DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 542
0 members and 542 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Is it worth it to fight a "small" ticket far away?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Is it worth it to fight a "small" ticket far away? - July 24, 2007, 10:02 AM

I got a ticket on my to go camping last weekend. I was going down a mountain in Allegany County (I'm in Baltimore) with my foot off the gas. The mountain was so steep that the car accelerated on its own. But sitting half way down the mountain was a set of cops straight pulling people over. I got 9 over (74 in a 65) when he said he clocked me at 83. The fine is $80 and I believe it's 1 point. Is it worth it to fight? I have no points/tickets on my record I don't think. But it's probably 2 hours away - maybe 3 - to see their courtroom. Is one point going to hurt me that much?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Being nice :)

July 24, 2007, 10:10 AM

FIGHT EVERY AND ANY TICKET YOU GET !!!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

I got one exactly like yours last month... any point is a bad point.

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#3)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 24, 2007, 10:10 AM

...it will hurt you during your next insurance policy renewal. Fight or not, it will cost you $$$

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

July 24, 2007, 10:51 AM

How much would it cost to get a lawyer to do it for me?
Unread
  (#5)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 24, 2007, 10:56 AM

speeding...easily $500 to $1000 depending on the attorney(arm and a foot in Fairfax County, VA). I figure it'll be cheaper to find one down there in the mountain counties.

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#6)
Ling Long

July 24, 2007, 11:05 AM

If you're not an MD state resident it's not really going to effect you. It won't go on your VA record and I don't think it'll effect your insurance.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#7)
I am a bitch, so what?

July 24, 2007, 11:32 AM

Go to court.

You can get the point dropped by just showing up and having a clean record. Depending on the judge and your record, I've seen them let people go with just paying the court costs.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 24, 2007, 11:40 AM

I knew people back in High School who usally got breaks for their 1st tickett. I'm asuming your older, so I would show up to court. And if you take a driving school class than most likely it will be def. drop. Good Luck. I goto court Aug. 28th, F paying the fine.

07' Ninja 650
99' Ninja 500 (sold)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

July 24, 2007, 01:33 PM

I'm a MD resident I live in Baltimore with all the cool people :-p

Sounds like I need to hear when my court date would be...
Unread
  (#10)
1/4 liter Duc eater

July 24, 2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter
I'm a MD resident I live in Baltimore with all the cool people :-p

Sounds like I need to hear when my court date would be...
it's not on your ticket?
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 25, 2007, 08:28 AM

It's my ticket.
Unread
  (#12)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

July 28, 2007, 10:17 PM

At your age I would go to court. Go to court, plead guilty w/ explanation. Tell the judge what happened. Make sure that what you tell the judge is what you told the cop at the scene. And be sure to mention that you made the trip from baltimore because you are genuinely concerned about your driving record.

Wear nice clothes when you go to court, be couteous. If your record is clean, no points within 3 years, no tickets, no accidents, the judge may give you a "PBJ", or down grade the points & up the fine. MD is in a budget crunch, so municipalities like the $$.

PBJ = probabtion before judgement. Basically if you go a certain period of time, typically 1 or two years w/ no tickets, the charges will be dropped and no points assessed if you don't get another ticket in the prescribed timeframe. I've has a couple of these. If you get a PBJ they will probably add about $40-$50 to the fine.

Last one of these I had was in 2004. They gave me a 2 yr PBJ for 15 mph over the limit in my PU truck.

Or you may get lucky and the cop will FTA (failure to appear), and in that case your off the hook. If you've never been to court it might be worth just going to traffic court and watch what happens. Go to the one in Ellicott City.

Now if you know 100% on the day you appear that the cop has not shown, you can plead not guilty, and since the cop is not there to give testimony, they'll throw the case out, no fine, charges dropped. But if the cop is their, plead guilty w/ explanation.

Your charge is pretty minor, and as long as you didn't get smart w/ the cop they'll probably cut you a break. And in the end, I don't think 1 point on your license will make that big of a difference.

For Alleghany county you'll probably have to appear in court in Cumberland (my hometown BTW). make a daytrip out of it. There are some cool things up there to do.

Good Luck! -Mark

Last edited by morsetaper2; July 28, 2007 at 10:22 PM..
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

August 6, 2007, 11:02 AM

For those that don't know, Cutter is 28

Thanks Mark! I'll have to see how the whole court date thing works. I went once before when I was in college. I got a minor speeding ticket "driving an unreasonable speed" when I was on my way home with a cute blond chick and a rice burner pulled up beside me at a stop light and gave me "the look". I think I was 20. I was in my Camaro and couldn't help but toast him. The cop was on coming traffic on his way to dunkin donuts and so didn't really know how fast I was going. I got a PBJ.