DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
2 members and 539 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Who the hell is George Lucas...haha
Unread
  (#1)
T.R.I.T.D.H

Who the hell is George Lucas...haha - July 12, 2010, 12:45 PM

Lucas threatens wicked 'lightsaber' maker | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

So these guys create a REAL lightsaber and GL wants them to "cease and desist"

THIS IS FUNNY TO ME...

This is what happens when the Force comes down upon you.
Just a few weeks ago, there was much stimulation around a product called the Spyder III Pro Arctic Laser.
This sweet little object does bear a passing resemblance to a "Star Wars" lightsaber. In addition, it can burn your skin and permanently blind you. And that's not all. The manufacturer, Hong Kong-based Wicked Lasers, proudly tells you on its Web site that it is "the most dangerous laser ever created."
Some people have been a little concerned that this fine laser might bring the nasty side of celestial wars rather closer to Earth than is healthy.
"Star Wars" creator George Lucas seems not to be a fan. According to CNN, he and Lucasfilm sent a cease and desist letter expressing, among others, the following concern: "It is apparent from the design of the Pro Arctic Laser that it was intended to resemble the hilts of our lightsaber swords, which are protected by copyright."

The letter added that the Pro Arctic is "a highly dangerous product with the potential to cause blindness, burns, and other damage to people and/or property." It demanded that the product should be recalled.
In a press release, Wicked Lasers offered that there are several differences between a lightsaber and its own bright idea. The Pro Arctic, which costs around $200, is "1 watt peak output power while Lightsaber is 1 billion watts peak output power," said the release. The Pro Arctic "has nonadjustable infinite length beam while Lightsaber has adjustable finite length blade."
And then came the really sharp blade between the shoulders. The Pro-Arctic is "real while the lightsaber is imaginary."
Despite comparing it to an imaginary item, Wicked Lasers says it has altered the design by adding a safety lock and an additional lens that can reduce the laser's power by around 80 percent.
However, even though Wicked Lasers has not made mention of Star Wars in its marketing or on its Web site, Lucasfilm believes that because the Pro Arctic is so often being referred to in the media as a lightsaber-like device, the public is being misled.
Its cease and desist letter even asks for a specific disclaimer on Wicked's Web site that it has no affiliation with Star Wars or Lucasfilm.
I fear there may be no happy ending here. I fear, in fact, that there may be sequel.

What do you think??? Does GL's argument hold any water? I mean can he tell people they can't make a REAL weapon JUST because it was in his movie and it's copyrighted??? I mean the movie WAS FAKE...this is REAL.

Whats you thought...this could be interesting.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 12, 2010, 12:57 PM

tough one.....
Im sure it was designed to look like the LS, but at the same time it's something totaly different.

I wonder if they just slid it in a flash like smooth case if GL will still complain?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin