DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 1,278
3 members and 1,275 guests
fxc3700, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
When you lack a substantive argument...
Unread
  (#1)
Meh

When you lack a substantive argument... - December 11, 2012, 07:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 11, 2012, 07:38 PM

what. the . fuck

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#3)
Sewing Machine Rider

December 11, 2012, 07:56 PM

Union violence just ain't what it used to be
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

December 11, 2012, 08:02 PM

a chipped tooth and a scratched forehead - yeah he was real close to death

pussy - makes for great "news" on FOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
All weather rider

December 11, 2012, 08:45 PM

I'd never heard of this guy 'till now. Looks as if he just went in there to stir the pot. Rallies are all sloganeering anyway- it's not a good place for two sides to go head to head and discuss the issues.

Last edited by phogroian; December 11, 2012 at 09:01 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

December 11, 2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

a chipped tooth and a scratched forehead - yeah he was real close to death

pussy - makes for great "news" on FOX
Unless you have been in those type mob situations, you never quite know what they may or may not turn into.

I am not trying to argue that the fight was non-existent and much a do about nothing, just showing what the tenor and attitude of what some of the union proponents are.
Unread
  (#7)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

December 11, 2012, 08:53 PM

I think unions served a useful purpose back in the day-like 50-100 yrs ago. But these days they are mostly a dinosaur except for perhaps places like Malwart.

Unions elevated safety and wages back in the day. Now they are generally just a roadblock to productivity. With OSHA and all the other govt oversights on business & industry unions seem to be best suited to keeping the barely unemployable employed.

Note... I spent a bunch of years in Graphic Arts Intl Union (GAIU) local 285 here in the DC area in the early 80's. I saw all the bullshit that the unions were responsible for. Want no part of a union again. Fucking leaches.

Unions are great at roadblocking productivity and keeping those best suited for unemployment lines employed. They have made themselves obsolete by rendering the corporations who formerly employed them inefficient and uncompetitive.

I do have to nod to unions for gains in safety and real wages back in the day. But those days of significance for unions are long past. Unions are mostly like dinosaurs now. Even the democrats don't count them as significant.

Unions are victims of greed and corruption. Like our politicians and the corporate elites.
Unread
  (#8)
Eddie would go ...

December 11, 2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Unless you have been in those type mob situations, you never quite know what they may or may not turn into.

I am not trying to argue that the fight was non-existent and much a do about nothing, just showing what the tenor and attitude of what some of the union proponents are.
Oh no argument there

Not a fan of unions at all nor the whole protest nor the 'reporter'

none of them deserve much attention if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#9)
No more 1050 :(

December 11, 2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
I think unions served a useful purpose back in the day-like 50-100 yrs ago. But these days they are mostly a dinosaur except for perhaps places like Malwart.

Unions elevated safety and wages back in the day. Now they are generally just a roadblock to productivity. With OSHA and all the other govt oversights on business & industry unions seem to be best suited to keeping the barely unemployable employed.

Note... I spent a bunch of years in Graphic Arts Intl Union (GAIU) local 285 here in the DC area in the early 80's. I saw all the bullshit that the unions were responsible for. Want no part of a union again. Fucking leaches.

Unions are great at roadblocking productivity and keeping those best suited for unemployment lines employed. They have made themselves obsolete by rendering the corporations who formerly employed them inefficient and uncompetitive.

I do have to nod to unions for gains in safety and real wages back in the day. But those days of significance for unions are long past. Unions are mostly like dinosaurs now. Even the democrats don't count them as significant.

Unions are victims of greed and corruption. Like our politicians and the corporate elites.
You have to ask yourself.. who is the lesser of the evils? Yes, Unions have their fair share of problems, yes they have a lot of greed at the top just like any organization. But do you really think they don't have a purpose anymore? I think Union membership will continue to drop for a while, but then it will rise again... because it will always be needed. Because no, the Union bosses are not your friends, but they are more on your side than the corporate execs are. And shit, you need SOMEONE in your corner. The gubmint? Lulz. Let me know when OSHA regulations start getting enforced.

You like having Sat & Sun off? Thank the Unions. More and more, companies are asking/ expecting workers to work 6-7 days a week. People are eventually going to get tired of this shit and look to the Unions for protection.

You like having benefits? Thank the Unions. More and more, companies are charging more out of your paycheck and covering less. Blame this on the healthcare system/ insurance companies, sure... but corporations/ execs are playing their part as well.

You like getting pay raises? More and more, execs are paying themselves more while stifling pay to their workers and even performing layoffs in the guise of "cost savings & restructuring"... all the while, paying themselves more.

The Golden Era of the Worker is behind us, the corporations are again taking the upper hand. Partly because the Union bosses pissed in their own cornflakes.

Meh, that's enough for now.
Unread
  (#10)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

December 11, 2012, 10:16 PM

Its a fine line. You can make generalizations about unions, corporate elites, and govt politicians. There will always be exceptions. I just think that union significance will continue to decrease. At some point that may change as we "race to the bottom".

I'll never side w/ the corporate elites, esp the bankers and career politicians. I've spilled a lot of bile on this forum against them. I just think unions have for the most part, done themselves in.

I think folks in Detroit have to ask themselves.... if unions are so good for MI why is it the festering hell hole it is now? And I understand there is the corporate irresponsibility aspect of it too. They both go hand in hand. Unions/Mgmnt can help each side prosper or do both sides in. Seems to me the later has been the end result - for both sides.
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

December 11, 2012, 10:56 PM

I know that Boost and I have had lively discussion about this before, I think the era and necessity of the union has long since passed.

Look at the differences in expense of manufacturer of a car built by a UAW worker and a foreign car manufacturer.

Look at what campaigns unions donate to.

The working conditions of this era are not even in the same zip code as those when unions were really advocating and creating safer/fairer working conditions.
Unread
  (#12)
Derpentine Dealer

December 12, 2012, 06:24 AM

Looks like a bunch of disaffected fat, bearded, loud-mouthed white guys who resigned from the challenge of living productive lives (and not overeating) at least a decade ago.

Unions were relevant when workers' rights were non-existent and consistently abused. For some time now, however, the pendulum has resided on the other end in many industries. As a result, the workers got lazy. I would even go so far as to suggest that unions drove our manufacturing to become so inefficient that it HAD to go overseas. The dissolution of labor unions is long overdue.

That said, this does not mean that they can never come back. If a problem arises, then bring back the labor unions. This kind of thinking where every change is resisted no matte what the evidence suggests is destructive--we really need to get over this desire to carver everything in stone and let it dominate us for centuries. Do what is necessary under the current conditions, and let go of the tiresome, hindering past. An inability to adapt and be productive will send this country further down the tubes.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#13)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 12, 2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
There will be blood, there will be repercussions," State Democratic Rep. Douglas Geiss, speaking on the House floor on Tuesday, warned ahead of the votes.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

December 12, 2012, 08:57 AM

I am all in favor of Unions since this is a "free" country and we have the right to form a collective group. However, I am 150% against laws that are specifically designed to protect unions. Just like I'm against laws specifically designed to protect corporations. IMO people should have the right to strike and cripple a company, but companies should also have the right to fire all those workers and cripple themselves.

There was a case in another state where a new company opened up a factory or something and hired people as non-union only. A local union SUED that they have the right to represent workers in that area and tried to force the company to hire union-only workers. WTF?!

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 12, 2012, 09:06 AM

That's about my feelings on it. Unions CAN be extremely helpful.

When people are FORCED to join one in order to get a job, and forced to pay dues, the union loses the incentive to do the right thing.

Near as I can tell, this legislation merely makes it unlawful for union membership and dues to be a required condition of taking a job.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!