DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 574
3 members and 571 guests
Sal_the_man, scarab, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Where to put in a boat?
Unread
  (#1)
Site Owner
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,971
Join Date: March 9, 2004
Location: CashBurn, VA
Where to put in a boat? - March 7, 2010, 01:24 PM

So I'm thinking of buying a used boat for the summer to chillax on/wakeboard from. Where are some places to put in that would be good for wakeboarding? Also being able to get up to the waterfront would be awesome too.

Also, anyone have some cool spots that they would recommend, like on water restaurants, etc?

Word!


(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.



Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
I'm baaaaaack
 
Shooter's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
Join Date: May 24, 2008
Location: Centreville VA
March 7, 2010, 01:30 PM

I'm not sure about how the wake boarding is there, but you can launch in Occuquan. There are a few places to eat and drink around there that you can dock at. Tims and I think its called Oasis. I hope this helped you a little.

Oh yeah G'town isnt too far away from there either.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here
 
Heist's Avatar
 
Posts: 32,592
Join Date: August 25, 2008
Location: Washington, D.C.
March 7, 2010, 01:36 PM

Where you moor your boat really comes down to where you live and how much you want to spend.

I know some people that moor 2 hours away from where they live, but because it's ridiculously cheap and get great marina service.

I know some that moor 30 minutes away, but they pay out the ass for it and get just the most basic of services.

Wakeboarding is kind of weak around here. There are some shallower tributaries and minor lakes near the Chesapeake that are ideal for this kind of stuff. But good wakeboarding needs still water.



“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
March 7, 2010, 01:41 PM

Neabsco Mills road in Lorton, Occoquan... from there, Tim's Rivershore Restaurant..

Please invite me! We used to put in our 19 foot bayliner every summer and wakeboard/tube


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Site Owner
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,971
Join Date: March 9, 2004
Location: CashBurn, VA
March 7, 2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B
Neabsco Mills road in Lorton, Occoquan... from there, Tim's Rivershore Restaurant..

Please invite me! We used to put in our 19 foot bayliner every summer and wakeboard/tube
Hah funny! The one I'm looking at is a 2005 bayliner 175.

I'm not looking to leave it in the water. Just put in. I'll store it in leesburg.


(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.



Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
See the mouth and the eye
 
dv/dt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,242
Join Date: September 7, 2007
Location: Reston VA
March 7, 2010, 02:20 PM

you can launch from gravelly point at reagan national. I would say for wake boarding take that SOB to sandy point and launch it from there and float around in the Chesapeake for a weekend.


-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
March 7, 2010, 02:21 PM

Open bow or cabin? That's a good boat. You can fit 7 people on it. It's REALLY fun if you can get a couple of boats out there. Then you tie em up and eat lunch by the shore.


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
coming through..
 
tonic21's Avatar
 
Posts: 186
Join Date: May 12, 2008
Location: Soon to be Cali
March 7, 2010, 02:29 PM

dang its about that time huh, gotta pick between riding or goin out on the Boat, sucks im leaving in July though..

and i 2nd Tims, they've got good food, among other things

and there is ALWAYS tons of boater over at belmont bay.. it gets pretty pcaked in the summer.. ALOT OF FUN to be had there


02 R6= Stolen and recoverd.

Last edited by tonic21; March 7, 2010 at 02:33 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Site Owner
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,971
Join Date: March 9, 2004
Location: CashBurn, VA
March 7, 2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B
Open bow or cabin? That's a good boat. You can fit 7 people on it. It's REALLY fun if you can get a couple of boats out there. Then you tie em up and eat lunch by the shore.
Open bow. Looks like great condition. You've got a spot on it since it's now your job to teach me how to drive/maintain that bitch!


(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.



Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Ballaugh Bridge
 
CrazyMotorcycleGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,876
Join Date: September 29, 2002
Location: VA
March 7, 2010, 03:15 PM

You need to make sure you get a test ride/drive before you buy. Need to see how the motor performs, etc. You don't want to buy a hole in the water to throw your money in.


'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ
 
Posts: 1,873
Join Date: May 19, 2005
Location: VA
March 7, 2010, 03:16 PM

I was born a boater.
I use to own a Regal 19ft and would water ski, wake board 5 days out of the week until beginning of Nov. Hard to get others to come out when it's that cold.
These are the places I would launch from:
Leesylvania state park off rt1 near Dumfries, va
Pohick state park off rt1 and near Occoquan, va

Leesylvania is a dream compare to Pohick.

There is a dealership right off rt1 in woodbridge, va. If you buy your boat there you can store in indoors and launch it from there.

Belmont Bay is an awesome spot. Guston Cove is usually too busy with traffic and most of it is a no wake zone. The bay in front of General Smallwood State Park Maryland is also a nice spot and also a local hang out. Just don't create a wake up towards the front of the bay and piss off the folks hanging out. Fairview beach is also a huge hang out with a crab joint on land, water is deeper in that area but the under tow and current is strong away from the beach.
.
Not sure how experienced you are as a boater but there is lots to know. Keep in mind the average depth of most areas around Occoquan bay is 2-3ft at normal tide high. Low tide you'll be dragging the drive on some areas trying to get a heavy boarder up.

Other than that you will have to head towards Annapolis area.

I like Leesylvania as it is centrally located. you can go south towards better waters and hang out spots and north into Wash DC to dock at that restuarant near the Kennedy Center???. There is also Occoquan which has a waterside restuarant you can dock at and eat. Also that a few marinas with dealerships you can dock at to pick up another Aluminum prop. Carry spares you gonna need it.

Keep in mind the Potomac is nothing like Miama waters or Long Island waters.
It's dirty as hell, logs..hell more like trees, rocks, you name at very shallow depths.
I also won't tell you what kind of fish are in there. I never had a problem but have gotten nudged a few times. You'll be fine.

Last edited by Trireme; March 7, 2010 at 03:18 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
Site Owner
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,971
Join Date: March 9, 2004
Location: CashBurn, VA
March 7, 2010, 03:23 PM

nice! Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming!


(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.



Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
I'm baaaaaack
 
Shooter's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
Join Date: May 24, 2008
Location: Centreville VA
March 7, 2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trireme View Post
I was born a boater.
I use to own a Regal 19ft and would water ski, wake board 5 days out of the week until beginning of Nov. Hard to get others to come out when it's that cold.
These are the places I would launch from:
Leesylvania state park off rt1 near Dumfries, va
Pohick state park off rt1 and near Occoquan, va

Leesylvania is a dream compare to Pohick.

There is a dealership right off rt1 in woodbridge, va. If you buy your boat there you can store in indoors and launch it from there.

Belmont Bay is an awesome spot. Guston Cove is usually too busy with traffic and most of it is a no wake zone. The bay in front of General Smallwood State Park Maryland is also a nice spot and also a local hang out. Just don't create a wake up towards the front of the bay and piss off the folks hanging out. Fairview beach is also a huge hang out with a crab joint on land, water is deeper in that area but the under tow and current is strong away from the beach.
.
Not sure how experienced you are as a boater but there is lots to know. Keep in mind the average depth of most areas around Occoquan bay is 2-3ft at normal tide high. Low tide you'll be dragging the drive on some areas trying to get a heavy boarder up.

Other than that you will have to head towards Annapolis area.

I like Leesylvania as it is centrally located. you can go south towards better waters and hang out spots and north into Wash DC to dock at that restuarant near the Kennedy Center???. There is also Occoquan which has a waterside restuarant you can dock at and eat. Also that a few marinas with dealerships you can dock at to pick up another Aluminum prop. Carry spares you gonna need it.

Keep in mind the Potomac is nothing like Miama waters or Long Island waters.
It's dirty as hell, logs..hell more like trees, rocks, you name at very shallow depths.
I also won't tell you what kind of fish are in there. I never had a problem but have gotten nudged a few times. You'll be fine.
I'm curious about these nudging fish you speak of.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
Ballaugh Bridge
 
CrazyMotorcycleGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,876
Join Date: September 29, 2002
Location: VA
March 7, 2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter600RR View Post
I'm curious about these nudging fish you speak of.
Just some catfish. Yes this is really from the Potomac and I could post a bunch more like this.



'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
I'm baaaaaack
 
Shooter's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
Join Date: May 24, 2008
Location: Centreville VA
March 7, 2010, 03:30 PM

Well looks like I'll be getting some chicken liver and heading to the potomac for some fishing soon!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.