DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
3 members and 557 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Who takes VRE (Manassas line)?
Unread
  (#1)
Can't work my clutch!!
 
BigDaddyShoo's Avatar
 
Posts: 688
Join Date: July 5, 2008
Location: Centreville
Who takes VRE (Manassas line)? - August 10, 2010, 12:43 PM

So my office is relocating to Capitol Hill in a few weeks and I'm gonna start taking VRE to Union Station. For anyone that takes the Manassas Line, can you help me decide whether to park at the Manassas or Manassas Park stations?

I don't know how busy the train gets from there, but I would assume that scoring a seat would be easier from the Manassas station since it's a stop earlier.


15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
I hate Hybrid drivers
 
david636's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,780
Join Date: May 25, 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
August 10, 2010, 01:18 PM

ride your motorcycle to Cap Hill via HOV lanes on 95. Much better than the slow ass train. There are a couple of us who work on Cap Hill area.

What streets is your new office going to be on?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Snow Whore
 
dblrr900's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,180
Join Date: June 2, 2008
Location: Ashburn, VA
August 10, 2010, 01:42 PM

My neighbor rides it every day. Catches it at Manassas Airport, gets his pick of seats, and is home by 6:00 every night.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dblrr900  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Can't work my clutch!!
 
BigDaddyShoo's Avatar
 
Posts: 688
Join Date: July 5, 2008
Location: Centreville
August 10, 2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
ride your motorcycle to Cap Hill via HOV lanes on 95. Much better than the slow ass train. There are a couple of us who work on Cap Hill area.

What streets is your new office going to be on?
I'm on Second St. with an underground tunnel connecting me to Union Station. 95 is a no go for me since I'm right off of 66. Makes more sense for me to drive against traffic for 10 minutes then jump on the train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrr900 View Post
My neighbor rides it every day. Catches it at Manassas Airport, gets his pick of seats, and is home by 6:00 every night.
That's the end of the line tho, and I'm already backtracking to get to Manassas Park.


15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Open your mind
 
novaRR's Avatar
 
Posts: 298
Join Date: June 8, 2009
Location: NOLA
August 10, 2010, 02:04 PM

I used to catch the train at Burke Center (which is after both Manassas and Manassas Park when headed east) when I lived out there and never had problems getting a seat. It makes a difference what time of day you catch it, too. The later trains tend to be less crowded, FTW. Just go to the one that is the most convenient for you.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Yo quiero Trackday!
 
Posts: 1,855
Join Date: July 21, 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
August 10, 2010, 04:47 PM

I used to catch the VRE at the Manassas Station. There used to be issues with the parking, as there weren't enough, however I heard that with the new parking, everything is good now.

As far as seating, it wasn't an issue during the mornings, but on the afternoons, forget about it!

BTW - VRE is expensive!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student
 
wrenchmonk's Avatar
 
Posts: 81
Join Date: July 17, 2007
Location: PWC
August 10, 2010, 05:20 PM

I used to use the VRE every day when working in DC. Manassas Airport is probably the best since you never miss your stop by falling asleep on the way home. I'd park at Manassas station but you might need a parking permit from City Hall. The permit is free and available by fax or mail but it's quicker to do it in person. If you commute later in the morning parking could be hard to find. Best go early if you have a flex schedule. Train schedules are good during prime commuter hours but sparse mid day. Plenty of seats coming or going. If the temps are over 90 degrees expect delays because top speeds are limited when the rails bake in 90 degree plus weather. All in all it's a sucky form of transport but it's way better than alternatives. The exception being riding your motorcycle down town.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to wrenchmonk Send a message via MSN to wrenchmonk  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Can't work my clutch!!
 
BigDaddyShoo's Avatar
 
Posts: 688
Join Date: July 5, 2008
Location: Centreville
August 10, 2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knonfs View Post
I used to catch the VRE at the Manassas Station. There used to be issues with the parking, as there weren't enough, however I heard that with the new parking, everything is good now.

As far as seating, it wasn't an issue during the mornings, but on the afternoons, forget about it!

BTW - VRE is expensive!
Nice. I plan on doing an early train anyways so parking is less of an issue, I think. My only other option would be take the bus to Vienna, then the Orange Line to the Red line. (And this would only save me like $10 a month vs VRE and would take an extra half hour to boot). I'm thinking I'd rather just drive to your 'hood, park, then ride one train and not deal with buses, and a metro transfer.

You ain't lying about the price tho. $230 for a monthly pass.
Good news is that my work subsidizes 80 bucks a month for mass transit so that eases the sting a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmonk View Post
I used to use the VRE every day when working in DC. Manassas Airport is probably the best since you never miss your stop by falling asleep on the way home. I'd park at Manassas station but you might need a parking permit from City Hall. The permit is free and available by fax or mail but it's quicker to do it in person. If you commute later in the morning parking could be hard to find. Best go early if you have a flex schedule. Train schedules are good during prime commuter hours but sparse mid day. Plenty of seats coming or going. If the temps are over 90 degrees expect delays because top speeds are limited when the rails bake in 90 degree plus weather. All in all it's a sucky form of transport but it's way better than alternatives. The exception being riding your motorcycle down town.
That's good info. I appreciate it.



15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
isle of man
 
5150CLUB99's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,701
Join Date: December 6, 2006
Location: where else
August 12, 2010, 12:08 AM

i get sick on trains
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Knee Draggin!
 
Posts: 533
Join Date: June 10, 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
August 12, 2010, 07:04 AM

I used to take it daily from manassas airport. I thought you needed parking passes for old town manassas station. At least the ticket I got when I parked there once told me this, but it may have changed. You need to show you live in the town limits.

I'd just go to manassas park. As everyone says, its the evening trains and weather stuff (wet leaves on track will kill speed for example) that can make VRE suck ass. At least you can zone out and every once in a while a hottie is about.


-Quentin
-Aprilia rsv4, street
-Yamaha R6, track project
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.