DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 582
3 members and 579 guests
2blueyam, beatle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Who is licensed here? and registered there?
Unread
  (#1)
i suck at the introweb

Who is licensed here? and registered there? - January 21, 2010, 10:53 AM

Ok so running into a few issues. My fiancee license and registration is expiring, but she is currently licensed and registered in the state of Delaware. After checking on the registration requirements to transfer her car over here to Maryland it is going to cost $900 (because of bs excise tax) plus an increase of car insurance by $250 a month after she transfers her car to MD. So we were contiplating on renewing her car in delware, and then getting a Maryland license. So I know of a few people on here that has thier license here and their car/bike registered in another state. so my question is who here does it? How did you do it? Have you run into any problems? Is your car/bike in your name only in the other state? How would this work?

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
opossum puncher

January 21, 2010, 10:57 AM

Friends dad does it, he owns a property in Delaware. Lives here in Va most of the time. Registering the car there you just need proof of residence there. Getting license here you just need proof of residence here.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#3)
Traction Control

January 21, 2010, 11:02 AM

My bike is registered to my brother in Colorado, and I'm the only insured rider on it(i am va licensed). When I bought it from him, the bank gave us so much shit about getting the title from them, then claimed they didn't have it. long story short, by the time we got the title from them, we just decided that he'd keep the title and technically own the bike,and ill be the rider. We can transfer it whenever we want but I figured whats the point, I'll probly be movin there soon so I'll just wait 'till then. Plus I think taxes are cheaper for him to own it there, then me to own it in fairfax

im pretty sure thats legal

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini

Last edited by Tecknojoe; January 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#4)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 21, 2010, 11:08 AM

My EZ pass is registered from Del.....
um thats all i got.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#5)
Give me the Ban Button!

January 21, 2010, 11:11 AM

This could be interesting. When I first moved here all my stuff and licence was from Illinois. I ran into all kinda problems with the cops and with Fairfax wanting there money. It got to the point that it was easier to just switch everything over. Now with that said. The reason My girl and I did not move into DC was because of the amount of money it was going to cost us toe register vehicles. I would be really interested to find out how this situation has worked out for other. I would really like to register or Vehicles out side of FFX county and take advantage of some lower taxes and insurance rates

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#6)
Mojito Anyone?

January 21, 2010, 11:16 AM

I have my license and cars registered in miami.. live here...

one bike is registered here because I bought it here..

never had any issues...

I would keep everything in Delaware as long as you can..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#7)
i suck at the introweb

January 21, 2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
My bike is registered to my brother in Colorado, and I'm the only insured rider on it(i am va licensed). When I bought it from him, the bank gave us so much shit about getting the title from them, then claimed they didn't have it. long story short, by the time we got the title from them, we just decided that he'd keep the title and technically own the bike,and ill be the rider. We can transfer it whenever we want but I figured whats the point, I'll probly be movin there soon so I'll just wait 'till then. Plus I think taxes are cheaper for him to own it there, then me to own it in fairfax

im pretty sure thats legal
ya on top of that the car is not paid off so we don't have the title and have to have the bank release the title so we can give it to maryland so they can issue a maryland title to give back to them, but of course the bank does not want to release the title til the car is paid off. it is just to much of a hassle to get everything changed over. $900 to transfer plus you have to have a maryland approved insurance which raises her insurance $250 a month.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

Unread
  (#8)
Traction Control

January 21, 2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_mike View Post
ya on top of that the car is not paid off so we don't have the title and have to have the bank release the title so we can give it to maryland so they can issue a maryland title to give back to them, but of course the bank does not want to release the title til the car is paid off. it is just to much of a hassle to get everything changed over. $900 to transfer plus you have to have a maryland approved insurance which raises her insurance $250 a month.
yea dude that sucks. keep it in DE if at all possible

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#9)
Don't call my name

January 21, 2010, 11:25 AM

Charging excise tax is common for newly purchased vehicles. I bought a car in Indiana but was living in Ohio. So upon registering in Ohio, I had to pay them their extra 1-2%.

I've always waited until the last minute to register vehicles in a new state upon moving. But, you have to keep in mind that after 30 days you are technically evading taxes. If you have to have city stickers, that can become a PITA as cops in NoVa love watching for out of state plates that are constantly there.

(Sorry, just adding a few things to keep in mind.)

Occasional rider, occasional photographer

KnockOut Photography
https://www.facebook.com/KnockOutMotoPhotos
Unread
  (#10)
i suck at the introweb

January 21, 2010, 11:26 AM

does anyone know if you can add a person onto a registration without putting them on the title for ownership?

Unread
  (#11)
Site Owner

January 21, 2010, 11:28 AM

I doubt you'll get caught but I know in VA (not sure if MD has the same thing) but if the vehicle in question is garaged here more than a month, it has to be registered in the state.

I think they do this to curb the people who register cars out of state to avoid taxes.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd

Last edited by ClemsonJeeper; January 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

January 21, 2010, 11:28 AM

It was a couple years ago since I moved to MD from VA, but some of the fees are reduced when moving into MD if registered within a certain time period (90 days???). The cost goes up afterward.
What would happen if she was in an accident a year from now?
Would she get a ticket for not having the car registered in MD?
Would insurance get dropped?
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

January 21, 2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madduc2k View Post
It was a couple years ago since I moved to MD from VA, but some of the fees are reduced when moving into MD if registered within a certain time period (90 days???). The cost goes up afterward.
What would happen if she was in an accident a year from now?
Would she get a ticket for not having the car registered in MD?
Would insurance get dropped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
I doubt you'll get caught but I know in VA (not sure if MD has the same thing) but if the vehicle in question is garaged here more than a month, it has to be registered in the state.

I think they do this to curb the people who register cars out of state to avoid taxes.
In VA if your car is here longer than 60 days, by law you must register in VA. exemption is military and college kids.

have to google md

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#14)
Popplers!

January 21, 2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
In VA if your car is here longer than 60 days, by law you must register in VA. exemption is military and college kids.

have to google md
Solution: "Enroll" at NOVA.
Unread
  (#15)
opossum puncher

January 21, 2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post

have to google md
It sounds like the fiance is maintaining a residence in Delaware also, if thats the case then they are exempt from the above law.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool