DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 539
4 members and 535 guests
HenryW, Sal_the_man, TonUp, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Who is Ben Shapiro? Watch
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer
 
OrangeShirtDude's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,465
Join Date: April 6, 2007
Location: "Going Bonkers"
Who is Ben Shapiro? Watch - February 26, 2016, 10:06 AM

This is for folks who haven't yet picked up on this guy. He was a violin prodigy as a child, entered UCLA at 16, became a nationally syndicated columnist at 17, published his first book at 18, and graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School at 23. Piers Morgan was no match for him; this is the interview that really blew him up.



How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Meh
 
Posts: 7,984
Join Date: October 1, 2002
February 26, 2016, 10:09 AM

He is a sharp dude. I wish his voice were a tad bit different, but his brain is sharp and his arguments are solid.

He totally owned Piers in this case. The argument was utterly destroyed in Piers.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer
 
OrangeShirtDude's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,465
Join Date: April 6, 2007
Location: "Going Bonkers"
February 26, 2016, 10:44 AM

Yeah, I know. But he's little, he's Jewish... he's working with what he's got.


How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Sewing Machine Rider
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,934
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Location: Elevation 7,442'
February 26, 2016, 10:56 AM

He makes some good points, but his final position of keeping "Assault weapons" to prevent tyranny from the US government is ridiculous. Sure, maybe "self-defense during civil unrest" I could buy, but anybody that thinks they're taking on the US military is delusional. Oh yeah, here let me take out this predator drone or an M1 Abrams with my AR! I mean you'd have to be pretty retarded to take on even the lowliest war machines in the US arsenal with an AR. I think most proponents of that argument would get a very harsh reality check on their high opinion of themselves and their combat readiness if faced by the US Military.

Don't get me wrong, I think people should be able to own guns just because they want to own guns, just like I can own a motorcycle because I like motorcycles, but the "defense from tyranny" argument is horseshit based on the dreams of emasculated men.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
February 26, 2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
He makes some good points, but his final position of keeping "Assault weapons" to prevent tyranny from the US government is ridiculous. Sure, maybe "self-defense during civil unrest" I could buy, but anybody that thinks they're taking on the US military is delusional. Oh yeah, here let me take out this predator drone or an M1 Abrams with my AR! I mean you'd have to be pretty retarded to take on even the lowliest war machines in the US arsenal with an AR. I think most proponents of that argument would get a very harsh reality check on their high opinion of themselves and their combat readiness if faced by the US Military.

Don't get me wrong, I think people should be able to own guns just because they want to own guns, just like I can own a motorcycle because I like motorcycles, but the "defense from tyranny" argument is horseshit based on the dreams of emasculated men.

Yeah, there's no way a lightly armed group of ragtag people could hold the US military at bay for years, hurting morale and resulting in eventual withdrawal...


...

...


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer
 
OrangeShirtDude's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,465
Join Date: April 6, 2007
Location: "Going Bonkers"
February 26, 2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
He makes some good points, but his final position of keeping "Assault weapons" to prevent tyranny from the US government is ridiculous. ...

Don't get me wrong, I think people should be able to own guns just because they want to own guns, just like I can own a motorcycle because I like motorcycles, but the "defense from tyranny" argument is horseshit based on the dreams of emasculated men.
I agree with you partly. The 2nd Amendment gives me the right to own guns, and that should be good enough. We really shouldn't let the debate even get to the "need" question. However, Shapiro is a constitution lawyer. He has done his research into why the 2nd Amendment was added.

The part of what you said that I do not agree with is basically the part where you repeat what Piers Morgan said in the interview. "It's ridiculous" is not an argument. Plus, you are offering a false dichotomy where it is either a full-on war of citizens against US armed forces or nothing else. I have no reason at all to believe that it would be that simple. For starters, talk to some active military personnel about this. I think you'll find it difficult getting tank commanders to drive through family homes in the suburbs of Georgia.

What's more, history has provided many examples of how a military is not to be an assumed victor on home soil because of logistics and tactics. Never underestimate the low-tech ubiquitous armed resistance and the havoc it can wreak.


How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...
 
turkishexpress's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,997
Join Date: May 3, 2008
Location: Chicagoland
February 26, 2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Yeah, there's no way a lightly armed group of ragtag people could hold the US military at bay for years, hurting morale and resulting in eventual withdrawal...


...

...
Good point. Vietnam was a prime example.


2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned


I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Meh
 
Posts: 7,984
Join Date: October 1, 2002
February 26, 2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Yeah, there's no way a lightly armed group of ragtag people could hold the US military at bay for years, hurting morale and resulting in eventual withdrawal...


...

...
His argument just got..

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Full spin ahead.
 
scarab's Avatar
 
Posts: 885
Join Date: June 20, 2004
Location: Great Frozen North
February 26, 2016, 11:47 AM

He makes some interesting points and his Twitter is entertaining. Definitely one of the more eloquent conservative voices.

His lecture this week at Calif. State University in LA was interrupted by a protester pulling the fire alarm. Dude was unfazed and continued speaking:
https://youtu.be/1q9I4IRijpU
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Meh
 
Posts: 7,984
Join Date: October 1, 2002
February 26, 2016, 11:51 AM

The fact that he irritates these folks so much, makes his stock rise in my book amazingly.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
February 26, 2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Good point. Vietnam was a prime example.
Iraq is another


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ
 
shiphteey's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,268
Join Date: August 1, 2006
February 26, 2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
I agree with you partly. The 2nd Amendment gives me the right to own guns, and that should be good enough. We really shouldn't let the debate even get to the "need" question. However, Shapiro is a constitution lawyer. He has done his research into why the 2nd Amendment was added.

The part of what you said that I do not agree with is basically the part where you repeat what Piers Morgan said in the interview. "It's ridiculous" is not an argument. Plus, you are offering a false dichotomy where it is either a full-on war of citizens against US armed forces or nothing else. I have no reason at all to believe that it would be that simple. For starters, talk to some active military personnel about this. I think you'll find it difficult getting tank commanders to drive through family homes in the suburbs of Georgia.

What's more, history has provided many examples of how a military is not to be an assumed victor on home soil because of logistics and tactics. Never underestimate the low-tech ubiquitous armed resistance and the havoc it can wreak.


Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com
ZX14: 243 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
Ninja 650: 130.7 mph
Ninja 400: 123.5 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
Full spin ahead.
 
scarab's Avatar
 
Posts: 885
Join Date: June 20, 2004
Location: Great Frozen North
February 26, 2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
The fact that he irritates these folks so much, makes his stock rise in my book amazingly.
That, and he does it right in their "safe spaces". He doesn't hide behind Twitter or a broadcast microphone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.