DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 192
1 members and 191 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
When Political Correctness gets whacky..
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

When Political Correctness gets whacky.. - April 16, 2007, 09:01 AM

NOTE: This thread is not meant to be racist, it is mearly for conversation and information purposes. Please keep it that way!

We have discussed some interesting things on this site, and since this weather is keeping the bike posts down, I thought I would start a conversation thread, that in the end we might learn some new & interesting things.

Yesterday I was watching Fox & Friends in the Morning and they did a special on the British Parliment and the 5 "African American" members of Parliment and their ancestorial history. It was actually quite interesting. But it struck me that they referred to these 5 members of BRITISH Parliment as "African AMERICANS" several times.

We have become so politically correct as a nation, we don't even think when we talk sometimes. So I am wondering:

How do other countries handle race terminology? What is a person of color or ethnicity called in other countries that are not their homeland? I know some of you frequent other countries or have been stationed there. Anybody know?

Again....this is a serious question and I am not looking for slang or derogatory terms.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
Ling Long

April 16, 2007, 09:08 AM

They just called themselves Black when I was in Europe :shrug:

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#3)
BE ENCOURAGED!

April 16, 2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
They just called themselves Black when I was in Europe :shrug:
But would the media refer to them as that or is that considered bad? I wonder if other countries care about the political correctness of it all like the U.S. Does.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#4)
Ling Long

April 16, 2007, 09:14 AM

Media didn't call them African Americans. Most countries aren't as stupidly PC as us.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#5)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
April 16, 2007, 09:22 AM

I think Guzz has a good point about our country as a whole. Being PC is for the most part to me a waste of time,money and brainpower. If we really look at the tv show calling British citizens (INSERT WHAT EVER COUNTRY HERE) - Americans . What can we really call ourselves? Sinorussianitalianoslavbosnibritishpakistani..... - Americans?

In such a litigous society I belive that we have gone way to far in trying to compartmentalize our racial back grounds and I think that undermines the original purpose of many immigrats choice to come to this great land.

When sticking to the PC laws currently in place I know of about 10 people that can truly claim to be African - American that are as lily white as can be. Born and raised in South Africa and first gen emmigrants. The juxtoposition is that they get evil looks when they make that claim. My cousin sent out college apps. claiming to both white and African - American. 0 replies as caucasian and 5 as A -A. So, What can we call ourselves?

If done correctly AMERICANS!!!

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

April 16, 2007, 10:29 AM

I have to agree with Dragulla on this on. While I feel that it is important to have pride in your ethnicity. I also feel that at this point we are all Americans. I am very proud of my Irish and German heritage but when it is all said an done I Was born here in the USA so that make me an American. I feel that when we call people African American all we are doing is further segregating our country. I am not referred to as an Irish American I am just called the short white guy. I do not take offence to that in any way because it is the truth. That same holds true for Greek Americans and Polish American and Hispanic Americans. If you are a citizen of the USA than you are an American. All of the laws that give me the freedoms give you the same. We are no different from one another we both pay taxes and we both work for a living. You might have a better tan than me but thats no different than me having darker hair than somebody else. I believe that there are some people in the world that will always fight for this country to be segregated so that they can have something to argue for. It is truly unfortunate that our society has come to a point that we feel we must label everybody so that they do not get offended. When true labeling is on of the most offensive thing that anybody could do to another person.

Thats My .02

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)
Spike

April 16, 2007, 10:54 AM

I think Guzz's point was that they were NOT Americans at all. They are calling doods that are British Americans. They were more worried about being PC than being correct in where they were.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#8)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 16, 2007, 11:22 AM

I think calling Brits African-Americans demonstrates how little meaning the term "African-American" actually has anymore. Obviously, those pushing to better the plight of dark-skinned Americans of African descent meant well when they decided to get rid of the term "Black" and any negative connotations it carried at the time. They wanted EVERYONE to use "African-American" and everyone did.

The good news is that progress was made and it is evident in our use of the pc terminology. We've become more sensitive to not using labels with negative connotations. Unfortunately we've gone so far, though, as to have forgotten the meaning of the pc terms as well. It might be time to go back to calling dark-skinned persons of African descent "Black" once again. "Brown" might be a better descriptor...

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to