DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 198
1 members and 197 guests
HotRod1200
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net
DCSportbikes.net

DCSportbikes.net (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/)
-   Non-Sportbike Chat (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f41/)
-   -   Why all the Hate on Fairfax County? (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f41/why-all-hate-fairfax-county-77645/)

morsetaper2 October 25, 2012 08:23 AM

Why all the Hate on Fairfax County?

I have lived in MD all my life. Spent 1st 12 years of my life in Allegheny County, MD (Cumberland). Then 10 years in PG County (Bowie), and the last 30 years in Montgomery County (Bethesda & Gaithersburg).

MoCo has a lot going for it but over the last 10 yrs it seems to have less & less going for it. Same deal w/ MD. Ever since Martin O'Malley became governor the state has accelerated it's downhill slide. Origianally a moderate state tending now to ultra-liberal. As a consequence the state is loosing jobs to VA and increasing taxes on citizens anyway they can. Bag tax, beer tax, property taxes, speed cameras, & etc. And MoCo is now talking of addtl gas taxes.

Bought same 6-pack of beer in VA & MD one week apart. DFH Snake Dog. About $12 out the door in Gaithersburg. About $8 out the door here in Reston as an example. MD & MoCo are creeping taxes into everything. And businesses have noticed and are leaving MD.

My job is in Herndon, right on the edge of FFX county and am planning to relocate to close by in VA. I see FFX county as sort of like MoCo, but don't really know having never lived there. I suppose I could relocate to Loudoun County.

So why all the hate on FFX county? And if you had a choice, would you avoid FFX county altogether and just move into Loudoun given the scenario I outlined?

Want to hear pros & cons of both FFX & Loudoun Counties.

Thanks.

lqdgrphcs October 25, 2012 08:38 AM

I can only speak for me but I like living in Fairfax. Plenty of places to eat, hang out, pretty convenient to get to most things, good proximity to metro for those times you want to Metro into DC. The biggest issue is having to use 66.....and if you know the right back roads you can avoid large parts of the traffic that clog up 66. Working in Reston you should be good. The commute is easy from Fairfax.

I think the biggest gripe stems from the fact that Fairfax cops are quick to hand out a ticket. Even that does not have to be as big an issue if you come at them the right way. I got popped the other day (first ticket in 4 years) for some stupid shit. Cop could have given me three tickets but I own up to doing what I did and he knocked the charge down and only wrote me up for one thing. Was I happy about it, no, but I did it so I am not going to bitch about getting busted.

One thing to keep in mind, Fairfax City vs. Fairfax County. There is a difference. Know which one your moving into.

b00st October 25, 2012 08:44 AM

If you didn't like California-style liberalism, you shouldn't have moved to it's capital - MoCo!

morsetaper2 October 25, 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b00st (Post 1295452)
If you didn't like California-style liberalism, you shouldn't have moved to it's capital - MoCo!

It wasn't like that when I moved there in 1979. Go back & re- read my post.

ReasonableDoubt October 25, 2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lqdgrphcs (Post 1295450)
I can only speak for me but I like living in Fairfax. Plenty of places to eat, hang out, pretty convenient to get to most things, good proximity to metro for those times you want to Metro into DC. The biggest issue is having to use 66.....and if you know the right back roads you can avoid large parts of the traffic that clog up 66. Working in Reston you should be good. The commute is easy from Fairfax.

I think the biggest gripe stems from the fact that Fairfax cops are quick to hand out a ticket.

Agreed.

jrswanson1 October 25, 2012 08:50 AM

I live in Prince William, I work in Fairfax. The car tax is cheaper in PWC than either Loudoun or Fairfax. The difference in income tax between MD and VA makes up the diff as far as I'm concerned. I'd never live in Maryland, I like my CCW too much. With that said, the commute from Ashburn to Reston isn't bad, I used to do that before I moved to Woodbridge.

lemond October 25, 2012 08:50 AM

b00st, morsetaper2 was right about moco going about it the wrong way even since O'Malley took the governor seat at MD. I grew up in moco during the 90's and it was great. now it's just a constant tax tax tax/

onel0wcubn October 25, 2012 09:13 AM

I've lived in Fairfax for the last 7 years and can't honestly complain about anything other than what was already stated above.. That being said, you mature quickly behind the wheel around these parts..

Food, entertainment, grocery stores are everywhere..

Traffic is ok for the most part.. anything heading in the WEST direction after 3:30 ish is garbage.. don't do it.. 50, 29, 66...

Rail October 25, 2012 10:10 AM

Most of the FFX hate is just because of the heavy traffic policing.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/gallery/...CPD_HATERS.jpg

Nothing in Fairfax was ever meant to handle the amount of traffic it sees - Loudon exploded in the last couple decades. So traffic always sucks in Fairfax. It will be worse than what you're used to in MoCo, I could practically drive up Connecticut or Rockville Pike with my eyes closed outside of rush hour. Loudon is in easy reach of Herndon and is closer to the sticks... probably more house and land for the money. that's my impression anyways. If you're looking for MoCo-like living minus this O'Malley fellow though, Fairfax is it.

spud October 25, 2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail (Post 1295484)
Most of the FFX hate is just because of the heavy traffic policing.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/gallery/...CPD_HATERS.jpg

Nothing in Fairfax was ever meant to handle the amount of traffic it sees - Loudon exploded in the last couple decades. So traffic always sucks in Fairfax. It will be worse than what you're used to in MoCo, I could practically drive up Connecticut or Rockville Pike with my eyes closed outside of rush hour. Loudon is in easy reach of Herndon and is closer to the sticks... probably more house and land for the money. that's my impression anyways. If you're looking for MoCo-like living minus this O'Malley fellow though, Fairfax is it.

FYI that bmw has been retired as it was costing too much to repair.. the convertible top was sagging and it turned ridiculous.

They deadlined it 2 days before i was supposed to drive it to an event.. lol

b00st October 25, 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsetaper2 (Post 1295453)
It wasn't like that when I moved there in 1979. Go back & re- read my post.

Ah...didn't know it actually got worse. I was under the impression that with the exception of Poolesville and Damascus, MoCo has been a bastion of bleeding heart liberalism.

We got plenty of room in Fredneck county.

Nick October 25, 2012 12:37 PM

I've lived in Ffx for around 4 years now. I work in Chantilly, so it makes sense. I love this area.

ceilingcat October 25, 2012 12:43 PM

FFC is better than DC, which is where I lived before. Only bad things are:

Cops are a little on the crazy side to pull you over for stupid shit

Everyone knows the traffic is shit, and they (government) only talk about what to do and never actually do anything consctuctive but propose more fucking bus lanes and argue about how much the silver line is costing.

Seems like everything around 95/395/495 is constantly under construction (and it is) with no end in sight

HOV on 66 is ignored, HOV on 395 is full of hybrids

Freshly paved roads are about as flat as a washboard and every other road is loaded with potholes, divots, tar patches, and ruts.

QuentinR October 25, 2012 12:54 PM

Stick with ffx for its centrality, if you can happily afford it. Lived there 20 yrs.

vonstallin October 25, 2012 01:38 PM

i love DC.