prices jumped up for some reason, there we a BUNCH of tricks that gas stations tried to do. So, I decided to post up the ones that I remember.

Of course, theres price gouging. Thats the assholes who spike up the price just to get a buck - yeah, OPEC is doing it but I mean our gas stations. If you see a gas station which is unusually higher than everyone else, or all the gas stations are closed and one is open with really high prices, REPORT THEM! I think the fine is 5,000.00 per offense. YTheres a website to do it on but I cant find the link..Illl post it up later.

Also, I almost GUARANTEE that startions will start to dilute the gas. Basically mix water with gas. If you notice that a lot more water is coming out your tailpipe from a certain gas station, they are probably putting water in the gas. Now they have more gas to sell!

If you notice that when you fill up, it took 18.2 gallons of gas to fill and you have only a 15 gallon tank! Gas stations used to find these guys who would mess with the calibration of the gas pumps.

You walk up to a gas station and a guy comes up to you and offers to fill your tank on his/her credit card for cash. DONT DO IT! people come up with some good stories but the truth is that card is probably stolen and the guy or girl they stole it from is probably down the street beat up - big thing in D.C.

Also, tempers are high on the roads because of this gas thing. Watch out for road rage especially at gas stations with them closing. I noticed that a lot more bikes are on the road and not for joyriding. People are pulling out their old bikes to go to work cause they cant afford the gas any other way. It's simple statistics - more bikes, more accidents, more thefts of bikes.

Watch out for suspicious vehicles in the neighborhoods such as uhauls, trailers, cargo vans, caravans, people following you home or at least to you neighborhood...

Just a couple of helpful hints...If your think of others, PLEASE POST UP!!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
( * )|( * )

September 3, 2005, 12:28 AM

Funny, in hoodbridge...Karli and I drove past the gas stations off minnieville and two roads down the gas was about 25 cheaper!

I hope the government puts down some sort of law against gouging...

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

September 3, 2005, 12:32 AM

Speaking of which...I had a group of guys follow me in a van as i was heading into work. I would speed up and pass people and next thing I know they are still behind me...kicked it up to about 80ish for a little bit because for them to keep up it would confirm they are trying to tail me...yup...there they were. Well, after that...um...I sorta left them

keep your eyes out and be extremely careful out there! But it is good to see more bikes...this week 2 other people started riding when they saw me coming into work...my goal is to get even more out there!

Can't wait until the SUV craze is gone once and for all!

Be safe all!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#4)
Meh

September 3, 2005, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6

Can't wait until the SUV craze is gone once and for all!

Be safe all!
Amen to that. I wish I could sell my truck right now. I no longer need it for work.
Unread
  (#5)
Site Admin

September 3, 2005, 12:42 AM

chris you shoulda pulled out the AK....that woulda scared them off!
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

September 3, 2005, 12:51 AM

Drove by a station in Chantilly (just past south riding heading west on 50) and the price was $3.99. Got to Winchester and it was $3.19 at sheetz. $.80 cents difference ... INCREDIBLE!

"A true champion takes the best from all influences, discards the useless - and forms an arsenal a pure practitioner cannot (without luck) overcome" -- Bruce Lee
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cipher  
Unread
  (#7)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

September 3, 2005, 01:05 AM

yea but that's not price gouging.. we haven't even begun to see price gouging.. all we're seeing is the effect of demand on the lack of supply.

Gas is always more expensive in noVA than Winchester. And gas is always a different price between gas stations, even when they're only 5 blocks apart (traffic patterns affect gas prices).

Pretty much all fuel that can be will be diverted to New Orleans to feed the military presence, emergency services, shipping services, and reconstruction efforts. Atleast, that's what a good president would do. So either way our gas prices are going up and staying up for a very long time.
Unread
  (#8)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

September 3, 2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher
Drove by a station in Chantilly (just past south riding heading west on 50) and the price was $3.99. Got to Winchester and it was $3.19 at sheetz. $.80 cents difference ... INCREDIBLE!
Very INCREDIBLE bro...

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#9)
Ballaugh Bridge

September 3, 2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I hope the government puts down some sort of law against gouging...
There is. In Virginia there is a law against jacking up fuel prices, but it is only in effect during a declared state of emergency. The governor had declared a limited state of emergency for this reason.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

September 3, 2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R

Also, I almost GUARANTEE that startions will start to dilute the gas. Basically mix water with gas. If you notice that a lot more water is coming out your tailpipe from a certain gas station, they are probably putting water in the gas. Now they have more gas to sell!
Don't worry about them mixing water with gas, that would rust their tanks, the water will just settle on the bottom of the tank, thus you would only pump water out of the thank into your vehicle and your vehicle wopuld not run, gasoline contaminated with water makes cars run really crappy(misfires,extreme lack of power,etc.).The water you see coming out of tailpipe is condensation, also, with those new "zero emissions" vehicles they burn so darn clean that its mostly just water vapor coming out. But the other stuff you listed is quite possible and happens more than people think.
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

September 3, 2005, 06:54 PM

Went to the Shell station in Bowie earlier today and they had bags over all of the regular nozzles ($3.51/gal). The price for the next grade was $3.61/gal. Took $35 and change to put 9.8 gallons into my Civic (05). Thank god I get 30+ mpg. Definitely going to be taking the bike in any and all occasions that I can. A lot of folks are going to be getting second jobs to be able to afford to get to work.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Marine2651 Send a message via MSN to Marine2651  
Unread
  (#12)
old fat and slow

September 3, 2005, 07:04 PM

now that is gouging .... i'm quite sure that they still had the regular unleaded.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#13)
Licensed Rider

September 5, 2005, 07:00 AM

Force of habit I usually pump 1 gallon and see if the sale price matches. Even if 1 cent off that adds up for the owner. But I can't justify climbing over his counter for 1 cent.
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

September 5, 2005, 08:01 AM

My wife used to manage several gas station/convenience stores back home and they generally only have two tanks. One for Premium and one for Regular and the midgrade stuff is a mixture of the two. So, this is definitely a scam.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Marine2651 Send a message via MSN to Marine2651  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

September 5, 2005, 07:10 PM

I think you're paranoid.

Personally, I'm not sweating it. I didn't buy a super big gas guzzler when the gas was cheap. Prices will eventually go down. In the meantime, they will be more expensive and since I need transportation and I can't affect gas prices myself, I'm not gonna worry about something I can't do anything about. I suggest you not worry about it either.