DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
1 members and 550 guests
nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Who's your American HERO?
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

Who's your American HERO? - October 7, 2006, 12:16 PM

One of the girls at my work has a college assignment to interview a diversified group of people and find out who they feel was a "TRUE American Hero". I instantly thought how fun it could be to get the opinions of the peeps from this site on the subject. You guys have some of the most varied opinions on this country and it's people than any other group I know. So let's to hear what you have to say. It doesn't have to be long. Just a short reason as to why that person is a True American Hero to you.

This is a serious assignment for her and she really is trying to get a good grade, so I want to set some ground rules.

1) There is no wrong answer. What you feel is what you feel.
2) Please don't come on and comment or bash somebody for who they say thier hero is.
3) It needs to be A Person, not a group I.E. NYPD after 911. A person you feel has had a heroic effect on America. It can be anybody. Not just politicians, actors, activists, etc. Anybody!
4) I would appreciate if the usual postwhore, debaters would not trash this thread, and if the moderators would help keeping it in check. Thanks!

__________________________________________________ ___________

My American Hero is Ronald Reagan. I am not sure I can completely explain it, but I grew up in the Reagan era and he was my Commander in Chief when I was in the Marine Corps. He just made you proud to be an American. We were a proud nation with a strong leader! It was a different time then. It was OK to fly the flag and say the Pledge of Allegience in public. People didn't necessarily agree with all his policies, but they Respected the man. Even Democrats that argued all day with him, would later admit that they had the utmost respect for him as a man. World leaders even stood up and took notice at what he was. The cold war was in full steam. Missles were aimed at different countries, manned by men in bunkers 24 hours a day as the Communist threat was a true reality. President Reagan was determined to break up Communism and make the world a safer place. I give him credit, perhaps not all, but a good bit of it for accomplishing just that. I remember a world with Bomb shelters in peoples back yards.

He had a quick wit and humor that I don't think has ever been matched. He said whatever came to mind. It was real Ronald Reagan. Even the day he was shot, he had the wit about him to tell Mrs. Reagan that he had forgot to duck. He spoke his mind like nobody in modern history...and people listened.

Ronald Reagan is one of the only people I can remember that was bigger than life. When he walked into a room everybody knew it. When a Presidential speech was to be televised, every station carried it, no matter what time day or night, and we all watched it with interest. They played Hail to the Chief when he walked in. It was just very powerful. He spoke his mind and you believed what he had to say.

I remember the day he died. I was stunned at how many people world wide grieved for him. Lined the streets to pay last respects. No special party affliation, or group. It was everybody from all around. Then when Nancy Reagan touched his coffin and wouldn't leave his side until being forced to by her children, I swear my heart stopped for a second. I honestly don't remember a moment in my lifetime that compared to that.I realized that after all their years together, in a world where marriage is often looked upon as a thing and not a commitment, she had just lost her TRUE American Hero Too!

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?

Last edited by GUZZ; October 7, 2006 at 12:21 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 7, 2006, 06:45 PM

Hmm. I think Guzzy and Bambam are my heroes right now. In spite of their Western Virginia ways, they both accept me and my city silliness. They've both gone out of their ways to help me when I was having bike trouble...

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Ballaugh Bridge

October 7, 2006, 07:17 PM

My grandfather. 18-years old and voluntary enlisted in the US Army Air Corps. Not until 5 years later when the war was over did he return home for the first time. And they say our military is stretched thin today? There were no morale trips home back then. There was no living with 1st-world luxuries in combat like today. When men were men and politicians had the balls to fight a war the way it should be. Why do think Tom Brokaw wrote his book "The Greatest Generation" about this generation?

And even today at 84-years old and retired, my grandfather still works 5-days a week as a park ranger, even doing manual labor and construction with his bare hands. He even built the house he and my grandmother still live in and my mom grew up in. He has every bit of his mind and can tell me war stories just like it was yesterday. I got to visit him in Maine just last weekend.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#4)
Former Rock Star

October 7, 2006, 09:25 PM

Ronald Reagan
I had the pleasure of meeting him on a number of occassions because of my
job. I first was introduced to him in 1985 working on his inaugural and that and
each time after shaking his hand he was engaging and it felt like talking to
someones Grandfather. As Guz said political party affiliation really didn't matter
he seemed to be loved and respected by everyone. Sad day for America when he passed
away, but I was truly relieved and happy for him to be able to leave the body behind
that had failed . It saddened me whenever I heard jokes about him in his declining
years. Who knows what the Soviets may have done had we not had such a strong man
and patriot watching our backs.

"there can't be 2 number 1's, that'd be 11!"
~Eric
(The Irish Guy) R.I.P
Unread
  (#5)
Resident Rodent

October 8, 2006, 07:17 AM

Jimmy Stewart; Colin Powell; Everybody's Mother.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#6)
BE ENCOURAGED!

October 9, 2006, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the answers so far Kat...Yours brought a tear to my eye.

May I have some more please? It's a big assignment! Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

October 9, 2006, 08:21 AM

"I have sworn on the alter of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny against the mind of man" -Thomas Jefferson

I think Jefferson was the greatest american ever. The brillance that was put into our constitution stands the test of time. Jefferson was the author of the declaration of independence.....enough said.

Also, an incredible architect, scholar etc..

I did a quick search and here is a good link of some of the quotes and brilliance that came out of Jeffersons mind.

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/jeffer...s/jeffcont.htm

2006 Black ZX-10
Unread
  (#8)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

October 9, 2006, 08:48 AM

Do I have to choose just one? That's a toughy, a couple of the founding fathers are definitely worth mentioning - one of them being the basis of my political beliefs... eh.. so many people to chose from with all of our military activity over the last century.. I'll just play it safe..

Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters, Retired, U.S. Army. From what I've read about him, he did everything he could to be the best leader possible during the second World War. And of all of the things he did while active in the military, it's the thing he did after that makes me smile - bought a farm in Hershey, Pennsylvania, and settled down to lead a quiet life.
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

October 9, 2006, 08:55 AM

My Grandfather - 17th Airborne - Battle of the Bulge - hardest working man I've ever known - raised 5 wonderful girls - only within the last few years at the prodding of his daughters has he begun to recount the stories of his time in combat, and it is mind boggling. Doctor recently asked him when he broke his ankles. He never knew he had. Adrenaline and tight boots perhaps, I don't know, but he is my hero.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
Meh

October 9, 2006, 10:29 AM

Reagan is certainly up there. Most of the men from the WW2 generation are also up there. We were a different nation back then and there is no way in He-double hockey stick, that we could handle that same struggle today.
Unread
  (#11)
God of the Gaps

October 9, 2006, 10:53 AM

Ron Jeremy. Ugliest man alive, and yet he gets hot tail on a daily basis. Has the women just throwing themselves at him. He's living the American dream.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
DT
Yesssssss.....

October 9, 2006, 11:44 AM

Both Grandfather's:

Mom's Dad joined the Infantry at 17 and went to fight in WWII. Made it to E-6, received a field commission and retired a two star serving in Korea and Vietnam as well. Never complained about anything in life and has stories that would blow your mind. He's buried in ANC and Delta Company (back in 1994) the company I was assigned to performed his funeral. A great man.

My father's Dad joined the Corps at 17 after leaving an abusive father. Spent 13 years in the equivalent of "Force Recon" back in the day to include 3 voluntary tours in Vietnam and one tour in Korea. After that, was recruited to Army Counter-Intelligence and after a few years on the CIA pheonix teams did 12 years in the D.C. police. He's in his late seventies - strong as an ox and still smokes 2 packs a day. Man has stories that would chill your blood and most of it he obviously won't tell.

SVbadguy is correct - those were hard men in hard times - no internet, no leave and no relief from the horrors of every day.

Those are my American heroes. I spend every day remembering their and their friend's and brother's sacrifices to give me and my family what we have today.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by DT; October 9, 2006 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: cause I can't spell.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#13)
BE ENCOURAGED!

October 10, 2006, 06:18 AM

These are some GREAT responses. I appreciate it!

May I have some more please? Ladies? She needs a diversified group for this assignment. I know some of you have some AWESOME answers!

Unread
  (#14)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 10, 2006, 06:58 AM

Not really, Guzz. My heroes (in general) are Thomas Jefferson, Carl Sagan, and Simon & Garfunkel (together. Can't separate them or they suck). The rest of my heroes aren't American. They're British rock 'n' rollers.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#15)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 11, 2006, 05:47 AM

THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH EVERYDAY. THEY RISK THEIR LIVES EVERYDAY TO FIGHT CRIME. THEY ARE MY FRIENDS WHO WOULD GIVE THEIR LIVES FOR YOU AND ME AND ASK NOTHING IN RETURN. I HAVE SEEN THEIR HEROISM IN THE WORST OF TIMES AND WONDER IF THIS JOB IS WORTH THE LIVES OF MY FRIENDS. I ASK THEM IF ITS WORTH IT AND EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY REPLY IF WE DONT DO THIS WHO WILL. I HAVE LOST SO MANY FRIENDS IN MY LIFE DOING THIS JOB. YOU NEED A HERO ASK ANY OF MY FRIENDS WHO I WORK WITH. THEY WILL ALL SAY THEY
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to