DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
3 members and 526 guests
fxc3700, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Wiehle-Reston East Metro Motorcycle Parking
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Wiehle-Reston East Metro Motorcycle Parking - July 17, 2014, 01:54 PM

I posted this over at city-data too, but I figured you guys may have more at stake with this question. Has anyone been out to this upcoming Metro station and checked out the kiss and ride yet to see if there's going to be moto parking in the lot? This will end up being one of my commute options from Herndon, and I was hoping someone had checked it out already. Thanks in advance for any information.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

July 17, 2014, 01:57 PM

I work in the town center and pass the metro stop on my way back home every day. Ill try to swing by and check it out. Ill let you know what i find

Not all those who wonder are lost
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Skype™ to TheFamousSamWise 
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

July 17, 2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFamousSamWise View Post
I work in the town center and pass the metro stop on my way back home every day. Ill try to swing by and check it out. Ill let you know what i find
Thank you!

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#4)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 17, 2014, 03:35 PM

That's one of the many places I will never park my bike. No thanks.

Despite the amount of 'normal' people that use the metro it also attracts some of the worst and those individuals have zero respect for nice things or other peoples property.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#5)
Parkin lot pimpin'

July 17, 2014, 03:41 PM

Personally I would never park my motorcycle at the metro...I used to live next to the vienna metro and my R6 was stolen. Can you guess how the theives got there? METRO! They caught some of the dudes who stole a few bikes in that area that night because they dumped 2 while being chased.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

July 17, 2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoSJ3 View Post
...I used to live next to the vienna metro and my R6 was stolen..
where near the vienna metro did you live? Like right in those town homes across the street?

Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

July 17, 2014, 03:55 PM

I know there's some risk involved, but I used the BART in San Francisco from Bay Point (aka Gun Point...it was a really bad area) to the city and never had a problem. During the day at a Metro, there are so many people around I would think a typical thief would be kind of hesitant to steal a bike. I used a disc lock with an alarm too which helped I'm sure.

Does anyone know of a bike getting stolen at a Metro?

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#8)
Parkin lot pimpin'

July 17, 2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFamousSamWise View Post
where near the vienna metro did you live? Like right in those town homes across the street?
Condos on the other side. A little ways behind the ICF building at the corner of Nutley and 29. A-holes even came back to try and steal my roommate's GSX-R while I was waiting for the cops. Got to watch my own motorcycle ride past me and then we hopped in the truck and tried to chase.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

July 17, 2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoSJ3 View Post
Condos on the other side. A little ways behind the ICF building at the corner of Nutley and 29. A-holes even came back to try and steal my roommate's GSX-R while I was waiting for the cops. Got to watch my own motorcycle ride past me and then we hopped in the truck and tried to chase.
Yikes. I live in the neighborhood behind the lil elementary school there on nutley near 66. Hopefully they dont venture too far in.

One of the worst things about getting a bike stolen, is that the perps know where to come back to when the insurance check comes in for a replacement bike :-\

Unread
  (#10)
Eddie would go ...

July 17, 2014, 06:03 PM

I haven't seen any moto specific parking yet but you can check it out in person this Sat at the open house. All Metro parking will be at the new parking garage structure

info:

Fairfax County is holding an open house Saturday to show potential Metro riders their access and parking options.

There will be a ceremonial ribbon cutting at 10 a.m. The open house runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visitors can tour the transportation center and talk to representatives from Metro, Dulles Corridor Rail Project and Fairfax Connector.
When Phase 1 of the Silver Line opens July 26, Wiehle-Reston East will be the only onsite parking garage at the five new Metro stations in Phase 1.

3,300 public parking spaces (eventually there will be fewer when office space at Reston Station is leased)
45 “Kiss and Ride” spaces
10 bus bays on the north side, 5 on the south
A secure locker room for over 200 bicycles.
The garage was built as a public- private partnership by Comstock and Fairfax County. The county owns the commuter garage, and Metro will collect parking fees. The rates will be the same as at other Metro garages in the county:

$4.85 per day
$65 a month for reserved parking

$75 a year for using the secure bike room. The $75 fee includes a one-time $15 registration fee and $60 for the first year’s annual membership.
The bike room is the first of its kind for Fairfax County. There will be both vertical and regular parking, as well as room for oversized bikes or bikes with trailers. It features two fully-equipped “fix-it” stations with pumps and tools and a work bench for bike repairs. Additional bike parking is also available for non-members.

The bus station at Wiehle-Reston East features 10 bus bays on the north side of the Toll Road, and five bus bays on the south side of the Toll Road. In addition to Fairfax Connector service, Washington Flyer will operate its Silver Line Express from the north side, and Loudoun County Transit will operate bus service from the south side.

A Connector Store is located on the north side bus platform, where passengers can purchase fare cards, speak to a customer service representative, and find maps, timetables and information.

The current commuter lot, Sunset Hills Interim Park and Ride, will permanently close at midnight on July 25. The 600-space lot at the intersection of Sunset Hills Road and Town Center Parkway was temporary parking while Wiehle was under construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#11)
Silence... I keeeel you

July 17, 2014, 11:02 PM

There is motorcycle parking. It's mixed in with the car parking. The lanes are the same size as the car spots. Sometimes cars park in them. But if you get there first, you park your bike in them. Then the car does not...usually.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

July 18, 2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
There is motorcycle parking. It's mixed in with the car parking. The lanes are the same size as the car spots. Sometimes cars park in them. But if you get there first, you park your bike in them. Then the car does not...usually.
Ugh, I was hoping for free parking in the kiss and ride like so many stations have. Thanks for the information.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#13)
Warming up the tires

July 18, 2014, 08:18 AM

Does anyone know if the commuter lot at Wiehle and Sunset Hills Rd will still be open? I park there and ride my bicycle into DC some days. It would suck to have to pay to park in the metro garage. But I figure they will close all commuter lots to increase the use of the garage.

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#14)
Knee Draggin!

July 18, 2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
Ugh, I was hoping for free parking in the kiss and ride like so many stations have. Thanks for the information.
Sarcasm