DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 492
1 members and 491 guests
GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Why all the Hate on Fairfax County?
Unread
  (#1)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

Why all the Hate on Fairfax County? - October 25, 2012, 08:23 AM

I have lived in MD all my life. Spent 1st 12 years of my life in Allegheny County, MD (Cumberland). Then 10 years in PG County (Bowie), and the last 30 years in Montgomery County (Bethesda & Gaithersburg).

MoCo has a lot going for it but over the last 10 yrs it seems to have less & less going for it. Same deal w/ MD. Ever since Martin O'Malley became governor the state has accelerated it's downhill slide. Origianally a moderate state tending now to ultra-liberal. As a consequence the state is loosing jobs to VA and increasing taxes on citizens anyway they can. Bag tax, beer tax, property taxes, speed cameras, & etc. And MoCo is now talking of addtl gas taxes.

Bought same 6-pack of beer in VA & MD one week apart. DFH Snake Dog. About $12 out the door in Gaithersburg. About $8 out the door here in Reston as an example. MD & MoCo are creeping taxes into everything. And businesses have noticed and are leaving MD.

My job is in Herndon, right on the edge of FFX county and am planning to relocate to close by in VA. I see FFX county as sort of like MoCo, but don't really know having never lived there. I suppose I could relocate to Loudoun County.

So why all the hate on FFX county? And if you had a choice, would you avoid FFX county altogether and just move into Loudoun given the scenario I outlined?

Want to hear pros & cons of both FFX & Loudoun Counties.

Thanks.

Last edited by morsetaper2; October 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: added speed cameras in para 2
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
October 25, 2012, 08:38 AM

I can only speak for me but I like living in Fairfax. Plenty of places to eat, hang out, pretty convenient to get to most things, good proximity to metro for those times you want to Metro into DC. The biggest issue is having to use 66.....and if you know the right back roads you can avoid large parts of the traffic that clog up 66. Working in Reston you should be good. The commute is easy from Fairfax.

I think the biggest gripe stems from the fact that Fairfax cops are quick to hand out a ticket. Even that does not have to be as big an issue if you come at them the right way. I got popped the other day (first ticket in 4 years) for some stupid shit. Cop could have given me three tickets but I own up to doing what I did and he knocked the charge down and only wrote me up for one thing. Was I happy about it, no, but I did it so I am not going to bitch about getting busted.

One thing to keep in mind, Fairfax City vs. Fairfax County. There is a difference. Know which one your moving into.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/

Last edited by lqdgrphcs; October 25, 2012 at 08:40 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG og

October 25, 2012, 08:44 AM

If you didn't like California-style liberalism, you shouldn't have moved to it's capital - MoCo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#4)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

October 25, 2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
If you didn't like California-style liberalism, you shouldn't have moved to it's capital - MoCo!
It wasn't like that when I moved there in 1979. Go back & re- read my post.
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 25, 2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdgrphcs View Post
I can only speak for me but I like living in Fairfax. Plenty of places to eat, hang out, pretty convenient to get to most things, good proximity to metro for those times you want to Metro into DC. The biggest issue is having to use 66.....and if you know the right back roads you can avoid large parts of the traffic that clog up 66. Working in Reston you should be good. The commute is easy from Fairfax.

I think the biggest gripe stems from the fact that Fairfax cops are quick to hand out a ticket.
Agreed.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

October 25, 2012, 08:50 AM

I live in Prince William, I work in Fairfax. The car tax is cheaper in PWC than either Loudoun or Fairfax. The difference in income tax between MD and VA makes up the diff as far as I'm concerned. I'd never live in Maryland, I like my CCW too much. With that said, the commute from Ashburn to Reston isn't bad, I used to do that before I moved to Woodbridge.
Unread
  (#7)
Ni Hao Ma, Bitches!

October 25, 2012, 08:50 AM

b00st, morsetaper2 was right about moco going about it the wrong way even since O'Malley took the governor seat at MD. I grew up in moco during the 90's and it was great. now it's just a constant tax tax tax/

2006 Husqvarna 510sm
2006 Honda 919
1995 Ducati MOnster 900 - sold
2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 Track Bike - sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lemond Send a message via AIM to lemond Send a message via MSN to lemond  
Unread
  (#8)
Mojito Anyone?

October 25, 2012, 09:13 AM

I've lived in Fairfax for the last 7 years and can't honestly complain about anything other than what was already stated above.. That being said, you mature quickly behind the wheel around these parts..

Food, entertainment, grocery stores are everywhere..

Traffic is ok for the most part.. anything heading in the WEST direction after 3:30 ish is garbage.. don't do it.. 50, 29, 66...

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#9)
Derpetologist

October 25, 2012, 10:10 AM

Most of the FFX hate is just because of the heavy traffic policing.

Nothing in Fairfax was ever meant to handle the amount of traffic it sees - Loudon exploded in the last couple decades. So traffic always sucks in Fairfax. It will be worse than what you're used to in MoCo, I could practically drive up Connecticut or Rockville Pike with my eyes closed outside of rush hour. Loudon is in easy reach of Herndon and is closer to the sticks... probably more house and land for the money. that's my impression anyways. If you're looking for MoCo-like living minus this O'Malley fellow though, Fairfax is it.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

October 25, 2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
Most of the FFX hate is just because of the heavy traffic policing.

Nothing in Fairfax was ever meant to handle the amount of traffic it sees - Loudon exploded in the last couple decades. So traffic always sucks in Fairfax. It will be worse than what you're used to in MoCo, I could practically drive up Connecticut or Rockville Pike with my eyes closed outside of rush hour. Loudon is in easy reach of Herndon and is closer to the sticks... probably more house and land for the money. that's my impression anyways. If you're looking for MoCo-like living minus this O'Malley fellow though, Fairfax is it.

FYI that bmw has been retired as it was costing too much to repair.. the convertible top was sagging and it turned ridiculous.

They deadlined it 2 days before i was supposed to drive it to an event.. lol

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#11)
TPG og

October 25, 2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
It wasn't like that when I moved there in 1979. Go back & re- read my post.
Ah...didn't know it actually got worse. I was under the impression that with the exception of Poolesville and Damascus, MoCo has been a bastion of bleeding heart liberalism.

We got plenty of room in Fredneck county.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#12)
#swag

October 25, 2012, 12:37 PM

I've lived in Ffx for around 4 years now. I work in Chantilly, so it makes sense. I love this area.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

October 25, 2012, 12:43 PM

FFC is better than DC, which is where I lived before. Only bad things are:

Cops are a little on the crazy side to pull you over for stupid shit

Everyone knows the traffic is shit, and they (government) only talk about what to do and never actually do anything consctuctive but propose more fucking bus lanes and argue about how much the silver line is costing.

Seems like everything around 95/395/495 is constantly under construction (and it is) with no end in sight

HOV on 66 is ignored, HOV on 395 is full of hybrids

Freshly paved roads are about as flat as a washboard and every other road is loaded with potholes, divots, tar patches, and ruts.
Unread
  (#14)
Knee Draggin!

October 25, 2012, 12:54 PM

Stick with ffx for its centrality, if you can happily afford it. Lived there 20 yrs.

-Quentin
-Aprilia rsv4, street
-Yamaha R6, track project
Unread
  (#15)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 25, 2012, 01:38 PM

i love DC.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin