DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 526
0 members and 526 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Why not to get DirecTV
Unread
  (#1)
I'm an Asshole

Why not to get DirecTV - November 1, 2006, 03:51 PM

Because you sign your life away.

I loved the service I got, and the Sunday Ticket, but the biggest mistake I ever made was trying to get High Def with them, and it is because of their bad business practices.

So, I realize that DirecTV likes to charge an unbelievably high amount for their recievers. I'm ok with that, because the monthly bills are low. I'm also aware that they have contracts, much like cell phone companies. I don't agree with it, but hey, its how they choose to do business.

Knowing that, in October of 05 I spent 600$ on a DirecTV HD Tivo. I bought this from Best Buy. I bought it knowing that I lived on the first floor of an apartment and there was limited visibility. But I was told by Best Buy it has a 30 day return policy, so if it doesn't work I'd just return it. So I hooked it up myself. Not a good enough signal to justify 600$ so I returned the equipment to Best Buy and canceled my service. I was told by the Installer that reception changes with seasons so I thought I'd try again during winter.

So up comes Feb and I buy the DirecTV HD box from Best Buy again. Do the same thing... have a professional come over to install it, and the DirecTV Installer himself told me no line of sight, return your equipment.

So, that brings us current to me moving out of my old apartment. Now I am at a location where I cannot recieve a signal at all, so obviously I have to cancel my service. I do so, and last month I get a bill for 300$ in the mail. An early termination fee, for the equipment I returned.

I called the customer service reps who would mostly agree that if I returned my equipment then I should not be held to the 2 year commitment. After all, I cancelled well within 30 days as I was directed to do so by THEIR installer. The most messed up part about it, is that the customer service representatives can't or wont take off the charge. They must "escalate" the matter to the Account Management department. They do this by writing a brief note and asking the charge be dropped. The escalation's always come back denied for an invalid reason. They beleive I had service from Oct 05 until Feb 06. They are missing that the HD service was cancelled during that time. The customer rep said that I would recieve a letter stating the reason, but if its the same she said over the phone, its bs. Its been 10 days since that and still no letter. They will not give me the number to the Account Management Department.

I want to write a letter to someone, but I don't know who. I've spoken with supervisors who while understanding and cooperative, said that Account Management has the final say, and they do not have a number to transfer me to. I guess I will settle for venting my frustration on .net

Does anyone have any advice for me? I would feel like I was raped, if I just shelled out the 300$, but I also don't want anything going against my credit score.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 1, 2006, 03:56 PM

Yea with Directv you jst have to bend over and take it like a man! They owe me 100 bucks for 7 months now and still wont pay up!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm an Asshole

November 1, 2006, 03:58 PM

I refuse to take anything but Keirra Knightley's finger up my ass.

I will fight the man!

-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#4)
PewPew

November 1, 2006, 03:59 PM

jump the border and say goodbye to credit

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#5)
singin sweet home alabama

November 1, 2006, 04:48 PM

Is $300 worth going to some kind of dispute resolution?

Sue in small claims court? Heck, maybe just threatening will get them back off, since small claims are pretty unpredictable.

I had similar concerns when I wanted to go to HD satellite. In the end, I decided there were too many concerns and possible issues to warrant choosing it over HD cable. As much as I wanted to get Sunday ticket, it wasn't worth signing my sanity over for.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#6)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

November 1, 2006, 07:21 PM

Call your credit card company asap and explain the situation. They should help protect you in this case.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#7)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

November 2, 2006, 07:32 AM

I used to work in a call center for a satelite company down at VTech, just so you know that installer was full of shit about the signal changing by the season. The only reason what he said could make sense would be less leaves on trees. The satelite and the dish work on line of sight. Installers are the most retarded scoundrels there are and wouldn't trust a word that comes out of their mouth.

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

November 2, 2006, 07:44 AM

Better Business Bureau and calll FOX 5. Im sure your not the only person they screwed.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

November 2, 2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R
Better Business Bureau and calll FOX 5. Im sure your not the only person they screwed.
+1 on calling the BBB. File a formal complaint (i think you can even do this on their website) www.bbb.com
Unread
  (#10)
Jake's Mom

November 2, 2006, 07:52 AM

Better Business Bureau. They helped me in the past with a similar situation with Adelphia. I got my $$$ even tho it took forever to get it

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
I'm an Asshole

November 2, 2006, 09:32 AM

I have not paid anything to DirecTV yet. Should I be worried about them going to collections to get their money back? I think that means it would go on my credit report. I'll look into reporting them to the bbb, but what really does that do? Will they get a mediator? Would I have to pay for that?

300$ is still a large chunk of change no matter who you are. If I'd pay it I would feel like it was stolen from me. I don't want to be bullied by these guys, because I feel that I'm right. I'm really just afriad of them hurting my credit.

-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
Unread
  (#12)
Where am I?

November 2, 2006, 10:54 AM

Here's what my ceiling looked like after their "professional installation".

16 FZ-07
07 Gixxer 750 *SOLD*
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

November 2, 2006, 11:06 AM

The Better Business Bureau helped me to get my life on track.

THANKS Better Business Bureau!!!

Call you CC company and tell them that according to the terms of service you are owed $300 by dish. Did you pay with CC or through a bank. Remember that your CC company is really on your side, not thiers, make THEM resolve the issue.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#14)
I'm an Asshole

November 2, 2006, 12:04 PM

I have not paid anything to DirecTV yet

-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
Unread
  (#15)
B
It goes to 11.

November 2, 2006, 12:44 PM

Then pay via credit card and put a stop payment.

Then they have to negotiate with your CC company for the money. Make them come for the money. Either they will submit evidence that you DO owe $300 (then you should pay it) or they will not be able to show that you actually owe the money.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B