DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
2 members and 521 guests
2blueyam, REDSKTL 280ZX
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
When death comes calling, so does Oscar the cat
Unread
  (#1)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

When death comes calling, so does Oscar the cat - July 26, 2007, 09:42 AM

I PERSONALLY THINK THE CAT SMOTHERS PEOPLE WITH THEIR PILLOWS. CATS ARE EVIL!!

PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (AP) -- Oscar the cat seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours.

Oscar the cat doesn't like to be put out in the hall when a patient is dying.

His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means the patient has less than four hours to live.
"He doesn't make too many mistakes. He seems to understand when patients are about to die," Dr. David Dosa said in an interview. He describes the phenomenon in a poignant essay in Thursday's issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

"Many family members take some solace from it. They appreciate the companionship that the cat provides for their dying loved one," said Dosa, a geriatrician and assistant professor of medicine at Brown University.

The 2-year-old feline was adopted as a kitten and grew up in a third-floor dementia unit at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. The facility treats people with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease and other illnesses.

After about six months, the staff noticed Oscar would make his own rounds, just like the doctors and nurses. He'd sniff and observe patients, then sit beside people who would wind up dying in a few hours.

Dosa said Oscar seems to take his work seriously and is generally aloof. "This is not a cat that's friendly to people," he said.

Oscar is better at predicting death than the people who work there, said Dr. Joan Teno of Brown University, who treats patients at the nursing home and is an expert on care for the terminally ill

She was convinced of Oscar's talent when he made his 13th correct call. While observing one patient, Teno said she noticed the woman wasn't eating, was breathing with difficulty and that her legs had a bluish tinge, signs that often mean death is near.

Oscar wouldn't stay inside the room, though, so Teno thought his streak was broken. Instead, it turned out the doctor's prediction was roughly 10 hours too early. Sure enough, during the patient's final two hours, nurses told Teno that Oscar joined the woman at her bedside.

Doctors say most of the people who get a visit from the sweet-faced, gray-and-white cat are so ill they probably don't know he's there, so patients aren't aware he's a harbinger of death. Most families are grateful for the advance warning, although one wanted Oscar out of the room while a family member died. When Oscar is put outside, he paces and meows his displeasure.

No one's certain if Oscar's behavior is scientifically significant or points to a cause. Teno wonders if the cat notices telltale scents or reads something into the behavior of the nurses who raised him.

Nicholas Dodman, who directs an animal behavioral clinic at the Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and has read Dosa's article, said the only way to know is to carefully document how Oscar divides his time between the living and dying.
If Oscar really is a furry grim reaper, it's also possible his behavior could be driven by self-centered pleasures like a heated blanket placed on a dying person, Dodman said.
Nursing home staffers aren't concerned with explaining Oscar, so long as he gives families a better chance at saying goodbye to the dying.

Oscar recently received a wall plaque publicly commending his "compassionate hospice care."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/dea....ap/index.html

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#2)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 26, 2007, 09:44 AM

yes i read about that..Oscar the death pussy...

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#3)

July 26, 2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblizzxdc
yes i read about that..Oscar the death pussy...

HAHAHAHA

That is some Killer Pussy!!

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#4)
Officially a Ninja

July 26, 2007, 10:01 AM

I'm allergic, just great.. I'd spend my last 4 hours in hives... Kill the cat, make a violin, and play me some music!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bluebusa07  
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 26, 2007, 10:05 AM

i wish i had a cute harbinger of death. Id bring that bitch to the spot all the time. 'Oh you wanna do a burnout? Here, hold my cat'

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
July 26, 2007, 10:34 AM

OSCAR..the pussy of death...

Thats kinda nuts, but it helps the nurses and staff fo sho

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#7)
B
It goes to 11.

July 26, 2007, 10:38 AM

Cats were the gatekeepers to the underworld in egyptian culture, a culture that erected engineering feats that still baffle people today.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#8)

July 26, 2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
Cats were the gatekeepers to the underworld in egyptian culture, a culture that erected engineering feats that still baffle people today.
The same culture that inbred itself to its own demise.

Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

July 26, 2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
The same culture that inbred itself to its own demise.
That was a ruling family, not a culture. Every major dynasty had inbreeding in order to maintain power, the chinese and european ruling houses often did the same thing through marriage of cousins or close family members.

All they made was stone henge and a very long wall.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#10)
Site Owner

July 26, 2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Discovery channel.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#11)
B
It goes to 11.

July 26, 2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Thank you, Discovery channel.
incidently folks, my cat HATES rob.... strait up hates him. 6 people in my little condo and my cat would not go NEAR him.

sorry rob, you're evil and he knows it.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#12)

July 26, 2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
incidently folks, my cat HATES rob.... strait up hates him. 6 people in my little condo and my cat would not go NEAR him.

sorry rob, you're evil and he knows it.
I think its funnier that you were holding your cat like a precious child and said to Rob that he better leave. If you woulda said that to me. I woulda told you to throw that fleabag under the sink until I leave.

You are now officially gayer for being a single male cat owner that treats his cats like children. Go live in a fucking shoe.

Unread
  (#13)
got barrier?

July 26, 2007, 11:20 AM

^ for you

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#14)
B
It goes to 11.

July 26, 2007, 03:15 PM

Don't fuck with my pussy, bitch!

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#15)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 26, 2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
I think its funnier that you were holding your cat like a precious child and said to Rob that he better leave. If you woulda said that to me. I woulda told you to throw that fleabag under the sink until I leave.

You are now officially gayer for being a single male cat owner that treats his cats like children. Go live in a fucking shoe.

I like ure tattoo, is it real?

sex addict