DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
2 members and 554 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
What's wrong with Bowie?
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

What's wrong with Bowie? - April 13, 2012, 08:02 AM

We're looking at purchasing a new construction home, and the prices in Bowie are rediculously low compared to everywhere else near the district. I understand it's PG county, and the taxes are a bit higher, will probably have to send kids to private schools. But the houses look good, newer neighborhood looks just like mont county neighborhoods.

Is there something else I should consider?

I did pull up a website which says Bowie has a higher crime rate. I dunno just looking for some insight.

06 gsxr 750

Last edited by Doc750; April 13, 2012 at 08:04 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Super Moderator

April 13, 2012, 08:18 AM

Depends on where you live in Bowie..Crime rate is a BIG thing...PArts of bowie (but just like everywhere else) suck..Also, a lot of their infrastructure is OLD. How often to they loose power? Couple friends of mine loose power pretty much during every storm. Hows your work commute going to be there? RT50 turns into a parking lot...eh..but so does everywhere else.. How is the area surrounding your new development?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

April 13, 2012, 08:28 AM

Bowie's prices command a premium because of its location - you're basically splitting the difference between DC & Annapolis and have 50 & 301 in close proximity.

The subtle part - it is also more integrated than say its upscale counterparts, Mitchellville and Woodmore.

Cold fact of the RE business is that predominately black neighborhoods, which most of PG County is in the first 10-12 miles surrounding DC, the housing prices are going to be lower even if the level and craftmenship, square footage, and frontage is equivalent to houses in more integrated or predominately white communities. Just the way the real estate game works.

As for an alternative to Bowie - Western Laurel/Beltsville is a mixed community with good access and amenities. There is new construction going up all around the Western side in part due to the ICC. Laurel - which is roughly the same distance from DC as Bowie, also leaves more options to get into DC (Rte 1, B/W, 95, MARC Railroad.)

Brickyard Station Brick Yard Station has already broken ground and part of the development will be right on the MARC line and 1,000 ft from the mouth of the ICC.

Konterra Town Center, about a 1/2 mile from Brickyard, has razed the plot it's being built on. I don't have a date on ground breaking just yet. Konterra Realty -Town Center, Shopping, Entertainment

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; April 13, 2012 at 08:30 AM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

April 13, 2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
Depends on where you live in Bowie..Crime rate is a BIG thing...PArts of bowie (but just like everywhere else) suck..Also, a lot of their infrastructure is OLD. How often to they loose power? Couple friends of mine loose power pretty much during every storm. Hows your work commute going to be there? RT50 turns into a parking lot...eh..but so does everywhere else.. How is the area surrounding your new development?
I work from home when in DC, but fly out to Chicago a couple of weeks at a time. The wife works down in DC. We're going to drive down there this weekend to checkout the surrounding neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Bowie's prices command a premium because of its location - you're basically splitting the difference between DC & Annapolis and have 50 & 301 in close proximity.

The subtle part - it is also more integrated than say its upscale counterparts, Mitchellville and Woodmore.

Cold fact of the RE business is that predominately black neighborhoods, which most of PG County is in the first 10-12 miles surrounding DC, the housing prices are going to be lower even if the level and craftmenship, square footage, and frontage is equivalent to houses in more integrated or predominately white communities. Just the way the real estate game works.

As for an alternative to Bowie - Western Laurel/Beltsville is a mixed community with good access and amenities. There is new construction going up all around the Western side in part due to the ICC. Laurel - which is roughly the same distance from DC as Bowie, also leaves more options to get into DC (Rte 1, B/W, 95, MARC Railroad.)

Brickyard Station Brick Yard Station has already broken ground and part of the development will be right on the MARC line and 1,000 ft from the mouth of the ICC.

Konterra Town Center, about a 1/2 mile from Brickyard, has razed the plot it's being built on. I don't have a date on ground breaking just yet. Konterra Realty -Town Center, Shopping, Entertainment
We were looking at the NVhomes in fairwood.

New Fairwood Community Homes in Bowie, MD - NVHomes

As I'm reading I'm seeing Crofton seems to be another area nearby that has potential. I will look into laurel and beltsville as well. Thanks

06 gsxr 750
Unread
  (#5)
whoa preppy......

April 13, 2012, 08:41 AM

nothing. Ziggy Stardust ruled.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 13, 2012, 08:45 AM

Depends... Is this BOWIE or landover/largo areas being claimed as Bowie? Same thing used to happen with /kent land areas being called hyattsville several yrs ago.

Real Bowie isn't bad... But yes, the property taxes in Bowie are outrageous. Prices might be super low because Bowie got hit particularly hard with the housing market crash with a TON of foreclosures on the McMansions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

April 13, 2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypink600rr View Post
Depends... Is this BOWIE or landover/largo areas being claimed as Bowie? Same thing used to happen with /kent land areas being called hyattsville several yrs ago.

Real Bowie isn't bad... But yes, the property taxes in Bowie are outrageous. Prices might be super low because Bowie got hit particularly hard with the housing market crash with a TON of foreclosures on the McMansions.

Looks like its off of fairwood pkwy, surrounded by Rt 50, 450 and 197

06 gsxr 750
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

April 13, 2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypink600rr View Post

These reasons too.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#9)
TPG og

April 13, 2012, 09:04 AM

check out Berwyn Heights
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

April 13, 2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
check out Berwyn Heights
Didn't the DEA shoot the Mayor's dog on a botched raid a few years ago?
Unknowingly someone had shipped the Mayor a few pounds a marijuana. DEA was tracking the package and thought the Mayor was the actual recipient.
They kicked in his door and shot the dog.

Unread
  (#11)
True Riyduh

April 13, 2012, 11:02 AM

subscribed

I have........ no bike.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to P-Luva Send a message via AIM to P-Luva Send a message via MSN to P-Luva  
Unread
  (#12)
Noob!!!

April 13, 2012, 11:54 AM

I work in Bowie at the Honda/Nissan dealerships and have been around this area for the past 15 years. I consider it to be a decent place to live, but I don't know about the schools. Some places in Bowie are better then others though. The "B" and "M" sections are good as well as a few others and I myself would like to purchase a home there if I could finally sell my place in sykesville. But the area's that are right around the town center are not the greatest as well as the "N" section and the Pointer Ridge area. I do not have statistics to prove it, but there seems to be a lot of theft in those areas. At least that's the impression I get from customers, friends and co-workers.
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

April 13, 2012, 12:01 PM

My cousin's parents sent her to live with us 15 years ago because the school was really bad (Bowie High). Can't imagine it got any better under Jack Johnson's leadership.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#14)
Derpentine Dealer

April 13, 2012, 12:15 PM

FWIW, I live just north of the Glenmont Metro Station in Monkeybutt County, and our power used to go off anytime someone on the block sneezed. Now finally, after Monkeybutt County got serious with Pepco, it's not as bad. It's pretty good, actually. But this is only within the past few months. So PGC is not the only place with crap grids. It's anywhere covered by Pepco.

Meanwhile, the stretch of Georgia Avenue where I live is appallingly rough. And the side streets? Forget about it. I've driven in Mexico and on Navajo Reservations where the rock roads are smoother. Monkeybutt County likes to think of itself as the good side of the tracks, but infrastructure within is pretty bad. I can't imagine Bowie being any worse.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; April 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

April 13, 2012, 12:22 PM

Montgomery like to sits on its mount and look its nose down at PG, but the truth is remove Rockville, Bethesda/Chevy Chase, & Potomac and MoCo isn't really special and in many cases, equally as meh as PG.

I truly wished I had bought in MoCo before fucking PG.