DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
1 members and 557 guests
BigDaddyShoo
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
windows backups over internet...
Unread
  (#1)
I came I saw I shat mysef

windows backups over internet... - March 17, 2012, 11:19 AM

Not being a windows guy I am trying to find a solution to automated backup of files from an off-site (access via inernet) Windows 2008 server to a local Windows 2003 server mounted drive. I tried google and find tons of products for this but isn't there anything in windows for handling this securely? something like rsync over ssh for unix?

I found thls: Online Data Backup & Storage – CrashPlan – Backup Software, Disaster Recovery
But I am not sure how secure it might be.. Any other ideas?

( Putting thins on .net cause I know there's tons of windows admins here. )

thanks,

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a llama again!

March 17, 2012, 11:30 AM

Your going to have to learn power shell. Play with shadow copy this is a pretty good write up. But you have your work cut out for you

Configuring Volume Shadow Copy on Windows Server 2008 - Techotopia
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a llama again!

March 17, 2012, 11:34 AM

You could setup shadow copy then have a power shell script kick off and SFTP or ssh.

How to install an SSH Server in Windows Server 2008

Are both these servers on a public ip? Ir do you have a site to site VPN running?
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 17, 2012, 12:05 PM

We did it through an existing VPN connection, so i can't help you. But the links slider posted seem to be worth taking a look at.

Powershell. Man... I've gotten real good at powershell lately. I'm pretty sure there's a cmdlet for everything.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#5)

March 17, 2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
You could setup shadow copy then have a power shell script kick off and SFTP or ssh.

How to install an SSH Server in Windows Server 2008

Are both these servers on a public ip? Ir do you have a site to site VPN running?
ya, done that before.. Was hoping there was an easier way, maybe some easy Windows utility I had just overlooked.. But it seems NOT....

I especially don't want to put a full blown cygwin on the boxes..

and ya, used power shell before, but compared to *any* of the unix script shells its a total POS (but anything is better than DOS)..

I already have a small-footprint rsync client running on the 2003 box which is good enough to do fetches (but currently fetching from unix systems).

It seems really sad to me that basically the best way to do this is to install unix parts on the server.. lol..

-john

Unread
  (#6)
turn or crash....

March 17, 2012, 01:33 PM

If there is VPN between the two sites, use DFS Replication. If not you could probably still do it over the net, would just take some configuring of ports etc..

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

March 17, 2012, 09:59 PM

Have you tried wbadmin? It's what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#8)

March 18, 2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Have you tried wbadmin? It's what I use.

Unless I missed something... I don't think that either shadow copy or wbadmin are setup to transfer files across the internet. Everything I saw online about them made reference to shared and local drives. nothing about internet file transfers.

Just trying to install ssh and get it running now.. Keep having damned permission problems.. NOT fun..

-john

Unread
  (#9)
Mojito Anyone?

March 18, 2012, 08:26 AM

Data & Enterprise Backup Software, Data Protection & Deduplication Backup - CommVault

Is what we use for our backups...I haven't read in depth of its full capabilities but I guess read the site over and see if it does what you want..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#10)
Curiouser and curiouser

March 18, 2012, 04:09 PM

WinSCP has SSH protocol, you can save your connections, and there is some pretty powerful javascripting control, if you're looking for an economic solution.

Cheers

2004 Ducati ST3
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a llama again!

March 18, 2012, 04:09 PM

This is a work around for you that is pretty easy to setup. Install IIS on the remote server. Create a SFTP site that requires a user name and password. Then on the other server map a network drive to that SFTP server. Then setup shadow copy to back up to that network drive. Should take you maybe 20 minutes to do.

This is only a good solution if you have public ip for the remote server.

If you have a site to site VPN setup that just create a file share on the remote server. Then on the server you want to back up map that shared drive. Then set shadow copy to use that.
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

March 18, 2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jron

Unless I missed something... I don't think that either shadow copy or wbadmin are setup to transfer files across the internet. Everything I saw online about them made reference to shared and local drives. nothing about internet file transfers.

Just trying to install ssh and get it running now.. Keep having damned permission problems.. NOT fun..
Your original post said to a mounted drive. Can your 08 see your 03? Shared drive. Etc?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#13)

March 19, 2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Your original post said to a mounted drive. Can your 08 see your 03? Shared drive. Etc?

no can see.. 2008 is on a cloud out on the wild web.
The 2003 box is in the customer's local network.
I do not think I will be allowed to set up a VPN.

I already have an rsync client running on the local 2003 box that fetches from various linux boxes out on the net. (I have not been successful at setting up an rsync server) This is the first time I have needed to collect backup files from a remote windows server. Outbound ssh connections haven't been a problem, its the inbound ones that cause some kind of permission issue. I'm just missing something.. I check the user accounts and (when necessary) the /etc/passwd and group files. everything *looks* ok, yet the logins always fail. This issue is on both the 2003 and 2008 boxes however I expect the 2003 logins to fail because the users are network users (not local) and most ssh servers have problems with that.

lol.. why, o WHY do people use windows for web servers?

-john

Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

March 19, 2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jron View Post
(but anything is better than DOS)..
For that statement you should be banned from ever using a computer again. That is sacrilegious!