DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 515
1 members and 514 guests
nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Who got Microsoft 7 today?
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

Who got Microsoft 7 today? - October 22, 2009, 07:39 AM

If so tell us please:

#1 What do you think of the new features
#2 What do you see as the pros & cons
#3 What were you running before and how hard/easy was the upgrade? (They say for XP users its going to be hell)
#4 How much did you pay for it and is it worth the $120 Retail they are advertising to upgrade?
#5 Do you notice it being a lot faster & easier as promoted?
#6 Is it on your company computers or personal or both?
#7 What programs have you run with it and did you notice any glitches or changes?

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
The last urrbendah

October 22, 2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER View Post
If so tell us please:

#1 What do you think of the new features
#2 What do you see as the pros & cons
#3 What were you running before and how hard/easy was the upgrade? (They say for XP users its going to be hell)
#4 How much did you pay for it and is it worth the $120 Retail they are advertising to upgrade?
#5 Do you notice it being a lot faster & easier as promoted?
#6 Is it on your company computers or personal or both?
#7 What programs have you run with it and did you notice any glitches or changes?
1) If you are on Vista or are not an advanced user, the features will mean little to you other than the "bang & whoosh".

2) Pros - Not Vista. Faster boot time with less BS. The only issue I've ever had with 7 came in one of the earlier betas. It crashed regularly on java based websites. This was addressed by an update and did not return.

3) Upgrade is tricky if you're an XP user because you cannot upgrade directly to 7 without going to Vista first. Win98 users will remember this from back in the day when you had to go to 2000 before XP. The easiest method is to use the free advisor tool decide if your equipment is up to task. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e-advisor.aspx. Once that is complete, offload your files to a standalone and perform a clean install of the Windows 7 OS. Boom, you're done.

Vista users just upgrade but it will take a while as your files are being migrated. You may find it quicker to just offload then perform a clean install.

4) No price is too high if you're on Vista.

5) This is the second coming of Jesus as far as MS is concerned. After the giant pile of shit that is Vista, they know this OS will determine if they hold that massive home pc market share. It is well thought out and well developed, especially for an MS product.

6) It is on 2 of my laptops and I'm currently drawing up a business case to deploy it here at work. I'm sick of the two OS environment and the problems Vista is causing for one of our departments.

7) Office 2k7, FFX, IE8, Photoshop, and a ton of other stuff. No issues other than IE8 sucks but I'm forced to use it for certain sites here at work.

My .02. I'm sure the Mac koolaid drinkers who have never touched it will be posting shortly if they haven't already. My advice to them is to stick with Mac for graphics and phones.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site Owner

October 22, 2009, 07:55 AM

Have had it and been running it for a few months...

overall review:

- slower than XP
- faster than vista
- better battery consumption on laptop
- aero peek is cool (finally trying to catch up to apple)

Don't upgrade.. just do a fresh install.. backup your documents, settings, etc first. Especially if upgrading from XP.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

October 22, 2009, 08:02 AM

FWIW, I have been running build 7600 on my mac at work using bootcamp for a few months now. Works pretty well. Worked well until the WGA bullshit started. No matter, I got a key and a legit install. Overall, blatant rip of Mac OS X in terms of appearance. However, I can't really think of anything that terribly annoys me about it.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
got barrier?

October 22, 2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER View Post
If so tell us please:

#1 What do you think of the new features i like them alot but takes a little while to get used to
#2 What do you see as the pros & cons its very different from XP and people will complain, but once you spend some time on it you get better with it. Performance is really good to start but seams to slow down just a tad after about a week. Some software does not work with W7 yet. The AERO graphics are much more pleasant that XP junk and streamline things.
#3 What were you running before and how hard/easy was the upgrade? (They say for XP users its going to be hell)it was pretty darn easy...took me 30min to go from XP to W7ultimate
#4 How much did you pay for it and is it worth the $120 Retail they are advertising to upgrade? $0.00, but if you have Vista the $120 won't really be worth it, however if you purchased in the last 6 months i believe you qualify for the free upgrade to W7
#5 Do you notice it being a lot faster & easier as promoted? yes its faster than Vista and resource use is less, functionality wise its not any easier than vista, but if you come from XP the concept of libraries and some menu (control panel) changes will take a little getting used to
#6 Is it on your company computers or personal or both? both
#7 What programs have you run with it and did you notice any glitches or changes?limewire, Office 2007, firefox, RPD, attempted to install BMC Remedy 7 but it won't recognize the OS, still need to install a handful of others
^in bold

Also nice is if you are on a work environment, (Vista user's will have seen this partially) if you click what XP refers to as "Start" for Vista "Office button" and start to type your network share path into the start search it will display the contents of the folder before you open it.
ex. \\ors-csg\installs is typed into the search, the entire contents displays in the white space above.

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!

Last edited by dubplaya; October 22, 2009 at 08:09 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#6)
Ninja in Training....

October 22, 2009, 08:05 AM

Don't forget it uses the same drivers as Vista for all those wondering if their PCs will work with it

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#7)
Information Sponge

October 22, 2009, 08:05 AM

I'm still running XP on the computer I built about 5 years ago (It's still good enough for L4D on max everything!).

I'm going to be building again in the next 6 - 12 months, and I'm probably looking at Windows 7.

I'm psyched for it, I've seen it on a test machine and have been hard pressed to really find something to "shoot it down" yet.

Though I read this yesterday...

http://washingtontechnology.com/arti...ther-name.aspx

I'll end up with it, I'm sure. Though I will probably wait for a service pack to be released or something before I make the leap.
Unread
  (#8)
Mojito Anyone?

October 22, 2009, 08:15 AM

I've been using windows 7 release client since it came out.. I love it.. It's smooth, finds drivers for every computer i've put it on..(hp, dell, acer, asus..) First OS to ever do that for me. Very cool features built into it... slide windows to the right and it will pan it on that half of the screen.. same with the opposite side.. if you slide a window to the top it will maximize... just a lot of little things that make it neat.

you can upgrade from XP and its not that hard.. i've done it a few times without any problems.. it just creates a windows.old folder with all your files that you can later move to wherever you like.

Overall.. BUY IT!!.. If you have a Genuine Vista Ultimate license you can buy 7 for the upgrade price.

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#10)
TPG og

October 22, 2009, 08:46 AM

Had it for more than a month now. Pros: everything Vista is not; fast, stable, useful, well laid out, purdy (Vista was kinda purdy to though), easily customizeable without the use of 3rd part apps. Cons: layout takes some getting used to, but overall its a home run. My lappy came stock with Vista, which SUCKED, froze constantly, PITA to deal with wireless and drivers... so jumped through friggin hoops to put XP Pro on it cuz it wasn't mean to have XP and Acer gave no support for XP. Was afraid 7 wouldn't be as fast, its FASTER than Xp. Hard to believe but true. Cost:............, Worth it to buy or any other way ya can get it . Personal computer for now. It's awesome!

Startup and shutdown are faster than hell, its laid out like a normal person would think of and not uber-geek.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

October 22, 2009, 09:38 AM

Just started downloading Windows 7 Ultimate from MSDN, might actually install it today if I feel up to it.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

October 22, 2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Just call the microsoft store 800 number.

give them a .edu email address and you get the full disk of Win 7 home premium for 36.00 delivered.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#13)
Im Always Down to Ride

October 22, 2009, 11:01 AM

Im with rob...I have had it for about 2 months and just got retail from professor....Its cool. I use no where near the amount of ram and cpu that I did with vista.

All in all...its a good thing.

Definitely do fresh install.

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

October 22, 2009, 11:02 AM

anyone use the aussie free .edu email addy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#15)
#swag

October 22, 2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
anyone use the aussie free .edu email addy?
I just singed up for it, and entered it in the MS website and it took..however, my e-mail hasn't been set up yet..

Cuban was saying something that they are verifying your enrollment, and if you're not a student, they'll charge you full price? I dunno..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Closed Thread