DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 592
2 members and 590 guests
davidcycle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

View Poll Results: Why do you go to WV to ride?
Road 11 100.00%
Off-road 4 36.36%
Bad idea - go make me a sammich 0 0%
Good idea - I might make you a sammich 1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Why do you go to ride in WV?
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons
 
lam@dcsf's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,043
Join Date: December 17, 2011
Location: killing cages bare-handed since '13
Why do you go to ride in WV? - November 25, 2015, 11:06 AM

Do you ride more street, track or off-road? Do you go to WV for it?

If you go there to ride the WV roads would you want a place to go that was cheaper than a guest house/hotel room but had more comfort than a campground? One to two hours from home so you can get there Friday night and ride all day Saturday? Then stay and ride some more on Sunday before heading home?

Hot showers w/ towels? (not in a concrete blockhouse)
Bunks, not on the ground?
Lock up your stuff while you go ride all day?
Grill for dinner?
Fridge for beverages?
Even a washer/dryer? (you could be traveling through the area)
A moto specific place without smaller children that want to climb on your bike?
Even a little wrenching in the evenings?

Someplace that has the things you want/need but none of the 'amenities' you're not using but still have to pay for?


If you like to ride WV roads (or would like to ride them) tell me what you're looking for. I know what I want when I ride/travel. I also know what I hate wasting money on stuff I'm not even using.

But I'm not everyone. What are you looking for?

I'm looking for a new job and if I can have one by starting what could amount to a DC Sportsbike clubhouse then that could be a win/win.


Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/

Last edited by lam@dcsf; November 25, 2015 at 03:00 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ
 
windblown's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,953
Join Date: June 17, 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
November 25, 2015, 11:42 AM

My solution to be able to enjoy twisty roads and low traffic 24/7 was to move here.

Are you thinking along the lines of TWO (Two wheels of Suches), or a basic bed and breakfast?

For a higher capacity setup a set of simple log bunk houses without running water, perhaps a mini fridge and then a separate common bath/shower/laundry area would be the best and possibly only way to go. A large covered pavilion for folks to get out of the rain/heat with a nice fire-pit nearby would be cool.

Biggest issue with rural area setups like this is handling the waste/septic. Permits for a conventional septic system are almost impossible to get even for a single family home anymore and the alternative systems are a huge expense.

You could locate at the outskirts of a town with water/sewer but land cost and taxes would be higher and the area might not appeal as much to those looking to escape.

I like your concept. I'd think it would appeal to lots of folks looking to get away from the grind and step get out into nature without actually roughing it. And if you can find a nice piece of property with a suitable septic already installed at the right price you're 80% of the way there!


There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
no one's blowing up moons
 
lam@dcsf's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,043
Join Date: December 17, 2011
Location: killing cages bare-handed since '13
November 25, 2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Are you thinking along the lines of TWO (Two wheels of Suches), or a basic bed and breakfast?
Too expensive - to start or to stay at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
For a higher capacity setup a set of simple log bunk houses without running water, perhaps a mini fridge and then a separate common bath/shower/laundry area would be the best and possibly only way to go. A large covered pavilion for folks to get out of the rain/heat with a nice fire-pit nearby would be cool.
And so is this^.



However, I have a plan

But I only have the funding to start this once so the question is Do it here? or Do it in some other part of the country?

For that I need to know if there's interest here. So ya' gonna vote or what?


Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/

Last edited by lam@dcsf; November 25, 2015 at 12:56 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ
 
windblown's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,953
Join Date: June 17, 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
November 25, 2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post

For that I need to know if there's interest here. So ya' gonna vote or what?
I can't, you didn't list an option or both ON and Off-pavement.

If a campground with some simple bunk houses, a regular tent campground (TWO offers both), or a basic version of a bed and breakfast are all too expensive to start up, or stay at for your target audience I have to admit you've peaked my interest as to what you'd be offering over a free National Forest campsite.

I tend to hit Motel 6's and the like when on the road from point A to B. Or I'll camp/bunkhouse someplace I can get a shower if planning to stay in the area for a day or two. Remote or stealth camping can be fun as well, but it's free so not much there in the way of a business model.

A place that might draw me like a moth to a flame would be a decent campground/cabin outfit in prime riding territory specializing in local knowledge of the best roads (paved and unpaved) in the area, and have available local routes and locations of points of interest.


There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
no one's blowing up moons
 
lam@dcsf's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,043
Join Date: December 17, 2011
Location: killing cages bare-handed since '13
November 25, 2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
I can't, you didn't list an option or both ON and Off-pavement.
You can vote more that one option ya' know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
If a campground with some simple bunk houses, a regular tent campground (TWO offers both), or a basic version of a bed and breakfast are all too expensive to start up, or stay at for your target audience I have to admit you've peaked my interest as to what you'd be offering over a free National Forest campsite.
It's moto only so all the other vehicle/family friendly stuff isn't there. I don't have to pay to build it and you don't have to pay to maintain it. You will however have to make your own sammichs. (unless you want to pay me to do it, but you won't be paying me to make someone else's sammich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
I tend to hit Motel 6's and the like when on the road from point A to B. Or I'll camp/bunkhouse someplace I can get a shower if planning to stay in the area for a day or two. Remote or stealth camping can be fun as well, but it's free so not much there in the way of a business model.
Nice hot shower, not in a always damp/wet block house type environment.
Bunk & mattress, maybe best described as porch style? And no, you won't get rained on. (but bring a sleeping bag the first few years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
A place that might draw me like a moth to a flame would be a decent campground/cabin outfit in prime riding territory specializing in local knowledge of the best roads (paved and unpaved) in the area, and have available local routes and locations of points of interest.
Not tellin'. You'll just have to come see the fun toys.


I gave you enough to vote on, I'm not giving away my ideas. Why you ask for so much questions? You wanna invest?


Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ
 
windblown's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,953
Join Date: June 17, 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
November 25, 2015, 03:34 PM

OK. I'll vote.

The questions were based on plain old curiosity. Hey it's MC related so I'm always going to be curious. Investing in startups ain't my thing, though if you have something truly groundbreaking I'd listen to the pitch! But I'm more likely to just want to come pay you some money and enjoy this mystery plan of yours if it's a good one.

On that note: Set up out west. Spending time out west is high on my priority list. Love the east coast but I've seen most of it from Maine to Florida. Need something new!


There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Posts: 722
Join Date: August 5, 2015
Location: Manassas
November 25, 2015, 08:45 PM

Vote No.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Posts: 722
Join Date: August 5, 2015
Location: Manassas
November 25, 2015, 08:46 PM

I only go to wv for Hatfield Mccoy trails. and as far as street seldom go to wv to ride. Best of luck to you.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ
 
drt_Jumper's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,921
Join Date: August 28, 2007
Location: Manassas Va
November 26, 2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee703 View Post
I only go to wv for Hatfield Mccoy trails. and as far as street seldom go to wv to ride. Best of luck to you.
Yeah WV roads suck. Too many turns, not enough long straights. Not enough cars and texters to dodge either.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider
 
Posts: 215
Join Date: August 3, 2007
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
November 26, 2015, 08:50 AM

We used to go to Sugar Grove Navy Base once or twice a year, sadly it has closed. $65 an night cabins that were bigger than my first house and cheap food and beverages made it an easy weekend. To answer the original question we went for the roads. It put us right in between 250 and 33 and everything that connected it was awesome.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
GDMFSOB
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,543
Join Date: June 22, 2008
Location: North PWC
November 26, 2015, 09:41 AM

Hard choices. I like sammiches.


#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.