DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
1 members and 563 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

September 10, 2004, 08:32 AM

Since tommorow is 9-11 I thought we could all share our experiences about this infamous day:

When the first tower was struck, I was working with a IT company in Berlin Germany when we got a call from our office in New York. The woman there was telling us a plane just flew into the WTC. At first, our reaction was it was a terrible accident. Then she calls back and says a second plane hit, and this is all before any news broadcast, and that they need to evacuate the building. Our office in NY was 4 blocks from the WTC. I called my folks here in VA after hearing this and told them. They still hadnt heard anything yet until I told them to turn on the news. After this, I was not able to work that day and had to go home to be with my 8 month pregent girlfriend (future wife). For me, it's painful thinking we lost so many innocent people, however, when my son was born a month later, Oct 7 2001 to be exact, it made up for alot. I was happy to be able to bring a new life into this world, especially then when it was a very grim time, and put a smile on my face.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

September 10, 2004, 08:40 AM

i was a contractor for a telecommunications company, and was sitting in my cube when the boss came out and said that a plane had hit... i thought he was lying.

when the first tower came down i was devastated...and i too, went home from work to sit and stare at the boob-tube.

my parents had just flown to Australia Sept 9, for a month tour... i called them (in the middle of the night for them) to tell them the news. it was a good thing that they had already planned on staying for a while, cuz there was no way for them to get back right away

i will never forget, that's for sure

Tara
98 gsxr 750 - track
08 gsxr 750 - street
I must not fear ~ Fear is the mind killer
I will face my fear ~ I will let it pass through me
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing....
only I will remain
Unread
  (#3)
Happiness Consultant

September 10, 2004, 08:54 AM

at work. at the time my office was in NW DC near the Israeli Embassy.

I had just finished figuring out a problem when one of my coworkers was frantically running around with a cell phone in his ear. He started talking about the Pentagon and the Towers. So I quickly tried to get to CNN, MSNBC, ABCNEWS...etc etc. websites. Couldnt get to them.

the office building houses our training rooms, so there was one TV in there. That room filled up quickly. I and many others watched as the second plane crashed. At that point a lot of the women started crying and slowly people started filing out as we were given the rest of the day off and DC was basically evacuating.

I waited for the traffic to die down and got home later that day. A friend of mine called and had me come over for dinner. At dinner we found out that one of my buddy's father had been at the Pentagon that day and they hadn't heard from him. By the end of that week, I was attending his funeral.

anyway. thats where I was.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

September 10, 2004, 10:35 AM

I was at home. I watched it all go down on TV. Called my mom first to see if she had heard then my dad next since he works in DC and couldn't get a hold of him. Found out everyone was using their cell phones to call each other and the networks were down because of high usage. Definately a day that won't be forgotten.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#5)
ATTN INVESTORS!

September 10, 2004, 11:15 AM

i was in San Francisco. I had been laid off for about 5 months and my wife left a message at home saying she was coming home because of what happened. I had over-slept so I didn't know what was going on.

I turned on the tv and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Later that day they had news cameras in downtown SF asking people what they thought about it. I couldn't believe how many people said they had no feelings about it because "it happened so far away". Made me wanna bring it right to them.

..unbelievable..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#6)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

September 10, 2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoniz
Later that day they had news cameras in downtown SF asking people what they thought about it. I couldn't believe how many people said they had no feelings about it because "it happened so far away". Made me wanna bring it right to them.

..unbelievable..
I must have missed that. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I don't remember it being on the news. I was at work in Milpitas (30 minutes south of SF) and got the news just as I got to work right around 7am. I went to the company gym where the TV's were at and watched it all go down on CCN. When the second plane hit, my heart skipped a beat and it was one of those moments when you just can't believe that what you're seeing/feeling is real. Sounds cliche, but thats how I felt.

I ended up getting a call from my reserve unit and we went into 24 hour lockdown of our reserve center for about 2 weeks. That was fun. Machine gun nests on roof tops and all.

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I walked in on Steve while he was in the bathroom once, it was glorious...
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
2002 Sportster 883 (for her)
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 (second one) - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ  
Unread
  (#7)
Ballaugh Bridge

September 10, 2004, 03:38 PM

Kuwait

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#8)
Banned

September 11, 2004, 07:28 PM

i was walking around all day in gaithersburg and rockville wearing a flourescent yellow shirt that says shit happens on it in huge letters, needless to say i was given many upset and angered looks, i just chalked it up to everyone being overly conservative, then some homeless guy tried to fight me, but when he swung on me i pushed him into the street and he had to avoid 355 traffic and left me alone aside from the the incherent verbal abuse/mumbling, then i went to the river
then i went home and read, went to sleep, found out a few days later, i dont watch the news much, then i realized why i had gotten so many dirty looks, stupid fuckin people assuming everyone else is glued to the tv or in touch with common society
Unread
  (#9)
boxing twins

September 11, 2004, 08:58 PM

Home in Mtn View, CA. My girlfriend's mom called from Ohio to tell us to turn on CNN.

When I went to work the next day, the twelve Israeli developers I worked closely with understood U.S.A.'s pain. The terrorist events snapped into brutal clarity as my Israeli coworkers remarked Israel has been dealing with terrorism for nearly 50 years.

Terrorists have always been there. We just chose to ignore them. We cannot ignore them anymore.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#10)
DT
Yesssssss.....

September 12, 2004, 08:57 AM

I was actually dropping my wife off at work and coming home. We were listening to the news when I dropped her off and to be honest, I thought they were talking about something overseas.

Anyways - was headed home on GW parkway near the pentagon when I saw smoke on the horizon. Kept driving up and all I saw were flames and people running everywhere screaming. Stopped the car, got out and just stared at the side of the burning pentagon. Still had no clue what had happened.

Got shoved back into my car by a state trooper and told to move out.

Drove straight back to base and watched everybody get locked down.

Then I went home since I was on convalescent leave for my surgery.

Those next few days sucked, since my wife is Pakistani, EVERY single brown person was getting looked at and the very next day, some Pakistani lady got stabbed in our apartment complex while coming home from work. The only thing she knew was that it was two white guys, they approached her from behind, stabbed her 3 times in the back kicked her and said "stupid terrorist b^tch, that's what you deserve," and then proceeded to run away. She only had a view from the ground as they were running away. The lady was 65 years old. F^ckers didn't even bother to disguise themselves. Needless to say, I kept my wife home for a few days until everyone cooled down.

I was stunned, yes. The really funny part is is that both my twin sister and best friend worked in the same law firm and had a meeting that morning on the 43'rd floor in one of the towers. The best part is, my sister went out drinking the night before - woke up late, and because of that, she and Ryan were getting coffee when the Towers got hit. If she had woken up on time, I'd have never seen either of them again. 'bout the only time I praised my sister for her tardiness.

So yeah, EVERYONE's been affected by 911, but it hits home with me even more so due to my wife's family. Whenever we all go out, it always turns into a staredown - between some ignorant f^ck and his family wondering what he should do because a group of "terrorists" just walked into his "American restaurant" and me staring right back defending my family.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator

September 13, 2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
I was actually dropping my wife off at work and coming home. We were listening to the news when I dropped her off and to be honest, I thought they were talking about something overseas.

Anyways - was headed home on GW parkway near the pentagon when I saw smoke on the horizon. Kept driving up and all I saw were flames and people running everywhere screaming. Stopped the car, got out and just stared at the side of the burning pentagon. Still had no clue what had happened.

Got shoved back into my car by a state trooper and told to move out.

Drove straight back to base and watched everybody get locked down.

Then I went home since I was on convalescent leave for my surgery.

Those next few days sucked, since my wife is Pakistani, EVERY single brown person was getting looked at and the very next day, some Pakistani lady got stabbed in our apartment complex while coming home from work. The only thing she knew was that it was two white guys, they approached her from behind, stabbed her 3 times in the back kicked her and said "stupid terrorist b^tch, that's what you deserve," and then proceeded to run away. She only had a view from the ground as they were running away. The lady was 65 years old. F^ckers didn't even bother to disguise themselves. Needless to say, I kept my wife home for a few days until everyone cooled down.

I was stunned, yes. The really funny part is is that both my twin sister and best friend worked in the same law firm and had a meeting that morning on the 43'rd floor in one of the towers. The best part is, my sister went out drinking the night before - woke up late, and because of that, she and Ryan were getting coffee when the Towers got hit. If she had woken up on time, I'd have never seen either of them again. 'bout the only time I praised my sister for her tardiness.

So yeah, EVERYONE's been affected by 911, but it hits home with me even more so due to my wife's family. Whenever we all go out, it always turns into a staredown - between some ignorant f^ck and his family wondering what he should do because a group of "terrorists" just walked into his "American restaurant" and me staring right back defending my family.
Ignorant F*KING PEOPLE!!

I was passed out. I had worked till 4 in the morning. My phone started ringing off the hook. Then I got called into work. 12 hour days for the next couple months...

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 13, 2004, 10:01 AM

I was at my office in McLean. Had a 9:00 conference call with some investment bankers in NY to discuss my due diligence findings on an acquisition. On a pre-call with a colleague, he mentioned the first plane to me. Couldn't believe it. I dialed into the conference call and was joined by a few other people. One of them was in 30 Rockefeller Center, and had just watched the second plane hit out his window. Surprisingly, more and more people from his office dialed in to the call. They then announced in my building that they were closing and suggested everyone go home. The NY guys were all still ready to do business, but we decided to hold off and suggested that they may not want to stay where they were. Friggin crazy investment bankers.

Went downstairs to the TV in the lobby, and watched the first building fall. That's when it hit me. My brother was just beginning his first year at NYU. Tried calling him and family - noone had been able to contact him. I started to imagine the worst. New kid in NY, such a large tourist attraction. Irrational of course, but I panicked. I sent him an e-mail, since the phones were all tied up. Finally got a response. He had been in Washington Square park, and watched the towers fall. Small town kid in the big city for the first time - he was quite shaken up.

Went back downstairs and ran into an old college friend who was crying. I went to her and held her hand and asked her what was wrong. She said that her husband goes through the WTC every day and she hasn't been able to get in touch with him. I told her not to worry - both the DC and NY phones are likely jammed and told her to give me every number she could think of to his family, work, etc. and we would start calling. Told her to send an e-mail too. After about an hour, he finally got through to her to let her know he was fine.

After that - the day is pretty much a blur.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#13)
Richard Cranium

September 15, 2004, 01:49 PM

was at work.......we sent out memebers of our agency to augment police/sheriffs at the pentagon...didnt have much time to think about anything untill I got home at 8pm....
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

September 15, 2004, 05:04 PM

Was inside the 5 sided house of pain at my desk down the corridor from site of impact ! remember the day like it was just yesterday ! was watching the planes hit the towers on TV and then recieved an email from our Police force saying that the twins towers where hit and we were still on normal threat condition. a min after reading this message Boom the building jolted. and this was not normal cause this structure is solid concrete so damn a plane hit us or we were bombed! anyways locked down my center and proceded out my office and people were just standing there saying omg what just happened? not one but a bunch of them! So decided not to be cruel and leave them standing there I ordered everyone out of that way since it was part of my duties saying we have just been hit please get the hell out of the building! once my corridor was cleared I went out of the building to North Parking lot looking behind me as I was leaving the building all I saw was huge clouds of black smoke and flames raising over the roof top and boom a second explosion has gone off which was the aviation fuel tank that was over there next thing you know we were told to vacate the area asap cause another plane is heading towards us and fighter jets have been scrambled to intercept. but had to stay and get people out of there so was helping our security force get everyone out and was there for the next 72 hours straight
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#15)
Mr. Glass

September 15, 2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budah79
Was inside the 5 sided house of pain at my desk down the corridor from site of impact ! remember the day like it was just yesterday ! was watching the planes hit the towers on TV and then recieved an email from our Police force saying that the twins towers where hit and we were still on normal threat condition. a min after reading this message Boom the building jolted. and this was not normal cause this structure is solid concrete so damn a plane hit us or we were bombed! anyways locked down my center and proceded out my office and people were just standing there saying omg what just happened? not one but a bunch of them! So decided not to be cruel and leave them standing there I ordered everyone out of that way since it was part of my duties saying we have just been hit please get the hell out of the building! once my corridor was cleared I went out of the building to North Parking lot looking behind me as I was leaving the building all I saw was huge clouds of black smoke and flames raising over the roof top and boom a second explosion has gone off which was the aviation fuel tank that was over there next thing you know we were told to vacate the area asap cause another plane is heading towards us and fighter jets have been scrambled to intercept. but had to stay and get people out of there so was helping our security force get everyone out and was there for the next 72 hours straight
wow.. you are a true american hero man.. thats fuggin awesome.. good to see people w/ some leadership... props bro

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman